Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:48 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Newsflash. There is not state income tax in Washington. We mostly operate on sin taxes. Things like alcohol, cigarettes and marijuana. This was an attempt to help the homeless that was not popular and they are looking to rescind it. It's not complicated and "punk" doesn't even make sense.
If you want to help the homeless, build more housing. And stop enabling these drug addicts. It is the worst thing you could do for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If you want to help the homeless, build more housing. And stop enabling these drug addicts. It is the worst thing you could do for them.
See previous post. Tiny houses are being built as it is. And drug treatment is the best thing which Seattle is trying to offer, funded by marijuana tax revenue. Far more than a lot of red states like Texas do. If Trump supporters think drug treatment is a waste of time and money, why do they support Trump's efforts to offer drug treatment in Appalachia? Maybe we need to take that money back and buy them graves instead? Which is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zAS3uXF0cLU

Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
See previous post. Tiny houses are being built as it is. And drug treatment is the best thing which Seattle is trying to offer, funded by marijuana tax revenue. Far more than a lot of red states like Texas do. If Trump supporters think drug treatment is a waste of time and money, why do they support Trump's efforts to offer drug treatment in Appalachia? Maybe we need to take that money back and buy them graves instead? Which is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=zAS3uXF0cLU
I do not think drug treatment is a waste of time. I think allowing junkies to shoot up near City Hall or in parks is enabling them at the expense of the other residents. It’s not a good idea. And you have no idea what Texans do for their homeless or drug addicts. At least the city doesn’t have to do weekly sweeps of used needles everywhere, or clean up human feces from people’s yards.

Do you think allowing them to do it anywhere they want is ever going to pressure them to quit? It’s not good for them or the city.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I do not think drug treatment is a waste of time. I think allowing junkies to shoot up near City Hall or in parks is enabling them at the expense of the other residents. It’s not a good idea. And you have no idea what Texans do for their homeless or drug addicts.
I do know Texas ranks 45th in charitable giving and has the highest percentage without health coverage in the entire country. Seattle is actually trying to help these people and Washington state is the 6th most charitable state in the country. We do not have income tax and our property taxes are far far lower than Texas.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I do know Texas ranks 45th in charitable giving and has the highest percentage without health coverage in the entire country. Seattle is actually trying to help these people and Washington state is the 6th most charitable state in the country. We do not have income tax and our property taxes are far far lower than Texas.
That Wallethub study leaves out a whole lot.

Texas is No. 48 in charity gifts? Depends who

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
And I never denigrated your state. I think the policy on homelessness is wrongheaded, because I think it’s enabling.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
That link is four years old. I found one from November and Washington is the 6th most generous in the country. Minnesota is third. Texas is 45th.

2017’s Most Charitable States
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-l...e-states/8555/
According to Wallethub people from both parties are about equally generous. I am not a big fan of wallet hub and how they gather their info. I think their data is flawed. But I will let that go for now.

And Washington State is generous. Taxes are lower than many other states. Of course Seattle is trying to change that.

Here is another study from late 2017. You see mostly red states are the most generous. With Washington State also among the best:

U.S. charitable giving map: How and where Americans donate - Rawhide

Old 06-11-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
According to Wallethub republican states give more than democrat states do. Look at the Generosity of Red vs. Blue graphic. Thanks for proving my point with your link.

And Washington State is generous. Taxes are lower than many other states. Of course Seattle is trying to change that.

Here is another study from late 2017. You see mostly red states are the most generous. With Washington State also among the best:

U.S. charitable giving map: How and where Americans donate - Rawhide
Seattle is simply trying to programmatically help the homeless. They passed a bill that wasn't popular and it's likely to be rescinded. They will need to look for other methods. And Washington is very generous, as is Seattle. But really, the best solution for Trump supporters is to just stay out of Washington so we can all be happy.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Seattle is simply trying to programmatically help the homeless. They passed a bill that wasn't popular and it's likely to be rescinded. They will need to look for other methods. And Washington is very generous, as is Seattle. But really, the best solution for Trump supporters is to just stay out of Washington so we can all be happy.
I am not a Trump supporter if that was directed at me. I actually lived in Seattle for a couple years, years ago. I liked everything but the gloom and rain. But I am a libertarian and I believe people are generous and the more income they keep the more they tend to give. Liberals believe the only way to help the poor is take it by force from everyone else.

I have lived all over California, Portland, Seattle as well as very conservative states. There are good people everywhere and I would never limit myself to people of one ideology. I don't get people who preach diversity but want to live somewhere without any diversity of opinions.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I am not a Trump supporter if that was directed at me. I actually lived in Seattle for a couple years, years ago. I liked everything but the gloom and rain. But I am a libertarian and I believe people are generous and the more income they keep the more they tend to give. Liberals believe the only way to help the poor is take it by force from everyone else.
Except Washington is liberal and the 6th most charitable state in the country so that sort of negates the argument. And it rains horribly, we have moss growing everywhere with unrelenting gloom so good choice leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies