Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 AM

628 posts, read 663,704 times

Advertisements

For example, most of the Europoen countries have few players who are actually from that country. England is less than half white for example. US and Canada have also seen similar shifts. So, even if your pro open borders, why root for a country at all? Can you really feel pride for your homeland when you’ve imported players from foreign lands?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
England is less than half white for example. US and Canada have also seen similar shifts.
You mean you can't be English, or American unless you are white?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:58 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
I question your statistics about demographics. Also, please see post #2.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
For example, most of the Europoen countries have few players who are actually from that country. England is less than half white for example. US and Canada have also seen similar shifts. So, even if your pro open borders, why root for a country at all? Can you really feel pride for your homeland when you’ve imported players from foreign lands?
Micheal Johnson said something similar long time ago when he was hosting the Olympics (I think he was just a guess during the 2004 Athens, not an official host); it was in response to a black Swiss runner who won a medal. The black person recently obtained citizenship to Switzerland and was a recent immigrant all together. Johnson was sort of stating;

"how is he running around with the Swiss flag all proud, he just got there! There is nothing Swiss about him to be representing Switzerland so energetic like that".

Not his exact words, I am trying to recall what his less than one-minute rant was, but it was along those lines.

But anyway, I think there is a bit strangeness in it all you are alluding to. Whereas the competition is broken down by countries competing against each other, yet they recruit as if it a global free agency, thus sort of mitigating why they even have the competitions based on countries and specifically citizenship of said countries. If a country will just toss citizenship to whoever they can recruit, sort of removes that country-vs-country competition.

They either need to strengthen the requirements, like having to be a citizen for five, ten years, or immigrated for reasons other than sports. Or they need to reevaluate the whole country-vs-country thing as it sort of is still relevant, yet less relevant each time. Hell, last Winter Olympics there was the American who shopped around and got citizenship for some nothing island nation so she and her husband could qualify and compete in the cross country. That is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean you can't be English, or American unless you are white?
As a black guy said to me when I lived in London "I can be British, but never English". And that is not just for non-whites, even a white person as myself can be British, but never change my ethnicity to English.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Here's a better question.. Who cares?

You think the world was gonna stay the same forever? There's bigger things. I'm peeping SpaceX and NASA. Hoping we become an interplanetary species before I die. I can care less about how white/black/brown countries are. People represent where they're from and not what color they are.

If we wanna progress we gotta stop this petty type of thinking.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,740 times
Globalism, international trade, technology etc. have made the world a much smaller place.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:03 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Most countries have about a 5 year residency period before you can apply for citizenship.
Governments don't have a 5 year master plan to import players to be on their national team 2 World Cups down the road.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
As long as they are citizens, it wouldn't bother me. Now, I believe the Premier League teams can have up to 17 foreign players and that would bother me. So basically, England could have 17 Polish players (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Nope. The World Cup, etc. will remain tribal. England is not the UK--it is the England team.

And being close to both Brits from England and friends from Croatia watching the World Cup, it is obvious to me--borders have nothing to do with it.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:18 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Globalism, international trade, technology etc. have made the world a much smaller place.
Why stop at Globalism? I'm ready to embrace interstellarism..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies