Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You want to take away their milk too!

How ever did kids who grew up on whole milk in the 50s 60s 70s avoid this diabetes epidemic?.

Milk is white and racist. Ca. could have offered tea and avoided the obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 10:25 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
You want to take away their milk too!

How ever did kids who grew up on whole milk in the 50s 60s 70s avoid this diabetes epidemic?.
There is no type 1 diabetes epidemic.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 AM

639 posts, read 248,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
America's government currently has laws preventing young children from dropping out of school, using tobacco products, using alcohol, and walking the streets alone late at night.

Should the above laws be abolished?
Yes. Its the parents job. My kids hate me smoking,they play until I say its time to come in etc...I wouldn't let them drop out of school because if they do right down to the military recruiting station we go. Government is no substitute for decent parenting.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Then let's do what we were doing in 1978. Gym class, walking to school, bike riding, go out and play. I stuffed my face with Screaming Yellow Zonkers, HoHos and Mountain Dew and never got fat nor did my classmates. Cavities, another story.

They are fat because of lack of exercise and taking away their sodas doesn't make up for it.
Outstanding post.

But today's children spend 1//2 the time outside playing compared to their parents. Instead today's children watch TV, play video games, and use their smart phones.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ir-parents-did

How could America's kids be made to spend more time outside playing?

"In the 1970s, sugary drinks made up about 4% of US daily calorie intake; by 2001, that had risen to about 9%."

"Sugary drinks increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and gout."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...ks-fact-sheet/

Old 08-21-2018, 11:23 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
How old are these kids eating kids meals in restaurants? Don't they usually have an age limit of under 12? Certainly any pre-teen or teen can go into any grocery or supermarket and buy their own can of soda.

Next? We card for sugary drinks under they age of 18? Lot worse things they can do than buy soda.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Yes. Its the parents job. My kids hate me smoking,they play until I say its time to come in etc...I wouldn't let them drop out of school because if they do right down to the military recruiting station we go. Government is no substitute for decent parenting.
If America solely relied on "good parenting" to control the actions of America's children, there would be too many children smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, dropping out of school, ex.ex.

And "good parenting" might be the #1 factor in creating healthy children, but government regulations regarding our children would be the #2 factor.

With all due respect, this philosophy of "Good parenting solves all our children's problems, and no government regulations are needed to keep our children safe", this philosophy is insane (without government regulations everything around us would be poisoned by toxic pollution and huge numbers of us would have cancer, children included.)

Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sounds like a meaningless bill. It says that restaurants are restricted to serving only water or milk but can serve something else (juice, soda) if the parents request it.
I t is a stupid bill.. Way back when, kids drank soda, juice and whatever: still didn't have the same weight problems so many have today.

I sometimes just wish CA would fall into the ocean and form their own country along the way!!!!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:34 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
"People who consume sugary drinks regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks."

"A study that followed 40,000 men for two decades found that those who averaged one can of a sugary beverage per day had a 20% higher risk of having a heart attack or dying from a heart attack than men who rarely consumed sugary drinks."
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...s-and-disease/

"People who regularly drink sugary soft drinks are found to be more at risk of several types of cancer than those who don’t."
https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/artic...t-size-you-are

"Chocolate milk contains added sugars and therefore more calories that can lead to more overweight and obesity. In the United States, 1/3 of children are already overweight and obese and at higher risk for chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer."
Chocolate Milk for Kids: Healthy or Not? – AICR Blog

Should the government enact laws to keep our children healthy?
And do you believe people or businesses have the right to give America's children diabetes, heart attacks, and cancer?

And America already has laws preventing children from purchasing and using tobacco products and alcohol, should these laws be abolished?
I’m guessing you would approve of laws allowing food police to storm family homes, you know just to ensure parents don’t give their kiddies any sugar.

Of course you would approve, I mean sugar is bad for kids and you want to protect them, don’t you?

Old 08-21-2018, 02:27 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
If America solely relied on "good parenting" to control the actions of America's children, there would be too many children smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, dropping out of school, ex.ex.

And "good parenting" might be the #1 factor in creating healthy children, but government regulations regarding our children would be the #2 factor.

With all due respect, this philosophy of "Good parenting solves all our children's problems, and no government regulations are needed to keep our children safe", this philosophy is insane (without government regulations everything around us would be poisoned by toxic pollution and huge numbers of us would have cancer, children included.)
There is no such thing as "Americas children". There are families comprised of individuals. You do not get to take their rights away over the wants of some collective (trying to create a master race).

Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
When I was in school we got milk, which I hated, so I just drank water. And I lived to tell the tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies