Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

I once had a job where I was required to go door to door. We would go in teams to certain neighborhoods. I was told "this is a good neighborhood, you should have success here". What happened on occasion was this: The police being called. At the place I worked at during the time, I was the token Black guy there. I notice the police were called on me far more than anyone else, where as the rest of my colleagues seldom had to deal with that. Let's just say I know a thing or two about the police being called on me vs watching other people receive more favorable treatment. It disgusted me, but it was something I never really talked about. I understood there would be many who would have no empathy for me. One reason I do feel like lashing out is because I'm told "there's no racism" or "you're exaggerating" and my experiences mirror the very opposite. Being lied to or being dismissed hurts alot.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
White people have been calling police on black people over nothing for a long time

In the most crime-ridden areas of our big cities, where the vast majority of shootings, assaults etc. occur, most police activity is responding to calls from local residents of those areas. And those residents are nearly always black... calling the police on other blacks.

Are the police supposed to refuse their calls?

Most black people are decent, law-abiding citizens, who want the same things most other people do: Good jobs, a safe neighborhood in which to raise their kids, peace and prosperity.

But as Troyfan pointed out, some ethnicities (he used east Asians) have so few lawbreakers (though never zero) among them, that they have earned a reputation as being overall decent and law-abiding. But with most police activity centered around black criminals (after being called by black residents who don't like what the black criminals keep doing), it's inevitable that "blacks will earn a reputation of being criminals, thugs, lawbreakers etc.". It is deserved... despite the fact that most black people never engage in such activities, and protest when others do.

The black people the OP mentioned, did nothing to deserve getting the cops called on them. But some of their fellow blacks did plenty to deserve it... and the reaction of others is inevitable, however mistaken about those particular surveyors, engineers etc.

As long as a minority of blacks keeps committing a disproportionate majority of crimes, an occasional non-black will keep calling the cops when they show up in their neighborhoods. The fact that the non-blacks are mistaken to do so in those particular cases, doesn't change the fact that a minority of blacks (the genuine criminals) are spoiling it for the decent, hardworking, law-abiding blacks.

And it's not white people's fault that an unusually large proportion of genuine criminals among blacks are spoiling it for the rest.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I once had a job where I was required to go door to door. We would go in teams to certain neighborhoods. I was told "this is a good neighborhood, you should have success here". What happened on occasion was this: The police being called. At the place I worked at during the time, I was the token Black guy there. I notice the police were called on me far more than anyone else, where as the rest of my colleagues seldom had to deal with that. Let's just say I know a thing or two about the police being called on me vs watching other people receive more favorable treatment. It disgusted me, but it was something I never really talked about. I understood there would be many who would have no empathy for me. One reason I do feel like lashing out is because I'm told "there's no racism" or "you're exaggerating" and my experiences mirror the very opposite. Being lied to or being dismissed hurts alot.
I live in a good neighborhood and can tell you people call the police on white solicitors all the time.

With all due respect, when you're given the talk that you refer to, you start seeing everything....all of your experiences...and the world as a whole, with an us vs them mentality. Because that's what the talk entails, doesn't it?

And sometimes...I'd say probably most times...it has nothing to do with race at all, it has to do with ornery people. But you'll never believe that because based on what you learned growing up, it's so inculcated in you that it's probably impossible to remove those beliefs. Add some bad experiences, which I have no doubt that you've had, and those beliefs become cement.

I've had a few bad experiences with black folks, including one where I was beaten up pretty badly and another in which I thought I was going to die. I was told I was going to die. He said he was going to kill me. I've also had numerous bad experiences with white folks, but none as bad as the ones I've had with black folks. The difference is, I was taught different things than you. I don't have an us vs them mentality.

If I was raised to think black people were thugs, my experiences with black folks would have made my beliefs concrete. But I wasn't raised that way, so I came out of those experiences knowing there are racists in all groups and they don't represent the majority.

How can black children getting that kind of talk ever trust white people? How can they not be racist? I would think it's impossible.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:27 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
[quote=miu;52449977]How long is the black community going to play the victim card?

Forever, as long as the jacksons and sharptons constantly telling them all that they will always be "victims".

And what happened with 8 years of obama's "Change"?

Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
White woman trails a black family around Berkeley telling them they don't belong | Daily Mail Online

Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Lots of white people just don't get it. They've been surrounded by lily white their entire lives and don't know how to react in the presence of black people. Like this woman:

https://twitter.com/ztsamudzi/status...0ed8-327007585

Old 07-22-2018, 09:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Lots of white people just don't get it. They've been surrounded by lily white their entire lives and don't know how to react in the presence of black people. Like this woman:

If someone posted something like this about black people you'd be the first one calling them a racist.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Do you know how many property crimes are committed in Chicago every year?

About 80,000

Just try to wrap your head around that number when you think about people calling the police for no reason.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:41 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Do you know how many property crimes are committed in Chicago every year?

About 80,000

Just try to wrap your head around that number when you think about people calling the police for no reason.
This is a really weird and strange comment What do property crimes in Chicago have to do with this thread topic???? Why not property crimes in DC, or Baltimore, or Atlanta?? All cities with a significantly larger percentage of blacks than Chicago? Maybe I'm just missing the context

Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

So you have two reports, what's your point?

Do you want all the news reports where White people were assaulted/beaten by Blacks for being in the wrong "hood"? Should we then infer from those instances that "most" Black people don't get it or are racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies