Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 03:30 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
The court will be 6-3 as soon as Ginsberg is out. Boy, she is a poster child for term limits. What a shriveled old prune. How will they be able to tell when she actually is really dead?
The Grim Reaper checks his watch every time Ruth Ginsberg nods off.

Tick Tock Ruthie......

Old 07-08-2018, 03:34 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Conservative justices have been known for a bias towards business and religion. There are any number of ways of interpreting the constitution but conservatives seem to think only they truly understand the constitution.

The Constitution is not an obscure scroll written in ancient Sanskrit......it doesn't need to be"interpreted".

It only needs to be followed.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The Grim Reaper checks his watch every time Ruth Ginsberg nods off.

Tick Tock Ruthie......

Notorious RBG likes her wine also it seems.

I became disturbed by RBG back in 2012 when she was asked on Egyptian television how Egypt should model their constitution. She replied they should not look at the U.S. constitution (full of negative rights, restricting what govt can do), but instead look at the 1994 South African constitution (full of positive rights, demanding the govt enforce citizens to perform certian things such as build housing, give health care, etc....)

https://foreignpolicy.com/2012/02/06...ution-so-much/

I too have been watching the clock tick on her ever since. She cannot be trusted to assess our constitution as it is written.

Last edited by snebarekim; 07-08-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 03:44 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We've seen that the constitution can be interpreted any number of ways, otherwise there would not be a way for laws to be overturned. What conservatives want is a religious bias put into laws. That is actually fine by me. Wait until abortion is thrown to the states and red states make it illegal. That will be entertaining to watch, as those states have to deal with the increase in poverty stricken babies and mothers born in hospitals with no health coverage, high medical expenses, no prenatal care and the resulting never ending costs associated with all of that.
That is what a minority (perhaps 20%-33%) 0f conservatives seek; the rest of us, and the movement's fastest-growing libertarian segment, couldn't care less. Please stop resorting to outdated stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Conservative justices have been known for a bias towards business and religion.
A recognition that the natural movements of the workings of supply and demand toward a laissez-faire economy is not "pro-business bias"; and most of us don't have a problem with imposition of minimal standards and a well-regulated societal "safety net". It's mostly when the authority to impose these controls is concentrated at the Federal level that many of us take issue, because the obvious goal of every bureaucrat is to build a bigger, more powerful and more expensive bureaucracy.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-08-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
It sounds to me like originalism should be relied upon heavily, every day, in every case judged by the Supremes and the lower Federal courts alike. In that way, gradual deviations can be held in check, kept to a minimum, and corrected early, for minimal disruption.

All the more reason to have a solidly conservative majority (or unanimity) on the Courts, so we never descend into the flagrantly unconstitutional excesses of modern liberalism.

Terrific post. Spot On. Eager to hear the President's pick, as if even half as wonderful as Gorsuch, our nation will have a superb SC for the next several decades.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Hey, I don't care, I live in a blue state that legalized abortion outside of Roe V. Wade but Republicans have lined up multiple abortion cases that are winding their way through the courts. All it will take is one of those to go to the Supreme Court and that's what Republicans are counting on. Like I said, I don't care. But I don't want my taxes paying for the mess in some red state because they decided to force a lot of babies to be born into poverty and now have the resulting costs associated with that.

Red states themselves should have to pay for that just like Ohio should have to pay for the law they passed forcing Downs Syndrome babies to be born. That is going to force the birth of babies with heart, hearing, vision and other expensive issues that will need to be treated and will need to be watched over 24/7.
Many red states are poor and won't be able to pay for special need kids who some parents wanted to abort because they couldn't afford them either. So I guess their taxes will be raised to pay for them.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:41 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
The Constitution is a usurpation of power from the individual to the centralized federal State. It is a complete selling-out of natural law.

The Articles of Confederation was where they should have stopped.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:27 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
With a few exceptions (Mississippi is probably one. South Dakota my be another) why is it automatically assumed that "red" states are "poor"? , Nebraska, Wyoming and North Dakota all are home to high-paying extractive (coal and oil) and transportation industries, and the measure of Federal expenditures vs. tax revenues is often distorted by the heavy presence of federal land (for military facilities and the like).

The politicians and bureaucrats slant the figures for their own purposes, and the SJWs and Snowflakes swill it like so much cream soda.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-08-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
With a few exceptions (Mississippi is probably one. South Dakota my be another) why is it automatically assumed that "red" states are "poor"? Nebraska, Wyoming and North Dakota all are home to high-paying extractive (coal and oil) and transportation industries, and the measure of Federal expenditures vs. tax revenues is often distorted by the heavy presence of federal land (for military facilities and the like).

The politicians and bureaucrats slant the figures for their own purposes, and the SJWs and Snowflakes swill it like so much cream soda.
I’m from Mississippi, the poorest state. Alabama, Louisiana, West Virginia are also among the poorest states.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Getting back to the subject of this thread, which is the bias that the Supreme Court may have, with new appointments. Suppose Trump is able to stack the Supreme Court, so it would find in his favor on a case about whether presidents can pardon themselves? What would be the difference between having a president with that power and having a dictator? And suppose our democracy survived, despite that? Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth among republicans, if a democrat came into that office, with congressional majorities and used that power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies