Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm a dual citizen of a country with UHC, and one time when my in-laws visited (both proud Trump supporters), I got injured and had to get immediate treatment, and the whole gang accompanied me there.

Usually in the US I had to wait at least 20 minutes, plus the millions of forms, insurance stuff, etc.

Here, I just handed over my health card, sat in the waiting room with hubby and company, and within 10 minutes I was called in, and I was treated.

After I went back to the waiting room, my inlaws asked how long I'd have to wait, and were confused when I told them that I was done, and that we're all good to go.

Later during dinner, my FIL confessed that he couldn't believe I wasn't going to get a bill for that, and he had no idea the healthcare system was so efficiently run. And then he said something like that would be nice to have in the US.

He's still a Trump supporter through and through, but I guess he kind of got a peek at our healthcare system and saw that it was better than he thought it was.
Wow, your visit to the emergency room in a UHC nation was literally an advertisement that one would see on the television, disbelieving "proud Trump supporters" and all!

In other words, laughable!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:42 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
They're the biggest takers, I bet their W2s show they paid 0 in federal taxes Nothing for them!!!!
Its pure slavery that a rich person has to pay taxes

Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why would one need to lose one's insurance? Are you unaware that disabled people actually have jobs? Yes, even blind people have jobs.
You lose your insurance because you lost your job as you go blind. The employer doesnt want to keep you anymore. Or the insurance company denies your claim. Your wife died in the same car accident. The culprit was a person who was homeless who drove the car under the influence and didnt care about life anymore. Perhaps you have children to take care of as well. Life happens and your "freedom" means nothing when you live in a society where the consequences of social problems and misery can hit you at any time. Even by a car.

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed.

And aside from the prices, you will get the VAT slapped down on it before you leave.
On the otherhand in Germany you can get a good beer at a pub for 1-2 euros. In the USA if you find beer for that price it's either happy hour, or something like Michelob (yuck).

And VAT is usually included in the price, unlike the USA which slaps sales tax at the end when you pay for it.

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Yes, let's make the blind work, the people in wheelchairs, those with cancer, the elderly, the kids. Because if you don't work = you don't eat. Now that's freedom
What would make you think they don't want to work? Is it some kind of projection of your own deep-seated wish to be a slacker?

The elderly have prepaid for 40 years for their SS and Medicare, and I'm not sure you're aware of this fact... Most people LOSE money on SS. They get LESS back in benefits than they've paid in SS taxes for 40 years.

Additionally, children are their parents' responsibility, not mine or anyone else's.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
What would make you think they don't want to work? Is it some kind of projection of your own deep-seated wish to be a slacker?

The elderly have prepaid for 40 years for their SS and Medicare, and I'm not sure you're aware of this fact... Most people LOSE money on SS. They get LESS back in benefits than they've paid in SS taxes for 40 years.

Additionally, children are their parents' responsibility, not mine or anyone else's.
Yes work yourself to death. You're describing a hellish society. And only someone thoroughly brainwashed can say what you're saying with a straight face.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
People should be entitled to food, healthcare, and education at a bare minimum. Overall its better for society in the long run.
If you believe so, YOU pay for it. Put your money where your mouth is. And public education in the US has been a colossal disaster. I've already posted how even our millennials with PhD degrees are at the bottom of the international rankings. I'll post the info again, if you wish.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Sorry I misspoke. You knew what I was implying regardless. But you tried to pretend you did not.

If you are disabled and unable to work you basically earn nothing. Or you play the game like lots of people do and earn under the table. As a business owner you have no idea how many times people would apply for a job and just openly ask if I can pay them in cash because they have applied for benefits. I would never do that. So if you can get away with it you can earn more than $300 a month. I am not recommending anyone do this but I know they do. And until the feds make us a cashless society it will keep happening. I know of a woman in Arizona that gets disability and does swap meets to get cash. Says she can't work and is disabled but lugs all these heavy boxes back and forth every weekend. Probably makes more money every week than half the people reading this.

You should save your money regardless. That is being prudent. If you expect to be disabled in the future perhaps save up some money and move to a state that gives you more money.
Its not about "expecting to be disabled". Its about a safety net which is close to non-existent in Texas. Particularly bad is the total lack of health care for anyone earning more than $300 a month. Your only real solution is to try to scam the system, which says a lot really. Its appalling.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:47 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Yes work yourself to death. You're describing a hellish society. And only someone thoroughly brainwashed can say what you're saying with a straight face.
I have some conservative friends I'm in the real estate business and showed them some of the crazy things that the hard core libertarians are saying on here. They concluded that they were lunatics.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:

My 1st wife had a co worker at a state government office who was legally blind. And she was excellent at her job. People do have pride in being independent and it gives them self worth. Seems like the left wants to tell these people they have no value to society just take your check and go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies