Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:10 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Easy to do. Economy rolling, tax cuts a big seller, plus casual voters stay home in off years.

The voting pop in November will be a far higher % 50 plus, less diverse, than in POTUS years.
Hmmmm... I think we'll see more voters come out who typically don't vote in mid-term elections due to Trump, especially younger voters, GOP will need to turn out older voters but I could be wrong. I was wrong in 2016 so we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:14 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Democrats used to care about blue collar workers.

Now they are the party of gays,lesbians,trannys, ILLEGALS .

They support thugs from a hate group ( Black Lives Matter) who block freeways that blue collar workers drive on, block light rail lines to prevent blue collar workers from attending a ball game.

Liberal Democrats applaud this and say the protesters' rights trump your rights.
So gays, lesbians and trannies, as you put it, can’t be blue collar workers?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Hmmmm... I think we'll see more voters come out who typically don't vote in mid-term elections due to Trump, especially younger voters, GOP will need to turn out older voters but I could be wrong. I was wrong in 2016 so we'll see.
I wasn't wrong in 2016, btw.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Easy to do. Economy rolling, tax cuts a big seller, plus casual voters stay home in off years.

The voting pop in November will be a far higher % 50 plus, less diverse, than in POTUS years.
Obama was elected into office during a recession. The economy was steadily growing under him. So Trump inherited a growing economy and fortunately it's still growing. And our kids and grand kids will have to pay for these tax cuts which added to our deficit. What happened to the deficit hawks in congress.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
*This is neither an endorsement nor a defense of President Tinyhands*

The Democratic Party walked away from White Working Class voters. They sided with the billionaires instead via NAFTA, and stood buy while the Republicans crushed the unions. Now Dems have embraced deliberately obtuse identity politics- telling working class whites that they're privileged... while simultaneously mocking them and outsourcing their jobs to China and illegal immigrants.

And Dems wonder why my trump-voting kin won't support them??

I'll never vote for Trump... and really any Republican is iffy to me at this point. But tens of millions of my fellow rednecks see things differently. And Democrats have learned *nothing* from the election of Trump.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Lol, don’t be fooled. The GOP looks down on them too, Democrats have just gotten lazy but Republicans will use a few double negatives and the word “liberal elite” to make people in rural parts of the country feel like they’re on their side. People here (DC) and NYC, the two epicenters of politics, live in a bubble. Even I did and it took Clinton losing in ‘16 for me to realize that. On both sides, we have no clue what people in rural parts are going through - notice how Trump was the only person to mention trade, etc during the primaries, Republicans were just as out of touch too.

The sad part is the GOP doesn’t care, they have no interest in “draining the swamp” because what they don’t tell their voters, who obviously don’t do their own research for themselves is they’re getting rich off of the swamp too, look at all the people Trump has fired including Pruitt most recently. Rural America has been abandoned by both parties for the upper-middle class and more educated areas and the sad part is the GOP has somehow convinced them that they care about their issues when they don’t, they including Trump are taking advantage of them, the tax bill which was nothing more than handout to the wealthy and large corporations is exhibit A.
I'm a Democrat, buddy. I could and have gone on and on about the GOP. My expectations for the GOP is so low, it's hardly worth the effort. What's so disappointing is seeing the Democratic Party become a party of effete, snobby "classists" instead of champions of the working class.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
*This is neither an endorsement nor a defense of President Tinyhands*

The Democratic Party walked away from White Working Class voters. They sided with the billionaires instead via NAFTA, and stood buy while the Republicans crushed the unions. Now Dems have embraced deliberately obtuse identity politics- telling working class whites that they're privileged... while simultaneously mocking them and outsourcing their jobs to China and illegal immigrants.

And Dems wonder why my trump-voting kin won't support them??

I'll never vote for Trump... and really any Republican is iffy to me at this point. But tens of millions of my fellow rednecks see things differently. And Democrats have learned *nothing* from the election of Trump.
It's incredible, really, and a measure of their arrogance. They honestly think they can insult working class people, a la Mitt and "47% are takers," and then expect these people they insult to vote for them, 'cuz, you know, the minimum wage or "jobs programs" or whatever.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So gays, lesbians and trannies, as you put it, can’t be blue collar workers?
Of course they can, though my understanding is that gays, as a group, have a higher average income.

No, the point is that the party makes "LGBT" a central issue and tout it all the time, as if it's a civil rights issue akin to the actual civil rights struggle of black-Americans in the 20th century. By harping on it all the time, they needlessly turn off big swaths of voters outside our biggest cities.

My impression is that most gays aren't even down with gay activists and some of their rhetoric that gets parroted by the Democratic Party.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:44 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
GOP controls 30 governors offices, has all 3 chamber control in 5 times as many states as Dems, has the Senate and will add to it in 2018, POTUS, and will likely retain the House once again.

Dems have little work to do, as the party in the wilderness seldom does.
Quote:
I think they'll hold the senate unfortunately. The House looks a bit riskier but we'll see. But even as the article lays out, they're being too reliant on small towns that are not growing, they're going to have to figure out a way to pick up seats and hold their seats in more heavily populated and more educated districts which seems to be a challenge for them with Trump at the head of the party.

By 2020, a lot more states are going to have their republican gerrymandering rolled back, as was done this year, in Pennsylvania. Without that, they wouldn't hold a majority in the House, today.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Where their rights will be whittled away, they will have no collective bargaining to assure them a living wage and benefits, and their overlords can fire them at will for no reason whatsoever.

Yep, a real worker's paradise.

Well, you deserve the government you vote for, so it's hard to feel sorry for them when they get exactly what they ask for.
Yep, no right to the fruits of other people’s labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies