Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,621,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Buy the man's gotta see his dying relative, and he's pretty tall. Plus he cant afford first class.
Only those who can afford first class have a right to comfort, didn't you know that?

You are wasting your time, talking to this poster about compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:52 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,924,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Only those who can afford first class have a right to comfort, didn't you know that?

You are wasting your time, talking to this poster about compassion.
Really? So you are saying with the past and current regulations, the seats are fantastic? Really? You are saying that? Apparently, you never flew to anywhere....

Old 07-07-2018, 12:03 PM

1,991 posts, read 907,235 times
The FAA is actually pretty clever. The more seats on a plane per flight means there are less planes in the sky. The less planes in the sky reduces the urgency to add runways and modernize the ATC system. Win, win, for everyone but the passengers.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,173,360 times
I can see why the FAA doesn’t feel the need to regulate but it doesn’t change the fact that airlines are screwing passengers. They keep making the plans smaller. The last time I flew in a regional jet I was in an aisle seat and the flight attending bumped me each time. She wasn’t a big woman and neither am I. Between the cramped seats, and baggage fees they are making a killing.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 3,904,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I just had to highlight this, because I don't ever remember seeing a story put in these terms.

FAA To Passengers: Not Our Job To Regulate Seat Size, Legroom On Planes

This is the caption under the photo...

The FAA declined to regulate...

Let's just stop right there.

When have you EVER heard that a government agency declined to regulate?

That just struck me because it seemed odd to read that - but that's a good thing.

If people don't like the seating, their dollars will flow elsewhere. Regulations are not needed since the FAA has judged it as not being a safety issue. Common sense.
There can be local monopoly issues. As a consumer flying out of a major city you can take your dollars elsewhere (for example, I will pay a small premium to avoid United's window/center/aisle boarding procedure and basic economy BS and so in practice don't fly them because they are almost never significantly cheaper than the competition) but someone flying out of a smaller airport might be facing a local monopoly. Just because you and I have sufficient options to vote with our wallet doesn't mean every flyer can, and that means that robust regulation is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
first class.

also for fat people. - if I get sat beside someone protruding into my seat, I will raise hell. either I get upgraded or they are upgraded or I get paid off by the airlines and make news.
My experience has been that airlines fail to enforce their policies. If one were to follow your advice they would be treated as the problem and potentially bounced by the flight crew, not the people taking up part of your seat.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:21 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,144,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
There can be local monopoly issues. As a consumer flying out of a major city you can take your dollars elsewhere (for example, I will pay a small premium to avoid United's window/center/aisle boarding procedure and basic economy BS and so in practice don't fly them because they are almost never significantly cheaper than the competition) but someone flying out of a smaller airport might be facing a local monopoly. Just because you and I have sufficient options to vote with our wallet doesn't mean every flyer can, and that means that robust regulation is important.

My experience has been that airlines fail to enforce their policies. If one were to follow your advice they would be treated as the problem and potentially bounced by the flight crew, not the people taking up part of your seat.
Hit the nail on the head. Like with most cable/isp companies.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,907,549 times
The longest I will ever be on a plane will be 12 hours, so I can put up with about any BS for that long.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,523,120 times
Quote:
Theres always the alternative to drive. Its up to the person to pay for the luxuries of the airliners they want to fly. Pay first class if you want amenities. I see no issue and I dont care as long as people can sit and stay out of my seat space. If someone obese gets beside me, I will raise hell if their stomach encroaches into my space.
right...regional jets don't have first class seating which is the only means of air travel out of many small airports. It's not about "amenities", it's about having enough leg room that you don't get blood clots https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...lems/25772673/

Funny that some people consider freedom the right for airlines to cram as many people as they can onto a plane.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 PM

1,066 posts, read 634,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
right...regional jets don't have first class seating which is the only means of air travel out of many small airports. It's not about "amenities", it's about having enough leg room that you don't get blood clots https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...lems/25772673/

Funny that some people consider freedom the right for airlines to cram as many people as they can onto a plane.

I pay for my fare just like the rest of you, and yes I had a person who was easy 300lbs try to sit beside me, I did complain very politely and got bumped to first class. I will do it every single time or I will make a scene, whether I get kicked or not, I will be compensated and I will make news out of it. a fat person does not entitled them to 1 and 1/2 of my seat. Sorry, I dont care.

Planes are fine, they are money making machines, you either pay to fly or you get there another way. I personally cant fault them for shrining seats to accommodate more people. The world is overpopulating, end of day its needed. Doesnt help that now 1/3 of individuals are now obese or severely obese. Poor planes may not be able to stay in the sky one day.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:49 PM

42,813 posts, read 26,523,120 times
Quote:
I pay for my fare just like the rest of you, and yes I had a person who was easy 300lbs try to sit beside me, I did complain very politely and got bumped to first class. I will do it every single time or I will make a scene, whether I get kicked or not, I will be compensated and I will make news out of it. a fat person does not entitled them to 1 and 1/2 of my seat. Sorry, I dont care.

Planes are fine, they are money making machines, you either pay to fly or you get there another way. I personally cant fault them for shrining seats to accommodate more people. The world is overpopulating, end of day its needed. Doesnt help that now 1/3 of individuals are now obese or severely obese. Poor planes may not be able to stay in the sky one day.
You are not going to get 'bumped' to first class if first class is full, and as I already mentioned regional jets don't have first class seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies