Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What caused the wealth gap
History 17 53.13%
Current day reasons 15 46.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,443,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - money in a savings account is not the same thing as net worth (i.e. wealth). Wealth is your assets (including cash/savings) minus your debts/liabilities.

He did admit he was trolling.

To everyone, I'm kind of sitting back and reading these great comments. For those who voted "current day reasons", elaborate some more on what those reasons might be. I mentioned in that category, it being something from within the groups. What are white people doing that black people aren't, or vice versa. Let me know your thoughts.

It's no secret what I believe. I want to know what you truly think on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hah, almost no one would have heard of Steve Martins record - my YT vids get more views than that one - posted by Steve Himself......

So my point was that his humor seems quite white to me. Never been to a SM "concert" but he used to fill stadiums and my guess is that brothers and sisters weren't standing in line for tickets. I wasn't either...

By my comment I sorta meant he's not too funny...so I can't imagine that he's big in the AA sector....but maybe he's crossover!

Maybe his " I don't smoke marijuana" routine gave him a wide audience....???
If you think his record is that obscure, my guess is the reason you were not standing in line is because you were still in diapers.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:09 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
What on earth would make you think 13% of America’s population (black Americans) would ever have more wealth than 77% of America’s population? (White Americans)

Are you intentionally being dense?

In what country on earth does the black minority population of a white developed country have more wealth than the large white majority population. Just name one.

Apparently you are....

Old 08-01-2018, 02:12 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, this is just chock-full of ugly stereotypes. The thing that really stands out is your little swipe at "ghetto kids" who allegedly care nothing about education.

Let me tell you something. Our entire culture, "ghetto" and otherwise, has never been so disrespectful of learning. Schools, particularly universities, are called "indoctrination centers," the free press is called an enemy of the state, and conservatives who offer thoughtful criticism of the current administration are deemed "RINOs." It's wonderful to learn a marketable skill, but never has there been such contempt for learning simply to gain knowledge. The liberal arts used to be respected and appreciated as the foundation of anyone's education, but now they are mocked as useless.

Do you really think that "ghetto kids," or any other pretty code word you can come up with for young blacks, are the only ones in this country who worship celebrities? Do you own a TV? The whole damn country is obsessed with fame, usually for little more than its own sake.

We are all on a rocket sled toward stupidity. Enjoy the ride.
Teachers Weigh in on Pay, Safety, School Choice, and Evaluations in New Survey - Teacher Beat - Education Week

Quote:
School Safety a Concern

Just over 30 percent of teachers said they "often" or "sometimes" fear for their own physical safety while at school. They are most concerned about gun violence or school shootings. (There have been 14 school shootings with injuries or deaths this year, according to Education Week's tracking.)

Twenty-nine percent of teachers favor the proposal by President Donald Trump and other politicans to train teachers to carry guns in schools to protect students from armed intruders.

Fifteen percent of respondents said they are concerned about violence against teachers. Federal data show that 5.8 percent of the nation's teachers were physically attacked by a student, and almost 10 percent were threatened with injury in the 2015-16 school year.
https://www.ravemobilesafety.com/blo...ational-crisis

Quote:
3,000 K-12 teachers from 48 states responded to an anonymous web-based survey to detail their victimization experiences during the current or past year.

80% of teachers reported at least one victimization experience in the current or past year, and of those who experienced an offense, 94% reported being victimized by students
Nearly half of victimized teachers reported that they had experienced offenses by two or more different types of perpetrators (e.g. students and parents)
72.5% of teachers reported having experienced at least harassment offense (e.g. obscene gestures, verbal threats and intimidation, and obscene remarks)
50% of teachers experienced property offenses (e.g. theft or damage to property)
44% of teachers reported being physically attacked
The nationwide costs of teacher victimization to teachers, parents, and taxpayers exceed $2 billion annually

Old 08-01-2018, 02:16 PM
miu

I also have worked with many former school teachers, and of all ages. They all started out being idealistic and many of them did work in the Boston city school district. And they left disillusioned, and not being sympathetic for their former urban students or their parents.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force them to drink.

And if anyone has a real desire to learn, there are many public libraries with free access to books and the internet for a free education 24/7.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why do white jewish minorities have more wealth than white non jewish majorities in first world countries? - will the sociology book provide the same answer?
Because the #1 investment above all else is Education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This thread is not about white Jews.
They are white. Jews as a race are white (in the US). Religion is what is not part of this thread.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok fine:

4) The fact that education is funded at the local and state level, ensuring that poor areas stay poor.
So what? The amount of whites and the amount of black that graduate HS is nearly the same. Since blacks don't consider education post HS to be a priority, then the amount of blacks gaining degrees post HS decreases at each degree level.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/p20-578.pdf

Even though blacks get the highest amount of financial aid to be able to so.

https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015/indicator6_25.asp

https://www.jbhe.com/2011/10/a-racia...financial-aid/

If they don't invest their time in excelling in education and getting good grades, not seeing the value of the nearly free education and carrying the least debt. Then they're in for a shocker when they can't get jobs in their fields.

fwiw my parents were off the boat below minimally educated immigrants who were so poor that a three bedroom apartment was a three family apartment. And I'm White and Jewish.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:55 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
How about when the US was established? Were there any black people here at that time? Of course I tell you the truth, the majority of black people who descended from slaves, were here well before most white people, who descend from immigrants coming after the war. Most white people came into the country around the late 1800s-early 1900s. Yet here we are, and the median net worth of white families is far higher. Why is that?
I just told you the whole timeline. Now you want to isolate things to just the period after 1776? Or is it 1784? As if the time before had nothing to do with it either? Do you want to try and set any other artificial boundaries to your sample to try and make things come out the way you want?

When you get right down to it, most of the black people currently in this country are not necessarily descended from slaves. And many of the Asians here that came to work on the railroads were treated as badly as slaves if not worse, and yet they seem to be doing better these days as an ethnic group than the more lenthily entrenched African-Americans. Why is that?

Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
So I want people's honest opinion with this poll I'm putting up. Is today's current wealth gap, the cause of American history? Or is it a current day phenomena dealing with the people themselves? Let me know in the poll and your comments.
There is an historical component but it's become more of a product of lower incomes from lower education and spending far too much for their incomes thereby having much less savings to invest. Also, when neighborhoods get large black population, the values tend to reduce so as blacks buy into the neighborhood, they are often seeing a negative return on their house investment.

Of course, wise blacks will get educated to get a better salary, save more to invest and buy in white or Asian neighborhoods if wealth is their goal.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:37 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Because the #1 investment above all else is Education.

They are white. Jews as a race are white (in the US). Religion is what is not part of this thread.
But how did the Jewish people bounce back to success after the Holocaust? And the Jewish people were also the slaves in Ancient Egypt who built the pyramids. Yet, the black people still can't get over their "slave times" in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies