Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 02:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,449,948 times

Advertisements

Some questions for those who know more about this than me.

Sanctions imposed on Russia have forced Russia to turn to the East. Is this a good thing?

If this trend continues (the dollar being dropped in favor of other currencies) can it hurt the US and if so, how?

What can we expect in the future? A more self sufficient USA? A debilitated America?

The article.

https://www.rt.com/business/429229-r...al-currencies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:59 PM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
They've been trying this for years. It hasn't gone anywhere.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:08 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
China is now making oil deals in their yuan, eliminating petrodollars.

China is also stockpiling gold to back up their currency.

FYI

Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They've been trying this for years. It hasn't gone anywhere.
Let me rephrase my prior post, so it is clear to all what I meant even if it does conflict with certain people's narratives.

The US position in the world economy is under jeopardy by Trump. His pulling out of the Iran deal, the Paris accords, his assault on our allies, his unpredictability and a tax cut that will just explode the deficit will cause the world's nations to question the stability of the dollar.

The Western world has been behind the dollar as the world's reserve currency. But as we have seen at the G-7 summit, Trump is no friend to our European allies.

Does that mean the dollar is doomed? No, other than China and Russia and other foes of the US will attempt to exploit our weaknesses and ineptitude for their gain.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
It is not that they have Trump on their side it is ignorant US foreign policy. The Russian sanctions put in place drove them into stronger alliance with China.
The U S reserve currency is being chipped away at by China and Russia and won t take place over night.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 PM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Some questions for those who know more about this than me.

Sanctions imposed on Russia have forced Russia to turn to the East. Is this a good thing?

If this trend continues (the dollar being dropped in favor of other currencies) can it hurt the US and if so, how?

What can we expect in the future? A more self sufficient USA? A debilitated America?

The article.

https://www.rt.com/business/429229-r...al-currencies/
The US dollar is the primary reserve currency of the world and that allows the US government and US citizens to borrow at lower rates. I've seen estimates that this saves the US government and citizens about $100 billion per year which would be about .5% of the US GDP...so if the word adopted a different currency, it would have a minor negative impact of America.

However, no other currency has been able to attract much interest over the US dollar....fundamentally, another currency would have to develop a confidence greater than the USD and all efforts to date to do that have been a miserable failure...pissing in the wind.

As far as Russia and China trading their oil in another currency, negligible impact to the US and probably temporary too.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Imagine the hyperinflation if the US dollar was no longer the worlds currency and all that money came home?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,113 times
Yes I’m sure Russia Today believes that they can displace the dollar as a world reserve currency. In the real fact based world though, they have little chance of pulling it off. Since currencies are backed by output rather than gold reserves, the USA easily outpaces China, accounting for nearly a quarter of the worlds economic output. Add to that the fact that Russia accounts for less than 2% why would China hook themselves up to that loser?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I've been noting for years that this is coming and other countries are going to join in. When it does we can no longer simply print what we want and get people to accept it.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:23 PM

30,385 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've been noting for years that this is coming and other countries are going to join in. When it does we can no longer simply print what we want and get people to accept it.
The USD was 47% of the reserve currency world wide in 1990 and is 63% today and it has fluctuated up and down over that time but the dollar has remained the strongest currency so I don't see anything to suggest this changes drammatically in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies