Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abortion and Gay Marriage Governed by State Law Instead of Federal Law
Yes 13 50.00%
No 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care what Trump does to the country if my state can continue to operate as it does.

If Republicans want to outlaw abortion, gay marriage federally, that's fine, IF states can be allowed to continue as they do. My state already voted for gay marriage by vote. Larger companies such as tech companies will not move to states where draconian laws are passed, so if anything, this just narrows the pool to our state's benefit. Would Trump supporters be fine with letting Trump right wing the country and pushing it to the states? This seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm safely ensconced in a blue state (whew for that).

I would be fine if health care was done by the states too IF we could put a ten year qualification period so red state refugees couldn't come running to our state when they got sick. Same with marijuana (also allowed in my state, we got $319 million in tax revenue from it last year).

Eventually, we could just make the a state's rights country that would grow to be regionalized and essentially just be a country when it comes to national defense. Trump supporters have to admit, we hate each other too much to continue as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
As long as they don't make it a crime for people to do those things in states where it's legal.

For example, if Alabama arrested a returning resident for travelling to Massachusetts for an abortion, I'd disagree with that.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As long as they don't make it a crime for people to do those things in states where it's legal.
Well yes, obviously. That would be a point. If the states make it legal, it should not be a crime. For states like Alabama, they could make their laws as draconian as they want since their voters actually want that. Then perhaps we could just deal with each other on national defense and completely ignore each other otherwise.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well yes, obviously. That would be a point. If the states make it legal, it should not be a crime. For states like Alabama, they could make their laws as draconian as they want since their voters actually want that. Then perhaps we could just deal with each other on national defense and completely ignore each other otherwise.
I clarified above since I don't think I was clear at first.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that I really don't care what Trump does to the country if my state can continue to operate as it does.

If Republicans want to outlaw abortion, gay marriage federally, that's fine, IF states can be allowed to continue as they do. My state already voted for gay marriage by vote. Larger companies such as tech companies will not move to states where draconian laws are passed, so if anything, this just narrows the pool to our state's benefit. Would Trump supporters be fine with letting Trump right wing the country and pushing it to the states? This seems like a no-brainer to me but I'm safely ensconced in a blue state (whew for that).

I would be fine if health care was done by the states too IF we could put a ten year qualification period so red state refugees couldn't come running to our state when they got sick. Same with marijuana (also allowed in my state, we got $319 million in tax revenue from it last year).

Eventually, we could just make the a state's rights country that would grow to be regionalized and essentially just be a country when it comes to national defense. Trump supporters have to admit, we hate each other too much to continue as it is.
Dammit, stop that. What the bloody hell makes you think every single person who lives in a red state voted for this assclown? Do you really propose to lock out people who live in red states and would love to relocate but simply cannot right now, for whatever reason? Really?

There are people in these states who busted their butts to defeat him. You want to keep them out? People who voted against him, who campaigned against him? Really?

We are on the same side in our dislike of Trump, but you post stuff like this all the time, as if every single person living outside your little paradise is evil incarnate, and I am thisclose to putting you on permanent ignore. I assume one of the things you dislike about him is his attitude towards immigrants, but when you talk this way, you are just as bad as he is.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 06-28-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

For example, if Alabama arrested a returning resident for travelling to Massachusetts for an abortion, I'd disagree with that.
Oh, okay, well yes, that seems fair. We don't prosecute people that go to a brothel in Las Vegas when they get back home.

I could see this working for all the issues this country is so divided about. Push Medicare and Social Security to the states. If a red state wants to end both programs, that's on them, perhaps the person cashes out or something. But they don't get to "rejoin" by moving to a blue state and blue states could continue programs as they are. Perhaps we do it with student loans, etc. but the loan becomes due immediately if the person wants to take that education to a red state.

Just basically let the red states be what they want to be and let blue states be what they want to be.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Dammit, stop that. What the bloody hell makes you think every single person who lives in a red state voted for this assclown? Do you really propose to lock out people who live in red states and would love to relocate but simply cannot right now, for whatever reason? Really?

We are on the same side in our dislike of Trump, but you post stuff like this all the time, as if every single person living outside your little paradise is evil incarnate, and I am thisclose to putting you on permanent ignore. I assume one of the things you dislike about him is his attitude towards immigrants, but when you talk this way, you are just as bad as he is.
I'm sorry but how long can this country go on like this? It can't. If we don't find a way to co-exist, the country is going to be at each other's throats. As it is, Republicans are going to try to take everything away, right? They simply are. Read Republican sites and they are chomping at the bit about this next Supreme Court Justice and "righting" the laws they oppose like gay marriage and abortion. They dream of fixing the disastrous deficit Trump created by whittling away at Medicare and Social Security. Probably the only thing they aren't freaking out about is marijuana and they seem quiet about that. If we don't preserve the ground we can get, there will be no ground to have at all. I'm being realistic.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but how long can this country go on like this? It can't. If we don't find a way to co-exist, the country is going to be at each other's throats. As it is, Republicans are going to try to take everything away, right? They simply are. Read Republican sites and they are chomping at the bit about this next Supreme Court Justice and "righting" the laws they oppose like gay marriage and abortion. They dream of fixing the disastrous deficit Trump created by whittling away at Medicare and Social Security. Probably the only thing they aren't freaking out about is marijuana and they seem quiet about that. If we don't preserve the ground we can get, there will be no ground to have at all. I'm being realistic.
That's all well and good, and I see your point, but you are going further than that when you talk about keeping red state residents out of your new country.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's all well and good, and I see your point, but you are going further than that when you talk about keeping red state residents out of your new country.
The only thing that concerns me about red states and tenure is health coverage. That's the only thing. I don't see how a blue state can create health coverage based on averages, if they are having to cover red state refugees that try to game the system. Otherwise, I'm not trying to keep out red state residents that are trying to flee an oppressive regime. I'm trying to stake safe ground for those of us that know this country is going to be extremely right wing soon.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:

I do care what Trump does to our country but it's a mute point since republicans are in control of everything. And I am also grateful that I live in a blue state where unions are supported, LGBT rights and rights of women are supported and cannabis is supported. States economy will also grow with cannabis being legal. Colorado made over a billion in sales last year. Republicans want smaller government so let's give control over to each state without federal intervention. The poorer states won't survive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies