Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:44 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I'm not sure why getting evidence from a foreign country against an American citizen is illegal. In fact, I'm sure the Federal government does this all the time to build cases against American citizens whose criminal footprints span countries. I'm sure the Feds worked closely with several governments to get info on Manafort's overseas bank accounts and activities.
It is, against the law for U.S. campaigns to receive donations or items of value from foreigners, and that June 2016 meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and Natalia Veselnitskaya was to obtain dirt and alleged hacking info.
And FYI, coordinating with the Russians, could result in criminal charges as it may have been a conspiracy to break the law, including through cyberhacking or interfering with the election.

Do not try to sell the idea that law enforcement agencies who are trying to enforce US laws by legal means is in any stretch of the imagination the same as conspiring to attack the US election system etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:47 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
It is, against the law for U.S. campaigns to receive donations or items of value from foreigners,
Please point me to the relevant law. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of foreign money that goes into US elections.

Quote:
and that June 2016 meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and Natalia Veselnitskaya was to obtain dirt and alleged hacking info.
It was to obtain information. How that information was obtained is not necessarily relevant unless the Trump administration was taking part in it.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:50 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
His brand will probably be torn from the walls like sadaam being toppled in the streets. Didnt they get the son first?
Yep, I often refer to Trump's sons as Uday and Qusay due to their sadistic streak but they also have a good dose of Beavis and Butt-Head in their DNA.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
..... a fake paper full of lies .....

what exactly in the steele dossier has been shown to be false?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, I don't think Trump's story about this meeting has changed in any way. As I remember this story being reported, Don Jr admitted that the original reason he took this meeting was he was told he would be receiving some sort of damning information about Hillary Clinton. However, the claim is when he actually took the meeting, the woman offered no such information, and instead was discussing this whole adoption thing. And Trump has maintained throughout that he did not know about the meeting beforehand. So while I won't say the president has never told a lie, in this instance he doesn't appear to be lying or changing his story. It's pretty much the same story that was told way back when this was news. The only thing new is him saying it's "totally legal" which of course it is.

You people know about the tactics used by the Clinton campaign against Trump, don't you? Do you honestly believe the Clinton campaign acted honorably? Do you honestly not understand that both sides engaged in less than honorable, albeit legal tactics to try to win that election? For me, one of the biggest problems is Democrats inability to admit that their side engaged in the same dirty tactics that the Republicans did to try to win that election. I'm sorry that the end result left your candidate on the losing end, but that doesn't change the fact that both parties are one and same when it comes to what they are willing to do to try and win an election. And pretending the Democrats are somehow the more "honorable" or "honest" party is absolutely disingenuous.
It was about adoption...remember?
Quote:
"It was a short introductory meeting. I asked Jared and Paul to stop by. We primarily discussed a program about the adoption of Russian children that was active and popular with American families years ago and was since ended by the Russian government, but it was not a campaign issue at the time and there was no follow up. I was asked to attend the meeting by an acquaintance, but was not told the name of the person I would be meeting with beforehand."
https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...meeting-2017-8

Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Please point me to the relevant law. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of foreign money that goes into US elections.

It was to obtain information. How that information was obtained is not necessarily relevant unless the Trump administration was taking part in it.

IT IS :52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

Prohibition It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make— (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.

Trump Administration taking part in it...hmmm those lies and stories and reversals and rolling admissions are ALL too well known by their own TV interviews and tweets! They are just trying, to now tell America, that their breaking the law wasn't breaking the law. Maybe not one law, but possibly many laws!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, I don't think Trump's story about this meeting has changed in any way. As I remember this story being reported, Don Jr admitted that the original reason he took this meeting was he was told he would be receiving some sort of damning information about Hillary Clinton. However, the claim is when he actually took the meeting, the woman offered no such information, and instead was discussing this whole adoption thing. And Trump has maintained throughout that he did not know about the meeting beforehand. So while I won't say the president has never told a lie, in this instance he doesn't appear to be lying or changing his story. It's pretty much the same story that was told way back when this was news. The only thing new is him saying it's "totally legal" which of course it is. You people know about the tactics used by the Clinton campaign against Trump. Do you honestly believe the Clinton campaign acted honorably? Do you honestly not understand that both sides engaged in less than honorable, albeit legal tactics to try to win that election? For me, one of the biggest problems is Democrats inability to admit that their side engaged in the same dirty tactics that the Republicans did to try to win that election. I'm sorry that the end result left your candidate on the losing end, but that doesn't change the fact that both parties are one and same when it comes to what they are willing to do to try and win an election. And pretending the Democrats are somehow the more "honorable" or "honest" party is absolutely disingenuous.
I disagree with your spin about 'less than honorable, yet legal'.

I would agree that opposition research is less than honorable, but it happens on every level of politics on all sides. So we can set that aside as a given.

You claim that what Trump's team has done with this meeting in Trump tower with Russians is legal. Uhhh no. They can't solicit help from foreign sources. If it was offered free, no strings attached it is an illegal campaign contribution. If there was any policy action whatsoever offered in return that is a Quid Pro Quo and tantamount to treason.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wait a minute...Stop the presses...You mean it was not about adoption after all?

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place Cadet Bone Spurs? This changes everything...
tt
Why he hid it who knows but I have a gut feeling he is right. There is nothing illegal about what he did if indeed this is the truth. I do not remember Trump or Trump Jr saying he did not go to Russia and I don't remember either saying anything about the actual reason he did go. You are reading too much garbage.

As for the bone spurs, why are so many of you bothering about what happened 50 years ago and what is true? Most of you were not even adults them, you do not know how the military works and are assuming something you know nothing about? My own husband was turned down for Marine officers school because of a bad knee that really wasn't all that bad. This was 60 years ago, yes he did have some knee damage but not that bad. He still wishes he could have served. So don't be too sure the heel spurs did not play a part in Trump's not serving. At least he isn't a Draft dodger like someone else we know. I have a daughter who had surgery for bone spurs, it isn't a fun operation and have a friend right now that is trying to decide if shy wants to go thru with surgery or live with the pain. Also remember if you can that what treatments were available 50 years ago as compared to today are very different.

I am not defending Trump or his son I am just pointing out that Trump haters are just out of their minds with trying to hang him for nothing.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-05-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So don't be too sure the heel spurs did not play a part in Trump's not serving. At least he isn't a Draft dodger like someone else we know.

BTW I am not defending Trump or his son I am just pointing out that Trump haters are just out of their minds with trying to hang him for nothing.
Everything about this post is textbook “defending Trump.” From legitimizing his bone spurs, to deflecting attention to other draft dodgers, to calling his opponents “haters, to declaring that he hasn’t done anything to warrant the hate.

On this forum, there’s no shame in being a Trump apologist. You’re in good company here. So just own it and stop pretending to be neutral.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
tt
Why he hid it who knows but I have a gut feeling he is right. There is nothing illegal about what he did if indeed this is the truth.

As for the bone spurs, why are so many of you bothering about what happened 50 years ago and what is true? Most of you were not even adults them, you do not know how the military works and are assuming something you know nothing about? My own husband was turned down for Marine officers school because of a bad knee that really wasn't all that bad. This was 60 years ago, yes he did have some knee damage but not that bad. He still wishes he could have served. So don't be too sure the heel spurs did not play a part in Trump's not serving. At least he isn't a Draft dodger like someone else we know.

BTW I am not defending Trump or his son I am just pointing out that Trump haters are just out of their minds with trying to hang him for nothing.
Who knows? Anyone with common sense and the knowledge of what a liar, traitor Trump is. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the sanctions and the Magnitsky Act. But you are free to believe that a proven liar, grifter and money launderer with numerous ties to the Russkie mafia over many years is telling the truth.. about anything. I really do not care about his damned bone spurs as I am more concerned with his pathetic loyalty to and camaraderie with a foreign adversary that attacked then USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies