Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Catch and release is a good example of effectively open borders.
As is the constant calls for "Amnesty", and the entire false concept of "Dreamers". Legal CITIZENS dream too, and that should be our priority. Not illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That's a bold claim.

Please back it up with something more than opinion.

based on his reply to my post I think he meant .36 not 36

Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That's a dead link.

I did a google for that Harris poll and here's what it says:

Nothing about "36% of Democrats want open borders."
https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...stabs_Memo.pdf

page 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
based on his reply to my post I think he meant .36 not 36
When you use percentages in a sentence, with words, you don't show that mathematical equivalent. People generally know that 36% = 0.36.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I saw a decimal point before the 36 that old gringo might have not seen I have no idea whether the number is correct though on how many Democrats actually support open borders but if many democrats don't support it they they need to do a better job letting that be known because the democrats that do have taken over in getting that voice out suggesting that Democrats in general do support letting everybody in and they make it a race thing when it is not.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-con...stabs_Memo.pdf

page 68

When you use percentages in a sentence, with words, you don't show that mathematical equivalent. People generally know that 36% = 0.36.
maybe I 'm wrong but it was my under standing .36 means less than 1% but hey maybe I need to be re-schooled.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Just pragmatism. They're here and Africans aren't. I wouldn't vilify poor desperate Africans (who are arriving in Spain by the thousand) any more than I'd vilify poor hispanics. That doesn't mean I'd let them all in but the Africans I've known (mostly uni students) are fine people. Just like most of the hispanics. I'd feel sorry for them, talk to the ones that have legitimate refugee claims and send the rest packing.
Pretty much, yes.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM
TKO

Quote:
I saw a decimal point before the 36 that old gringo might have not seen I have no idea whether the number is correct though on how many Democrats actually support open borders but if many democrats don't support it they they need to do a better job letting that be known because the democrats that do have taken over in getting that voice out suggesting that Democrats in general do support letting everybody in and they make it a race thing when it is not.
I'm doing my best!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM
TKO

Quote:
maybe I 'm wrong but it was my under standing .36 means less than 1% but hey maybe I need to be re-schooled.
0.36% means less than one percent.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
.36, 36%; .36%; 360%..... Doesn't matter.
The ACLU has sued to Trump and his intention to treat border jumpers as criminals who will not be allowed amnesty.
So it doesn't matter what percentage is for amnesty. The courts will decide for all of us. Right now, it appears that Trump is wrong and that any illegal alien anywhere in the US can apply for asylum...
A federal statute in the U.S. Code says that "any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien's status, may apply for asylum."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aclu-su...sylum-changes/
The law gives, say, an athlete visiting from another countryright to apply for amnesty.

We need to guard the border. We need to detain those we catch. We need to hear their case and take appropriate action.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
.36, 36%; .36%; 360%..... Doesn't matter.
The ACLU has sued to Trump and his intention to treat border jumpers as criminals who will not be allowed amnesty.
So it doesn't matter what percentage is for amnesty. The courts will decide for all of us. Right now, it appears that Trump is wrong and that any illegal alien anywhere in the US can apply for asylum...
A federal statute in the U.S. Code says that "any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien's status, may apply for asylum."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aclu-su...sylum-changes/
The law gives, say, an athlete visiting from another countryright to apply for amnesty.

We need to guard the border. We need to detain those we catch. We need to hear their case and take appropriate action.
Just to be clear we were discussing Open Borders not amnesty.

Your conclusion is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies