Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:38 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times

Advertisements

Started reading this and thought it was a great article to start a discussion about NeoLiberalism and DNC style corruption. Just want to offer a disclaimer, (don't know specific forum rules) that I'd like this discussion to be with Liberals and Independents, mostly.

This whole police corruption movement began addressing issues in a creative way. Music and Media were the forums and through promotion and real grassroots organizing/mobilizing, we were able to reach some of those who were left behind in the current system. I think its very easy to say "I support lower crime" or to say "I support reducing poverty" but the execution of those things, is where things always get messy. Getting people to agree can be difficult.

I want to have this discussion about NeoLiberalism vs Grassroots. I've gotten to watch it play out on the left with Black Lives Matter (Soros/DNC/Media) vs. The Movement (Original grassroots Movement that organized/mobilized around these issues), and its honestly been an enlightening experience. I truly believe that collectively we know how to solve our problems, its just that we often get sabotaged in execution (neoliberalism - the induction of money into politics).

Anyways, here's the article. Wanting to discuss the article (thoughts?) and the Grassroots vs NeoLiberalism debate.

https://truthout.org/articles/chicag...neoliberalism/

"Local organizer Maria Hernandez bristled at Emanuel’s efforts to deflect responsibility for the crisis. “How dare Rahm blame us for the ineptitude of his department?” asked Hernandez. “We are the ones dying and burying our families. Over here, police are as violent and lawless as the gangs, and get half the city budget only to produce the lowest solve-rate for murders in 30 years.” Hernandez added that the city does not provide adequate survivor services or address any of the root issues that fuel crime. “We can’t increase access to the legal economy because all our city funds go to a failed police department,” Hernandez told Truthout. “What does Rahm expect?”

In response to Emanuel’s insistence that community members need to play a larger role in solving crimes, Hernandez was blunt: “When a cop violates my whole bill of rights in order to investigate a possible bag of weed on Tuesday, he’s not the person I’m going to trust with my safety on Saturday when I hear what might be a shot in the distance.”

Old 08-11-2018, 09:47 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
I understand that the Chicago PD is corrupt, and has an awful relationship with the community, but until people start coming forward and naming the people who shot at them or their friends the problem won’t be solved. Don’t you guys have an anonymous tip line? At the very least, call them from a pay phone and give them names.

I try to imagine a large group of people shooting 72 people in various neighborhoods in my area and not one person calling the cops with names. It just wouldn’t happen. We want murderers off the streets. These guys don’t care that you have nothing to do with the person they’re targeting. If you’re in the general vicinity, you’re going to get caught in a spray of bullets. Doesn’t matter if you’re a kid, and old person, a mother or father.

People like that just need to be separated from society. The only way to do that is to get them arrested. And the only way to get them arrested is to work with the police. It’s got to start somewhere.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:10 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I understand that the Chicago PD is corrupt, and has an awful relationship with the community, but until people start coming forward and naming the people who shot at them or their friends the problem won’t be solved. Don’t you guys have an anonymous tip line? At the very least, call them from a pay phone and give them names.
Can you imagine a prosecutor going into court and calling his first witness. Will the anonymous tip line please take the stand.

Quote:
I try to imagine a large group of people shooting 72 people in various neighborhoods in my area and not one person calling the cops with names. It just wouldn’t happen. We want murderers off the streets. These guys don’t care that you have nothing to do with the person they’re targeting. If you’re in the general vicinity, you’re going to get caught in a spray of bullets. Doesn’t matter if you’re a kid, and old person, a mother or father.
Try to imagine that same neighborhood where the people that step forward and call the cops are then gunned down before the court date to testify. There would be a change in that neighborhood.

Quote:
People like that just need to be separated from society. The only way to do that is to get them arrested. And the only way to get them arrested is to work with the police. It’s got to start somewhere.
If it were that simple the problem wouldn't be what it is now.

We know how to clean out a rats nest. No one has the will to do it and be prosecuted for the collateral damage. Its not like making a movie with the happy ending.

The real change will come when the racist democrat platform is taken apart plank by plank and the fathers are allowed back in the households.

Last edited by phma; 08-11-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:

Maybe things like this is why the CPD has an awful relationship with "the community" (nice code words by the way). Or maybe it's because "the community" that demands the police work harder to get guns off the street rally around a gun-carrying criminal who gets shot dead when he tries to draw his gun on them. Or maybe it's because "the community" becomes outraged when the police actually try to catch the thieves who have been robbing Norfolk Southern blind -- including several thefts of firearms shipments that the very same Outrage Activists™ claim to want off the street.

And then tomorrow, the Outrage Activists™ who side with criminals and thieves will pretend not to understand why businesses don't want to invest in "the community" so they can pretend to be outraged that there are no jobs there while they rake in grants for their good works.

No other "community" in Chicago seem to have such an awful relationship with the police. Those other "communities" also don't have nearly the magnitude of crime issues. What a coincidence, huh?

Last edited by Bitey; 08-11-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Are you saying I’m racist because I said “community”? No, there’s a community of people afraid to talk to the police. I understand why, but it won’t change until someone brave enough steps up and calls the cops. If they testify, maybe they’ll have to move. It probably wouldn’t be the worst thing that happens to them.

And phma, who said anonymous tip lines don’t work, yeah they do. Give the cops names and they can take them into custody and possibly get a confession. We have anonymous tip lines here. I’m pretty sure they exist in every jurisdiction. If they didn’t work, then why would they be everywhere?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
No you're not racist because you said "the community" but why not be courageous enough to come right out and say what you mean -- especially in a post demanding far more consequential courage from the very same "community?"

Old 08-11-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:

If the police department is corrupt, and they have informants working within the department and you testify or claim witness against those paying the informants inside, they'll kill you.

Kill enough witnesses and people shut up.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 AM

[quote=phma;52770085]
Quote:

Can you imagine a prosecutor going into court and calling his first witness. Will the anonymous tip line please take the stand.

Try to imagine that same neighborhood where the people that step forward and call the cops are then gunned down before the court date to testify. There would be a change in that neighborhood.

If it were that simple the problem wouldn't be what it is now.

We know how to clean out a rats nest. No one has the will to do it and be prosecuted for the collateral damage. Its not like making a movie with the happy ending.

The real change will come when the racist democrat platform is taken apart plank by plank and the fathers are allowed back in the households.
I think you explained it perfectly.

On top of that, once the police have harrassed you enough, and cost you enough $$ or made you into a "criminal," it can have a negative effect on your life. Which is the problem with only trying to make communities "submit" by heavy handed policing. Policing might be part of the solution, but investing in public schools, sports programs, etc is also a way to reduce crime. I don't think either party has a clear cut realistic solution to reducing crime. Both are just pushing more of the same.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If the police department is corrupt, and they have informants working within the department and you testify or claim witness against those paying the informants inside, they'll kill you.

Kill enough witnesses and people shut up.

Get real! You think small street gangs can afford to pay off the PD???

The problem is: Instead of a few large gangs like most big cities, they have literally hundreds of very small gangs all warring with each other.

The root of the problem is there is no central figures who can tell the underlings to knock it off, plus easy access to guns, plus decades of redlining that created a very large ghetto, and very little job prospects for the south side residents.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
No you're not racist because you said "the community" but why not be courageous enough to come right out and say what you mean -- especially in a post demanding far more consequential courage from the very same "community?"
I said community because they are neighborhoods where this is happening. That’s what community means to me. And these particular neighborhoods apparently refuse to name the killers. I understand it’s scary, but it won’t be solved any other way. That’s just a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies