Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Anybody here old enough to remember when the nomination of Roberts was going to be THE END of Roe vs. Wade?

Just funny watching people get whipped into a frenzy over this.

Will get even better during the political grandstanding phase of the confirmation hearings.

Send in your donations now suckers because he'll change everything (but really won't).
This is what I'm counting on.

As for Democrats objecting.

Please Republicans wouldn't even consider confirmation hearings when Obama was President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Seriously?

You don't think that it's not even worth nothing that someone racked up $200,000 in debt to buy baseball tickets?
Seriously, that's a pretty misleading depiction of the story. I myself was surprised by your claim so I went to the web, found the article and how it was divided up among many others and he was paid back and that the debt was thus temporary.

So basically, I read the article and no it's not really that noteworthy.

As an example using round numbers you can easily have 100k worth of season tickets split 10-ways so your share is 10k but then you only go to half the games and the others you unload on stub-hub etc. so your personal outlay is only 5k of the "big number".

I have several friends that are in family or friend groups where one person buys season tickets and then is reimbursed with their personal share being just a fraction of the total.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
I have several friends that are in family or friend groups where one person buys season tickets and then is reimbursed with their personal share being just a fraction of the total.
Yup. At work we always did it that way with our Rangers and Yankee season tickets.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is what I'm counting on.

As for Democrats objecting.

Please Republicans wouldn't even consider confirmation hearings when Obama was President.
Re-read my post if you think I was taking the republicans side in this I wasn't. They're getting fleeced too by fund-raising campaigns telling the far right that if they send in money then this WILL end Roe vs. Wade. (They sent the same mailers around when Roberts was in office.)

I live in KS so I got "this will end abortion isn't that wonderful" mass-mailer despite not being a registered anything. My wife (registered dem) got the "this will end abortion and it will be horrible" mass mailers.

Anyone here gotten hit up for money yet to fight the nomination?

As for what Obama nominee, they stalled because they could. It was of course a cheap political tactic which wouldn't have worked if Hillary and her supporters hadn't been so self assured of their "easy win".

I would prefer some sort of hard timeline for the confirmation process so these things can't be done.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Seriously, that's a pretty misleading depiction of the story. I myself was surprised by your claim so I went to the web, found the article and how it was divided up among many others and he was paid back and that the debt was thus temporary.

So basically, I read the article and no it's not really that noteworthy.

As an example using round numbers you can easily have 100k worth of season tickets split 10-ways so your share is 10k but then you only go to half the games and the others you unload on stub-hub etc. so your personal outlay is only 5k of the "big number".

Well, actually there was a range on the debt, so on average likely it was $100k or so. Still, thats a lot of money for baseball tickets.

His total income was $300k. He has a mortgage for $865k, sends his kids to private school. That, the taxes and mortgage plus property insurance adds up to about $100k in payments a year. Include a couple of car payments, utilities, etc and this guy is in debt up to his eyeballs.

So how did he pay his credit card debt and loans off in one year?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I thought I was reading the Onion or another satire piece. The left is becoming more and more unhinged by the hour!

https://twitter.com/NARAL/status/1016835475494064128

For those who can't see the embedded Twitter post, it reads as follows:
What's got you so bent out of shape - the fact that they called him a frat boy? I did a little research but was unable to verify whether Kavanough belonged to a frat at Yale. But the typical use of "frat boy" would be to describe someone from a wealthy family, who lives a sheltered life, enjoys perks associated with family connections and can't relate to the average student. No idea whether that is fairly applied to Mr Kavanough.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
When you (as POTUS does) attack someone after being attacked, I don't have a problem with it. That's the name of the game in politics. But Judge Kavanaugh is not a politician and is not out there attacking anyone. This unprovoked attack against him is completely unhinged and ridiculous.
Let's kill this apologist excuse for Trump's crude behavior once and for all.

Trump attacks when he has NOT been attacked. He attacks anyone and everyone who does something of which he does not approve or who he dislikes.

His idiotic nicknames for everyone he attacks are from the fifth grade. 'Frat Boy' is hardly as insulting as some of the rude things he has called others.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Hillary Clinton sounds like a sorority girl name , yet the left said she was/is the best person to run America .

Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

Trump attacks when he has NOT been attacked. He attacks anyone and everyone who does something of which he does not approve or who he dislikes.

His idiotic nicknames for everyone he attacks are from the fifth grade. 'Frat Boy' is hardly as insulting as some of the rude things he has called others.
Problem is the left thinks everything is rude

Latest is its “rude” to ask NATO allies like Germany to pay what they agreed to pay..

Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

It's like these cultists think we're living in the 18th century, where we don't have ample evidence of Trump routinely name calling and ridiculing and insulting everyone who doesn't walk in lockstep with him. YouTube is filled with such instances.

They cannot whitewash Trump's history, no matter how hard they try. The evidence to the contrary is all too easily accessible for everyone to know this attempt at revisionist history is a pack of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies