Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should an elected President be required to release their tax return?
Yes 86 53.09%
No 76 46.91%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times

Advertisements

He played everyone. From the beginning, he kept saying that they were going to release his tax papers to satisfy the people asking for them. He knew he was never going to release them. Why play it up that he would if he never had any intention of doing so. I’ve watched countless video of him saying he had no issue releasing them. He’s a liar. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
The fact that he said he would release them and hasn’t is very telling.
Oh wait.

He stated he would provide then. Then later he stated he would not provide them.

Is that not a flip flop?

Where are the Swift Boat People now?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:10 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Only a crooked president wouldn't release their tax returns.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:11 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
I think they should be required to release returns before the election. The tax returns can give us voters some insight into the candidate that could influence our vote. For example, they might tell whether the candidate has financial dealings with another country that would serve as a conflict of interest if they were to be elected. Also, one thing I always like to do is compare what percentage of the candidate's income they donate to charity. It tells us something about the person's moral character.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 12,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think you and others missed the OP's point.

What if we've elected someone with conflicts of interest? Obvious conflicts of interest? Ones that are influencing him right at this moment?
Everyone has conflicts of interests. I know exactly why you want to see someone's tax returns, I'm saying it's not a requirement to run for president and shouldn't be mandated. Other than the basic age and natural born citizen requirement - the only requirement to become president is a popularity contest over the aggregate 50 states. If a candidate doesn't release his returns, feel free to voice your displeasure and withhold your vote.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
This is a flimsy basis for presuming that everything will be above-board. With Trump's tweets about the Mueller investigations (and the response from much of his base), we're witnessing what happens when a government body investigates something that a high-profile target doesn't want exposed.

If Mueller, a Republican, is leading a team of "13 Angry Democrats," just imagine what Trump and his supporters would say about a tax audit from the IRS -- an agency that is already vilified by people on both ends of the political spectrum.

Hint: it would turn political very quickly, and 40-60% of the country would reject the results, whatever the outcome.
I'm satisfied with regular audits. I need proof that something is not above board before wanting some kind of public inquiry outside of the normal audit process. I have no reason to suspect that Trump--while taking advantage of every loophole that he can--is not adhering to USA tax law. He has a team of high paid attorneys well versed in tax law filing his forms. The left wants the taxes released to embarrass by showing his low tax rate. Nothing more.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I believe every nominee with the exception of Donald Trump has done so for the past 4 decades. While there isn't a law about it, there's certainly a precedent.

Releasing tax returns shows a certain degree of transparency. It was in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal, in which it also arose that Nixon possibly falsified some info on his taxes (or rather, his accountants did) back in 69/70, that nominees began making their returns public.

I personally think that the reason President Trump has not released his, is not necessarily because of dodgy dealings, but because his income and worth is significantly less than what he claims.
And the fact that he didn't......and still got elected.....especially after promising to release them.....really 'chaps the hide' of a number of progressives.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:34 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If the records being hidden reflect illegal activity, the pubic has a right to know.
If there was illegal activity, the IRS would already know, since a tax return is an IRS form submitted to the IRS.

People that cheat the IRS go to jail. That's how you know they did something illegal with their tax return.

Also, big time wealthy people are audited almost every single year. Trump gets audited all the time, because the IRS likes going after big name scalps, same as the SEC and the other watchdog agencies. They've spent 30+ years trying to get Trump, and they haven't. Now if he is a s dumb as everyone claims, and was up to no good, the IRS would have already nailed him. Pretty odd that in all those years of trying, they haven't, eh? So what special investigative accounting skills and acumen do you and the media bring to the table that the folks in the audit division of the IRS don't possess?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
This should happen when first seeking election and every year they are in office. Presidential power is such that any executive decision could influence stock markets or financial decisionmaking resulting in a financial gain for the person in the office. If a president or public official lies about financial holdings or income, the tax records would be useful to set the record straight or serve as evidence in a tax fraud case.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
He's a politician and the only one to not play that game in 40 years.
Are you saying with a straight face that John Kerry didn't play that game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies