Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Like fascism spreading throughout early 20th century Europe, private censorship of individual ideas is spreading rapidly through the technology business community. Netflix has decided to shut down commentary on its videos and movies. Although it claims That this is due to low participation, it is pretty clear that this is just part of the trend to censor few points many of which no doubt are comments that, as a whole, were criticizing their crappy shows.

Netflix kills off its reviews section | Daily Mail Online

How long does this forum have until its shut down? A year? Two?
1) I'm a big Netflix user and I didn't know it existed.

2) They have lots of great shows and some crappy shows.

3) This is not fascism and it's frankly insulting to both our intelligence and actual victims of fascism with
that whiny post full of hyperbole.

4) There are a ton of review sites out there that comment on a variety of shows. You could also start your own blog. Netflix hosting their own comments costs them money and is redundant.

5) We both know that they likely got tired of policing NUTJOBS posting political and other garbage off-topic to the actual show....just like this forum has to police idiots that talk about bombing a gathering of muslims or Trump or whatever other idiocy is going on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The irony is, you conflate the 2 as if they are one in the same. The level of low information intellect, we have to deal with here daily. Or you are being dishonest with yourself, for a greater agenda.
Oh, but I haven't conflated the two whatsoever. I, for instance, know that the simple act of a content provider removing user generated content does not automatically turn them into a content publisher.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I absolutely love watching these Repubs bellyaching to no end over private companies running their businesses as they see fit. Isn't that what you've been wanting, righties? For private businesses to treat people any way they wish with no regard for human decency? Well, it looks like those chickens are coming home to roost. I say grow a pair and live with it. That's how you expect others to deal with these situations. Poetic justice at its finest!
It IS kinda funny.

That aside -who in the heck spent time looking at or making comments on Netflix???!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Why would anyone think a private company should be forced to host a platform for their personal views?
In other news, most tech co's lean left and as such opposing viewpoints will not be recieved warmly if at all.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
For how long? The issue is not just Netflix deleting its comments section. It’s the concerted effort among the tech companies to remove dissent, individual opinion, and free discourse from the internet.
I would hazard to guess that there are still millions of other sites where one can offer dissent, etc. to their heart's delight.
And even if there weren't, so what?

How did people survive before they could spew their thoughts and feelings all over the internet?

Seriously.

Movies, books, etc. existed long before Netflix, Goodreads and the like.
People still enjoyed them without reading the often questionable "reviews" from the population-at-large, many of whom clearly have no intent other than to leave noxious reviews and comments because of some ridiculous inherent biases.

Is what other people think about a movie or TV show that you watch really that important?
Will it change your enjoyment of said media?
Will your life be somehow different if you are not able to voice your, ahem, learned opinion about said entertainment?

What is really being lost here other than yet another opportunity to either vocally swim with the tide or against it?
If you want to be a published author, reviewer or whatever, there are other outlets for that.

In the meantime, their business, their rules.
Don't like it, boycotts are always popular.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why would anyone think a private company should be forced to host a platform for their personal views?
And people say millennials are entitled.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In other news, most tech co's lean left and as such opposing viewpoints will not be recieved warmly if at all.
With regard to Netflix - they are suspending ALL comments - not just liberal or conservative comments.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
With regard to Netflix - they are suspending ALL comments - not just liberal or conservative comments.
Exactly what I was going to say. It seems the only people upset about this our on the right. Is that because they were the only ones spewing garbage on Netflix's boards? I doubt it.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,617 times
Quote:
You two have a combined 5000 comments on the board and you think that internet comment sections are cesspools and should be shut down?
I'm not sure where you are getting that impression from. If you actually read my comment it makes a case for not shutting them down.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. It seems the only people upset about this our on the right. Is that because they were the only ones spewing garbage on Netflix's boards? I doubt it.
Yep, they likely had to clear a lot of SJW and #metoo off various shows like House of Cards....then no doubt some of the shows with Trump detractors in it....or Roseanne etc. etc. etc.

Who wants to check out what people thought of a movie they might want to watch only to read the type of garbage we get in the political forum?

That's like going to a restaurant and asking the waiter about the soup of the day and having them launch into a tirade about the second amendment and abortion. NOT THE PLACE....but then again political nutters have no sense of their own rudeness most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies