Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44438812

80% of the population wanted it to stay. Isn’t this a democracy?
Please post some facts about your percentages?

Everyone I know is happy and it only seems some Obama lovers are unhappy!

Another good day!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why are there only one, maybe two ISPs for any given area in the US? Why did Google need years and $millions in legal fees to be allowed to lay Google Fiber in exactly two very small areas in the entire US? Why does an ancient behemoth telecomm giant own the last mile of wire in a wireless world?
Quityourbellyachin' It's not like those internets companies passed on the government extortion fee to it's customers.

oh wait.......

Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
I really don’t understand how any average person can be against net neutrality.

But as the saying goes:

“Ya but I didn’t know the leopards would eat my face!”- People who voted for the “Leapards Eating People’s Faces Administration”.
I really don’t understand how any average person including you can have any idea about what net neutrality really is!

How about Affordable Care? That must affordable, no?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How about you? What do you know about Net Neutrality?
I have pages of posts on this forum about the topic, look it up.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Another good day!
Had nothing to do with party. This was for all of us genious.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Another good day!
Here you go: Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton a 98 percent chance of winning the general election on Tuesday.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e80b02ca2498

Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Corporations cannot make laws. They do not possess a monopoly on force and violence. They have competitors, who like them must compete for your business. If corporations run afoul of the law, unlike government, they can be and quite frequently are prosecuted.

Everything you fear about the rollback of yet another Obama overreach is based on government force and violence going back to the 1934 Telecomm Act. Government meddling is why nobody can lay fiber networks to kick the old telecomm dinosaurs' arses.

In fact, every possible reason why our national data network capability is substandard compared to other industrialized nations traces back to government meddling, typically on behalf of cable/telecomm monopoly protection.

All net neutrality was designed to do is strengthen the federal grip on that monopoly and force all tribute, protection money and racketeering through K-Street accountants working on behalf of fed.gov.
The "government" does not block anyone from laying fiber. Of course you need permits like you would for any utility work. Cost is the issue. For fiber itself, you're looking at about 10 to 12k per mile. That's only for the cable itself and the labor to install it. Then you have to add equipment cost, both for the passive part (splice closures, patch panels, terminations, drops, etc) and the active part (GPON OLTs and ONTs, transceivers, monitoring equipment, routers, etc). Don't forget you'll need to consider the business costs as well, technicians, customer service, technical support, etc.

So it is an outlay of millions of dollars even to fiber up a small town, which is where speeds are most lacking.

And as for 'everywhere else' has better internet than we do? Gubmint regulation is why they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I have pages of posts on this forum about the topic, look it up.
I am not your secretary. Post what you know please.

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
I really don’t understand how any average person can be against net neutrality.

But as the saying goes:

“Ya but I didn’t know the leopards would eat my face!”- People who voted for the “Leapards Eating People’s Faces Administration”.
Did you know that wireless broadband was never subject to FCC attempts at neutrality rules? Not ever.

Was wireless broadband service interrupted due to this exemption from "neutrality" rules?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The "government" does not block anyone from laying fiber. Of course you need permits like you would for any utility work. Cost is the issue. For fiber itself, you're looking at about 10 to 12k per mile. That's only for the cable itself and the labor to install it. Then you have to add equipment cost, both for the passive part (splice closures, patch panels, terminations, drops, etc) and the active part (GPON OLTs and ONTs, transceivers, monitoring equipment, routers, etc). Don't forget you'll need to consider the business costs as well, technicians, customer service, technical support, etc.

So it is an outlay of millions of dollars even to fiber up a small town, which is where speeds are most lacking.

And as for 'everywhere else' has better internet than we do? Gubmint regulation is why they do.
Did you seriously write this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies