Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Here are the key recommendations (excluding Wall):

1. Eliminate the lottery
2. Merit-based rather than chain/family migration
3. Eliminate catch & release
4. Toughen border security.

Democrats, please expound on the following:

1. Why do you think randomly letting in people from less represented countries is better than merit based immigration?

2. Do you disagree with the idea of a national border and that requirements to be in the country should be enforced?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...46073060634626
I'd like to point out that Mexico is not and was never going to pay for a "wall". In terms of your points, there are 2 key issues. The "illegal immigration" almost always refers to brown people and not the tons of illegal Europeans and Canadians in the USA. That alone is a nonstarter for talking about immigration.

However, to answer your questions:
1) Don't care about the lottery and if it's eliminated. In fact, if the total # of immigration spots increases, stays the same, cool, eliminate it.
2) Immigration is largely merit based as is. If not, you would not see all of the H1B visa IT workers from India here. The family immigration is for people that want a sibling or parent to move here and it makes sense since there is a family support system in place
3) Agree. How do you do this?
4) Obama deported more illegals than any other POTUS ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:10 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I agree fully with the "rationality" that Trump is going to make health care MUCH better and MUCH cheaper for all of us...

It's when one realizes that 90% of what comes out of his trap is BS that problems begin.

Trumps "border" issue is nothing but a populist rant. We always have strengthened the border and worked (various ways) on our immigration policies. Reagan signed Amnesty - for millions! Yet he is the hero of many of the Trump followers.

The simplistic answer to the question is this - Congress has been trying to do immigration reform for years - maybe decades at this point. It was blocked - usually by the "right" side of the isle, although center-rights like McCain were for it. But the far-right that controls the red side of the isle would do NOTHING....

And so, Congress didn't do its job leaving it for the Con BSer to use it as another deception.

Anyone who studies the issue will not that money is constantly spent on the border and on border(s) and on immigration policies - even more since 9/11...

But talk is always easier. Since Mexico is paying, why are we even having this conversation? Send them a request for the wire transfer and build it.....

Now, since that will not happen Trump is as FOS as he is with Health Care (fewer covered and much higher costs now and in the future)....

My question to the question is - why does anyone believe a serial liar who has been promising everyone in his life "the moon" for his entire career and then leaving them penniless and bankrupt? That's the REAL question for the ages - not whether some monkey can repeat talking points.

People talk about Trump and "win"...
They don't talk about "Mexico will pay for it fully" - LOSE!

Per the bolded --- You obviously consider "immigration reform" to mean amnesty for millions of illegal aliens. I'm so glad that there were those in congress on both sides of the aisle blocked that! So, yes, congress indeed did its job by blocking amnesty

I never voted for Reagan and was against his amnesty. When he did the amnesty, the dems promised him the following: 1) This would be the one and only amnesty ever (we've had several stealth amnesties since then); 2) The border would be secured (every day, illegals walk across the border unchallenged); 3) Illegal aliens would not be allowed to work (we currently have 8 million no-match SSNs in the workforce).

Before he was stricken with Alzheimer's, Reagan said he regretted the 1986 amnesty as the dems reneged on all their promises. Reagan's regret was too little, too late.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Most people in the world will stay in there countries because they are to poor to travel. The ones that make it hustle and start doing well should stay.
And how many of them are you willing to move into your home and financially support?

You just don't get it. We have millions of poor American citizens, many of them homeless, that need help. Charity starts at home. That means we take care of our own first and foremost. If, after doing that, we still have resources left, then help legal immigrants.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- You obviously consider "immigration reform" to mean amnesty for millions of illegal aliens. I'm so glad that there were those in congress on both sides of the aisle blocked that! So, yes, congress indeed did its job by blocking amnesty

I never voted for Reagan and was against his amnesty. When he did the amnesty, the dems promised him the following: 1) This would be the one and only amnesty ever (we've had several stealth amnesties since then); 2) The border would be secured (every day, illegals walk across the border unchallenged); 3) Illegal aliens would not be allowed to work (we currently have 8 million no-match SSNs in the workforce).

Before he was stricken with Alzheimer's, Reagan said he regretted the 1986 amnesty as the dems reneged on all their promises. Reagan's regret was too little, too late.
Myth never happened.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...he/1089297001/

Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
[quote=ktoni;52672602]Reading your lying sources won't make your claims true either. If we actually had an American worker shortage for full time jobs at a fair wage or our American youth for part time jobs then why haven't we created visas for those jobs for LEGAL, foreign workers?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 PM

[quote=chiociolliscalves;52672707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post

Wait, there's a plethora of unfilled jobs in our impoverished cities for unskilled workers? Where is that happening?

BTW, what effect does bringing in hundreds of thousands of unskilled workers have on wages for unskilled workers already here?

BTW, from where are we going to get all of the water for the 1 billion people who will be here by the end of the century?

You're quoting the wrong person. I never made those statements. In fact I agree with you.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I don't oppose anything other than wasting billions on a wall. Hire more border patrol, enforce the laws we have. Mandate RealID and other validation processes. Set a merit based system, but be realistic about the numbers, and realize that there is still a need for refugee and humanitarian admissions. All good things.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Where on Earth did you come up with that number?

If we did things like you want, which is to allow any poor person in the world entry into the US, it won't be long before we have 1 billion people.

I don't know about you but I want better than that for my descendants.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
I have a similar question for Trump's cult members. How can you support kidnapping young children away from their mothers and locking them up in cages and still call yourself human?
"Cult members"? If voting for someone makes them "a cult member", then you are an Obama/Hillary cult member.

No one kidnapped kids from their mothers. No one locked up kids in cages. Get a grip.

Illegals were warned before coming here what would happen to those who didn't present themselves at a border checkpoint. It was the ones who were caught sneaking in that got separated from the kids. And do you even know why that is? It's because minors have been trafficked across the border. There are parents who turn their kids over to coyotes to sneak them into this country. Some of these kids get killed or raped along the way. What decent parent turns their child over to a total stranger to take them hundreds of miles away?

Do you support letting kids stay with traffickers? If so, how can you "still call yourself human"?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Notice how these anti-wall people constantly bring up Trump said Mexico would pay for it? How many times do I have to post the link showing what Trump's plan is before they keep repeating that argument? You know damned well that they just don't want the wall and not because it's too expensive or won't work but because it's Trump pushing congress to fulfill their promise of 20066. Funny that Obama, Hillary, Biden etc. helped pass that legislations but I don't recall any outrage by these lefties about it back then or demanding that Mexico pay for it. The costs were irrelevant to them back then. Hypocrites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies