Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Trumps bully tactics is working miracles

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...0Zn?li=BBnb7Kz

New figures show that Canadian military spending will be cut significantly, even as Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau prepares to face U.S. President Donald Trump’s demands for higher NATO military spending at the alliance's summit in Brussels.

According to the CBC, Canada will spend around 1.23 percent of its GDP on defense in 2018, down from 1.36 percent last year. This is far below the 2 percent target set for NATO members, which has been a particular bugbear for the American president.
I heard that particular odd word, "bugbear" used by other media as well. Where are they getting this?

Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
This me me me USA stuff is so short sighted.

The role of NATO is not only to protect Westernized European countries, it is in place to protect all borders of the Northern Atlantic countries from threat. For example, Canada is in Latvia protecting those borders from Russia invasion.

Let's suppose that the USA withdraws from NATO. Let's suppose that Russia decides that it wasn't enough to annex Crimea, but that it's better to one-by-one annex all Western European countries and the UK. Keep in mind that Crimea was annexed by Russia even with the USA participation in NATO, so think carefully about this.

Let's suppose that Russia takes control of Western Europe. That is an extremely powerful force for Canada and the USA to deal with. Given the USA attacks on Canada, even that alliance is weakened.

Trump's actions are foolish beyond belief, and it would be borderline idiotic to believe that the USA has nothing to lose if it does not act to prevent Russia from annexing more European countries. If you don't believe that it is possible, look at Crimea.

let them pay for their defense. Why should we carry most of the cost for their defense? didn't we bail them out enough during WW 2 and the Cold War with blood and revenue?

the European Union has a GDP of 17,308,862 .....we have a GDP of 19,390,600. You think they can put up more of their cost of defense.

Trump doesn't want to withdraw from NATO, he wants them for once to carry their load.

you say ignorant things that Russia can invade European countries when their GDP is only 1,527,469 #12 in the world behind South Korea, Canada, Italy, Brazil, India, and Japan.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
I was going to buy another Dodge Challenger until I remembered it is a Mexican Engine in a Canadian Car. Since both of those countries hate us because Trump wants to stop the trade imbalance I think I will buy something else. Boycotting Canada, Mexico and I am going to laugh when China implodes by trying to screw with us on a trade war.
We can and should pull out our manufacturing equipment out of mothballs and bring manufacturing back to America.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Trump was peacocking when he iembraced North Korea and badmouthing Canada throughout the visit. Today he is badmouthing NATO and in a couple of days he will embrace Russia. Is he thinking that he only wants to be friends with other big countries? Does he really think he has a leg to stand on as third largest heavily populated country talking to the largest country in the world?

Russia, like North Korea, will tell Trump exactly what he wants to hear, they'll make demands in return, nothing will change except two dangerous countries see Trump's weakness.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 4,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am not a party purist - no one should be.

I have stated for years on here that the US should remove/reduce our foreign bases in the EU to save money.

The EU has 10 times the economy and 4 times the population of Russia. They don't need billions of our dollars to protect them.
I don't know enough to say whether you are correct, but this has the ring of reasonability to it. I've wondered about this myself.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM

11 posts, read 4,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I was going to buy another Dodge Challenger until I remembered it is a Mexican Engine in a Canadian Car. Since both of those countries hate us because Trump wants to stop the trade imbalance I think I will buy something else. Boycotting Canada, Mexico and I am going to laugh when China implodes by trying to screw with us on a trade war.
We can and should pull out our manufacturing equipment out of mothballs and bring manufacturing back to America.
Just wanted to say that I've spoken with some Canadians (probably Trump supporters) who think Trump is doing the right thing. Like you down there, we up here, are not monolithic in our thinking. I've recently even wondered if we might need a friendly American invasion to save us from ourselves.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
let them pay for their defense. Why should we carry most of the cost for their defense? didn't we bail them out enough during WW 2 and the Cold War with blood and revenue?

the European Union has a GDP of 17,308,862 .....we have a GDP of 19,390,600. You think they can put up more of their cost of defense.

Trump doesn't want to withdraw from NATO, he wants them for once to carry their load.

you say ignorant things that Russia can invade European countries when their GDP is only 1,527,469 #12 in the world behind South Korea, Canada, Italy, Brazil, India, and Japan.
Western Europeans can and do pay for their defense. All NATO countries are on track to meet the 2% GDP defense commitment guideline by 2024. Thing is, each European country, or EU collective, cannot defend against Russia regardless of how much they spend on defense.

German scientists contacted the USA to warn about the atomic bomb in 1943-ish and it was mainly Europeans who designed and built the bomb in the USA. Europe needed at least one other powerful country to have the atomic bomb, they chose the USA. The USA saw the benefit of preventing Russia from taking control of all Northern Atlantic countries.

Not sure what is going on today, but the big picture is definitely missing from White House propaganda. Anyone who argues money, when that was never the reason for NATO, cannot see the consequence of making decisions based solely on money.

It must have been so bizarre for everyone else at the table for a photo op, thinking about terrorism and migration, and Trump belligerently attacks Germany for building a pipeline with Russia. Does no one brief the man?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
All NATO countries are on track to meet the 2% GDP defense commitment guideline by 2024.
No. Canada is NOT on track.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No. Canada is NOT on track.
Well then, just close any U.S. military bases in Canada... oh wait, there are none.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Time to raise tariffs further on Canada.

Hell, why quit there ? Let's bomb the **** out of them !

When we start attacking one of our closest and oldest friends, that shows you the mentality of Trump and his back up singers. The idiot is poisoning our reputation all over the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies