Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

The fact is that few women are going to care one way or the other how the UN votes on breastfeeding or formula
This is about global marketing/funding
And who does that but global companies who try to get sponsorship for their products

The part that caught my eye was the nod to Russia and the US's morphing its point of view to conform with Russia's
That is just proof of Trump and his admin's love affair with Putin
Collusion--yes, I would say so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm very aware of Nestle and its interests in the third-world market. I'm also aware of the issues with promoting formula feeding over breastfeeding in that part of the world. My post was more about their specific justification for not just opposing the resolution but threatening Ecuador with sanctions over it. That seems like an step beyond to me. Could they not have just refused to sign it? Why the need to bully Ecuador into withdrawing the resolution?
That is the new normal. The USA has been using bullying tactics since Trump was elected. Pompeo was described as a gangster last weekend, and that is only the most recent incident of international bullying.

The USA threaten small countries with economic war because the USA wanted a majority. Thankfully Russia stepped in to force the USA to back down.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
And the fact that common sense alone was not enough to make the US realize how out of control its response was proves how non-sensical so much of US foreign policy is right now
And "right" has lot to do with it's focus and animus

The idea that RUSSIA made the US see reason is just proof of how aligned Trump is with Putin--
Collusion does exist and shows itself in variety of ways daily for those who are watching

Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
U.S. Objects to Breastfeeding Resolution With Scientific Consensus, until Russia Supports It

But yeah, forget facts and focus on distorting the story as a way to attack Trump.
This isn't about choice. Women know that they have a choice of feeding their babies powder food or breast milk. The message needs to be clear that breast feeding is the healthiest choice for the baby.

In developing countries where clean water is scarce, baby powder food is unhealthy. Furthermore, wasn't the messaging 50-60 years ago that baby powder food was healthier for babies? Isn't that one of the reasons that the messaging needs to be clear regarding what is best and what is an alternative in the event that the best option is unavailable?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
hahahahaha. I wasn't breastfed and my immune system was/is just fine. Stop believing everything you are told just because they have some letters after their name. Science is not always 100% correct, look how many times they flip flop on foods. One day this or that is bad for you, the next they are just fine. What does even more harm to your immune system is being a germophobe and sanitizing everything your kid touches and constantly washing their hands. Let them eat dirt once in a while.

I wasn't breastfed and I had severe allergies all my life. Got my first set of hives at 3 months old. It's settled science that even as little as two weeks of breastfeeding give a baby things you can't get from a formula. Science might not be 100% but Mother Nature sure knew what she was doing and she gave women breasts for a purpose that seems to have been forgotten in recent decades.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And I'll bet their immune systems suffered because of it.
Hardly. Youngest DD had FIVE perfect attendance awards (I still have the certificates, but not the accompanying coupons for a free lunch at Denny's). The only times she missed days during elementary school were due to a broken wrist from a fall off a jungle gym (actually a jump...she was dared), and a broken arm in a roller blade accident a year later. Oldest was notorious for "pretending" to be sick (she admitted this) to stay in bed and read all day (usually when I brought home the latest Stephen King).

To each his own. If you want to breastfeed, do it. If you don't, don't do it. We know all the advantages. But don't force and bully the issue.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:17 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
The World Health Organization cares so much about the health of babies that they support the killing of the unborn.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Hardly. Youngest DD had FIVE perfect attendance awards (I still have the certificates, but not the accompanying coupons for a free lunch at Denny's). The only times she missed days during elementary school were due to a broken wrist from a fall off a jungle gym (actually a jump...she was dared), and a broken arm in a roller blade accident a year later. Oldest was notorious for "pretending" to be sick (she admitted this) to stay in bed and read all day (usually when I brought home the latest Stephen King).

To each his own. If you want to breastfeed, do it. If you don't, don't do it. We know all the advantages. But don't force and bully the issue.
Well, settles the matter. All baby doctors and scientists are wrong about the benefits of beast feeding because your youngest got five perfect attendance awards.

Quote:
Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight off viruses and bacteria. Breastfeeding lowers your baby's risk of having asthma or allergies. Plus, babies who are breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months, without any formula, have fewer ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and bouts of diarrhea.
https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/nursing-basics#1

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
His fans here are making light of this, but the international resolution promoting breastfeeding that Trump has refused to have the USA support is truly outrageous and a gift to his big money friends who don't want their sales of baby formula cut on the world market.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/08/polit...ing/index.html
His tweet:

The failing NY Times Fake News story today about breast feeding must be called out. The U.S. strongly supports breast feeding but we don’t believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty.

There, what more do you want.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
His tweet:

The failing NY Times Fake News story today about breast feeding must be called out. The U.S. strongly supports breast feeding but we don’t believe women should be denied access to formula. Many women need this option because of malnutrition and poverty.

There, what more do you want.
Fake Trump is trying to white wash what actually happened in the World Health Organization and it's right in the link you provided.

Quote:
According to the Times, the US delegation threatened retribution on trade and military aid to Ecuador to get the nation to drop the resolution and at least a dozen countries also avoided the resolution out of fear of the US. Members of the delegation also suggested cutting US funding for the World Health Organization. Eventually, Russia introduced the resolution, and the US was unable to blunt the measure, although its delegation successfully struck language calling for the international health body to provide technical support for nations seeking to stop 'inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and young children,' and added the phrase "evidence based" to certain provisions, the Times reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies