Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You are CLUELESS to try to rationalize the ultimate, predictable outcome of his behavior!!!

He was GRABBING at the gun when he was running away. In fact he grabbed at it multiple times during the encounter. EVERYONE has seen several previous examples that, that will get you killed!!!

I don't know if the cops followed proper protocol for stopping him, and if they didn't, I'm all for them being punished to the fullest extent. But how many of these incidents do we need to see for people to understand, that it is better to swallow your pride for a few minutes and live, than to do something that is KNOWN to get you shot??? The mentality just doesn't make sense.

It is terrible that he was shot and killed. But, right or wrong, if he had just completely stopped and put his hands up (not reaching, not running), he would almost certainly still be alive. Then, he could have gotten a lawyer to handle whether the stop was legal.

It's not rocket science. There is a proper way to behave around cops. This pride and these arguments to explain otherwise (and try to prove some point) are futile.

People should not put themselves in a precarious situation like that. Comply, and THEN AFTERWARDS deal with the cops' behavior. I think YOU know this!!!
If the police had minded their own business like they were supposed to, it wouldn't have happened either and that is where it starts.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
Wait a minute... are police to mind their own business or stop crime and criminals??? We just had a protest on the expressway 10 days ago that MORE should be done to stop crime in these neighborhoods, this is whats done and you are griping about it?

I got a speeding ticket about a year ago, maybe I should have just outran the cop and then complain that he didnt mind his own business???
Walking down the street minding one's own business is not a crime........unless you are black.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You are CLUELESS to try to rationalize the ultimate, predictable outcome of his behavior!!!

He was GRABBING at the gun when he was running away. In fact he grabbed at it multiple times during the encounter. EVERYONE has seen several previous examples that, that will get you killed!!!

I don't know if the cops followed proper protocol for stopping him, and if they didn't, I'm all for them being punished to the fullest extent. But how many of these incidents do we need to see for people to understand, that it is better to swallow your pride for a few minutes and live, than to do something that is KNOWN to get you shot??? The mentality just doesn't make sense.

It is terrible that he was shot and killed. But, right or wrong, if he had just completely stopped and put his hands up (not reaching, not running), he would almost certainly still be alive. Then, he could have gotten a lawyer to handle whether the stop was legal.

It's not rocket science. There is a proper way to behave around cops. This pride and these arguments to explain otherwise (and try to prove some point) are futile.

People should not put themselves in a precarious situation like that. Comply, and THEN AFTERWARDS deal with the cops' behavior. I think YOU know this!!!

What are we disagreeing on?

But let me explain something else to you. I've had the police assault me and rip me out of my car as I called my attorney. They assaulted me. Had I reacted out of self defense, or fear, what if they shot me? They instigated the situation and escalated it. Fortunately for me the other officers disobeyed orders and didn't taze or beat me up. And I didn't fight back (although I did resist my face being thrown into the concrete). In a later situation, I finally got to tell the court what happened and they were appalled.

I've also had an officer, black officer, falsify a DUI charge on me. I complied completely, blew, etc (he falsified the ticket). Took 11 months of my life to beat the charge. I'm sure he simply got a slap on the wrist. Had never been in trouble before and dealt with depression, anxiety. I wasn't compensated for my time or money. When it was time to press charges I was told "not to" and some of my docs were taken away.

I've been a victim of police corruption. I know how police can escalate situations. Lie. Etc. Etc. One person is a trained professional getting PAID, by us, to enforce us. The other is a regular citizen just going about their lives.

The onus to do everything by the book is on the police, not the citizen. The female officer broke protocol. Since a man was killed, she should be dealt with accordingly. That's my argument.

We're not slaves or dogs to be harrassed and talked down to and controlled by anyone. Especially people we're paying. This country has it backwards.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute... are police to mind their own business or stop crime and criminals??? We just had a protest on the expressway 10 days ago that MORE should be done to stop crime in these neighborhoods, this is whats done and you are griping about it?

I got a speeding ticket about a year ago, maybe I should have just outran the cop and then complain that he didnt mind his own business???
How have you jumped all the way to this man was a "criminal?" As in, dangerous person. Or harming the community.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Was he or was he not carrying a gun illegally???
Did the officer grab the man BEFORE she knew??

The guy had a FOID card. Which means the gun was most likely registered to him. He lives in Chicago. He was a community guy who was a father and well liked in the community, according to the community.

According to some on here he was John Wayne about to take down the entire group of officers.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
So maybe the solution here is to pull all police presence out of these areas??? You guys can have the old wild west type thing going on, no pesky police bothering you... rest of us could stop wasting our tax dollars on it since it is not wanted, seems like a win/win situation..
OMG.

Listen. The police policies and justice system in this country has failed. Some of these communities have been failed. I won't even go into all of the reasons why, some could possibly be out of the average citizen's control.

Maybe its time for policy changes instead of locking everyone up seeing that we have the HIGHEST INCARCERATION RATES IN THE WORLD, but still can't get a handle on crime. Kinda like we started this whole Drug War and now there's more drugs available than when it started. MAYBE THE PROBLEM IS US NOT UNDERSTANDING HUMAN NATURE. Or refusing to adapt.

Why aren't you going at the CPD for selling drugs. Incriminating innocent people (who then could become criminals from lack of employment options). Harrassing people to the point they don't trust or like the police. Not protecting witnesses. Could go on and on.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
They said they suspected a gun based on an object they saw thru his shirt.. the police were spot on
Answer the question I asked you.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The residents themselves asked for a police presence in that area, this happens, and now the predictable riots and protests. Wouldn't matter if the shooting was justified or not, they'd still protest.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/us/ch...ing/index.html
totally agree....

the media tried to make Putin a bad person, saying his handling of Russian's protests is inhumane....however, all they did was show the riot police, standing there, and guess what, the protesters, were not destroying properties, or burning items, or jumping up and down on public police cars...Big Big difference...and the way WE should handle these situations.

Our country is so corroded with defiance, against laws, rules and regulation....

Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I was driving along the highway minding my own business... I shouldn't have been stopped???
For doing that? No.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
They said they suspected a gun based on an object they saw thru his shirt.. the police were spot on
They never said that. At least not originally.

They spotted a man "who they thought might be armed" and approached him, Chicago Police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller told reporters.

They never explained why they thought he was armed and being armed is not illegal.

Last edited by pknopp; 07-17-2018 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: They spotted a man "who they thought might be armed" and approached him, Chicago Police Chief of Patrol Fred Waller told repo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies