Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:40 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,666,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
Leftist totalitarians will cheer. My kids don't get soda but every once in a while and its ALWAYS caffeine free. They drink tea,juice,water,milk etc. I was allowed to drink soda growing up and I don't want my kids having any issues associated with too much soda drinking. Its the parents job to control this not the governments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like none of the guvs business.
America's government currently has laws preventing young children from dropping out of school, using tobacco products, using alcohol, and walking the streets alone late at night.

Should the above laws be abolished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM

45,311 posts, read 26,580,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
America's government currently has laws preventing young children from dropping out of school, using tobacco products, using alcohol, and walking the streets alone late at night.

Should the above laws be abolished?
Yes. Govt mandates are no subsitute for parenting.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,123,269 times
Governments should not legislate lifestyle choices -- like who we can marry, what kind of drinks our kids can be served, etc.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,608,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
A lot of people are lactose intolerant and if they drink milk get sick. Gov. needs to stay out of it.
Govt needs to stay out of a lot of things, including this.

What if they drink the milk from a plastic straw?

Old 08-19-2018, 09:54 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,875,473 times
Quote:
Sounds like none of the guvs business.
It shouldn't be the government's business, but I guess when they figure they have to foot the healthcare bills for all those with diabetes, heart disease, etc., that they get a say. If people would take responsibility for their own health it would be a different story.

Now if only the government would stay out of people's bedrooms and not tell women what to do with their bodies.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 AM

25,452 posts, read 9,875,473 times
Quote:
Agreed. But many parents don't know how to parent, unfortunately.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,666,480 times
Quote:
An America where 12 year old children can smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, drop out of school, drink nothing but soda, and walk the streets alone late at night sounds irresponsible and dangerous to me.

I see you point about peoples rights and the overreach of government. But the fact is a large percentage of American parents do not have the ability, knowledge, or power to fully control their children. And without laws to laws to stop our children from doing certain harmful things (large numbers of Americas children would be at risk.)

Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Agreed. But many parents don't know how to parent, unfortunately.
None of your beezewax mrs kravitz

Old 08-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
An America where 12 year old children can smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, drop out of school, drink nothing but soda, and walk the streets alone late at night sounds irresponsible and dangerous to me.

I see you point about peoples rights and the overreach of government. But the fact is a large percentage of American parents do not have the ability, knowledge, or power to fully control their children. And without laws to laws to stop our children from doing certain harmful things (large numbers of Americas children would be at risk.)
So dont let your kids do it. If you like your nanny state, you can keep your nanny state...in your d*** home.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,722,166 times
The government isn't and should never be the default adoption agency for kids that have parents or for the parents either. Passing laws against freedom of choice is a bad idea and overreach.

Last edited by phma; 08-19-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies