Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 07:17 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times

Advertisements

Watching "Comics in Cars" and thought this was a good point by Seinfeld (his direct quote). Thought this was especially on point with the current online climate where big tech are in the middle of the "not allowing" phase and showing their own intolerance. Anyone upset or outraged? What happened to the ideology of "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It" that was important enough that the Founding Fathers put it as the #1 Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 07:28 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I saw a photo this morning on Yahoo news from the "clash" of the white supremacists and a group of counter protesters at the rally in SC yesterday. It had a white guy using a flag pole to keep a black guy that was pointing a 3' long flame from a with a burning aerosol can back.

Where is the tolerance in that?

The white guys might have a message of hate but they have a right to say it and those who are opposed have the right to turn their backs and ignore them. No one has the right to try and set someone on fire no matter how "inflammatory" their speech might be.

Gone are the days of tolerance and we have entered the days of If I don;t agree with you I will shout you down and possible beat you up and maybe kill you.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:31 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Watching "Comics in Cars" and thought this was a good point by Seinfeld (his direct quote). Thought this was especially on point with the current online climate where big tech are in the middle of the "not allowing" phase and showing their own intolerance. Anyone upset or outraged? What happened to the ideology of "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It" that was important enough that the Founding Fathers put it as the #1 Amendment.
This is, simply put, stupid. It is not the place of a tolerant to allow that which leads to material harm. Only the stupid or intellectually dishonest would make such an argument.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:33 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
I believe the standard justification is "the only thing I'm intolerant of is intolerance". It's the unassailable loophole that allows them to pursue their agenda aggressively and sometimes even violently with absolutely no regard to their own insincerity.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
You certainly cannot shame and manipulate people by being tolerant. That leaves being intolerant of them and accusing them of all kinds of things. It's the intolerance of the self-proclaimed tolerant.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:43 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
That is not at all what 1A says.

1A: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress can violate 1A. Individuals cannot, nor can businesses or corporations. 1A gives you the right to say what you want without government interference. It does not give you the right to be heard or tolerated.

In short, you have the right to speak freely, and I have an equal right to shout you down. You can say what you want, but you own it, and whatever consequences it generates.

I personally will not give a platform to any sort of white supremacist, be they klan or nazi neoconfederate or garden variety bigot, and I tend to speak up loudly.

Your quote about "defending your right" is from Voltaire, BTW - a Frenchman.
Attached Thumbnails
The problem with not allowing intolerant talk is that you are now intolerant.-36686092_2051118178240165_3182063633777557504_n.jpg  

Last edited by cuebald; 08-11-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 07:54 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That is not at all what 1A says.

1A: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress can violate 1A. Individuals cannot, nor can businesses or corporations. 1A gives you the right to say what you want without government interference. It does not give you the right to be heard or tolerated.

In short, you have the right to speak freely, and I have an equal right to shout you down. You can say what you want, but you own it, and whatever consequences it generates.

I personally will not give a platform to any sort of white supremacist, be they klan or nazi neoconfederate or garden variety bigot, and I tend to speak up loudly.
If that is true then there is no path to vote for a democrat.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Free speech does not extend to the private sector.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I saw a photo this morning on Yahoo news from the "clash" of the white supremacists and a group of counter protesters at the rally in SC yesterday. It had a white guy using a flag pole to keep a black guy that was pointing a 3' long flame from a with a burning aerosol can back.

Where is the tolerance in that?

The white guys might have a message of hate but they have a right to say it and those who are opposed have the right to turn their backs and ignore them. No one has the right to try and set someone on fire no matter how "inflammatory" their speech might be.

Gone are the days of tolerance and we have entered the days of If I don;t agree with you I will shout you down and possible beat you up and maybe kill you.
Trying to set someone on fire is not speech. Nice try though. Do you have a video of that?

Here is an example of the tolerance of the left. Funny, fire seems to be the theme of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnERQIhsCFc&t=12s

Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,459 times
Quote:
You mean like Trump's response to the football kneeling protests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies