Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Regarding Medicaid, though there's no pre-exisiting condition discrimination, it can be difficult to obtain in some states.

For example, in North Carolina low-income children can get on medical assistance but not low-income adults.

However, those moving to Minnesota are eligible for medical assistance.

I worked in social services and knew a number of people who moved to Minnesota to get medical treatment for breast cancer. It was simply not an option for them in their state of origin.

Many people moved there while waiting to be approved for disability. They were unable to work due to a medical condition of one sort or another, but could not get medical care in their home state while waiting to be approved for disability

SSDI recipients aren't eligible to receive Medicare benefits until two years after their date of entitlement. So what do they do in the meantime?

Either suffer, or move to a state with expanded Medicaid.
Why should blue states be burdened with taking care of red states. You voted for these officials so now you need to deal with your own consequences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:13 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I think in life threatening conditions blue states would waive the waiting period. And these people and their relatives will come to realize that we all need insurance. Sooner or later the Republicans will be out of office anyway.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:15 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Where is the better healthcare replacement plan that Trump promised to America?

This administration is cruel.

Ever since inauguration day executive orders and laws have been passed to weaken the ACA.
Promotion of the ACA has been cut, training for counselors has been cut, the enrollment period was cut, the individual mandate, which got people to join is gone, the future of cost sharing reduction payments is uncertain.
Medicare took a few years to work properly, the ACA was never given the chance. Wait til Medicaid expansion is rolled back.

Trump only cares about dismantling everything President Obama did and is a vindictive bully.
He doesn't care about the American people.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Forums like these will become sources of information on where to move to get insurance for pre-existing conditions.

Those in the 50+ age group are the ones more likely to end up with such conditions.

If they become unemployed, they are also more likely to be unable to obtain jobs with health insurance.
Here's why I resent that setup. Those people should be holding their own red states accountable. Instead, they flock to blue states, push the burden on us financially and then it's "Look, blue states have skyrocketing insurance costs!" when the truth is, "No, we're having to take care of all those people that fled red states because they couldn't get coverage!". It will not force red states to do anything, it will solve nothing and those people will still vote Republican while sucking up our health care coverage and increasing our costs. We should be able to restrict that and enforce a lengthy qualification period.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think in life threatening conditions blue states would waive the waiting period. And these people and their relatives will come to realize that we all need insurance. Sooner or later the Republicans will be out of office anyway.
Blue states might waive the waiting period, but it will drive the cost of health insurance sky high for everyone.

Whether the red states wake up to needing health insurance is anybody's guess. But I seriously doubt Republicans will be out of office any time soon.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-07-2018 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Blue states might waive the waiting period, but it will drive the cost of health insurance sky high for everyone.

Whether the red states wake up to needing health insurance is anybody's guess. But I seriously doubt they will be out of office any time soon.
Exactly. Some real tragedies are going to have to happen unfortunately before red states force Republicans to get it. It won't happen on its own.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here's why I resent that setup. Those people should be holding their own red states accountable. Instead, they flock to blue states, push the burden on us financially and then it's "Look, blue states have skyrocketing insurance costs!" when the truth is, "No, we're having to take care of all those people that fled red states because they couldn't get coverage!". It will not force red states to do anything, it will solve nothing and those people will still vote Republican while sucking up our health care coverage and increasing our costs. We should be able to restrict that and enforce a lengthy qualification period.
Bingo.

However, I doubt blue state will be able to enforce a lengthy qualification period.

How do you tell someone they have to wait a year for treatment for ovarian cancer?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

However, I doubt blue state will be able to enforce a lengthy qualification period.

How do you tell someone they have to wait a year for treatment for ovarian cancer?
I would think even red states couldn't do that. To me the problem will be the person fortunate enough to recover from ovarian cancer that will not be able to get coverage ever again after that due to the pre-existing condition.

If red states are sentencing their citizens to death, we should publicize that every single day, confront red state politicians with pictures of the person and ask them on camera why there is no help for this person.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would think even red states couldn't do that. To me the problem will be the person fortunate enough to recover from ovarian cancer that will not be able to get coverage ever again after that due to the pre-existing condition.

If red states are sentencing their citizens to death, we should publicize that every single day, confront red state politicians with pictures of the person and ask them on camera why there is no help for this person.
What do you mean red states couldn't do that? They do that right now.

If you don't have health insurance, you don't get treatment for ovarian cancer in the states that don't have expanded Medicaid. If you can meet the income guidelines, you are eligible to get health insurance via the federal exchange during the enrollment period.

Breast cancer, leukemia, ... you name it. If you don't have a job with health insurance coverage or can't afford a private policy, you are SOL.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:04 AM

Now, for a bit of humor from the front lines:

https://twitter.com/KeepCancrClassy/...00060452134914
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies