Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 08:41 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So because he assumed room temperature and you're (supposedly) a vet you and others are somehow given a pass or allowed to get away with, or not be called out for being a hypocrite?

Interesting idea, I guess...
What have I said that was hypocritical? Because I respect his service I could not be critical of his policies? Unlike conservatives I do not, have not, and will not pledge blind obedience to someone like you do to Donald Trump. No one should ever stop being critical of their elected officials, even if they perform as admirably as President Obama did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:45 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,069,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Sure, we called him a lot of things, but nothing as nasty as Trump supporters are calling him now. We have respect for his service, but a draft dodger like Trump, and his servile supporters, have no respect for veterans. They have proven that in multiple elections, when they disparaged John Kerry in favor of a man who went AWOL from the National Guard and had to have his daddy tell his C.O. to pencil whip him up an honorable discharge.

McCain served in Vietnam with distinction, while a Manhattan millionaire ducked out.

I'm sorry, again which branch of service did Bill Clinton serve in? And I don't remember the Ozero serving in the military - oh wait never mind he was busy community organizing. And then John Kerry, who mean "swiftboat John"?

Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What have I said that was hypocritical? Because I respect his service I could not be critical of his policies? Unlike conservatives I do not, have not, and will not pledge blind obedience to someone like you do to Donald Trump. No one should ever stop being critical of their elected officials, even if they perform as admirably as President Obama did.
Hey, you're the one who said "I called him a lot of things" and then went on to try and somehow justify running away from those things just because he's now assumed room temperature.

As for the Trump thing? Is that now somehow supposed to be some sort of an insult? Doubly funny as I didn't and don't "support him".

I agree and disagree with him when I feel it's called for, I don't "call him a lot of things" as you and many others do just like I didn't when it came to Obama even though I thought he shouldn't have ever been elected and he did a horrible job...

Old 08-31-2018, 09:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I'm sorry, again which branch of service did Bill Clinton serve in? And I don't remember the Ozero serving in the military - oh wait never mind he was busy community organizing. And then John Kerry, who mean "swiftboat John"?
And smoking pot, doing other drugs,drinking and just all around partying (according to his own book)...

Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
Default John McCain,

Even though this is not a local City topic I feel I should note the death of an American Icon I can feel it
personally- as he meant so much- no matter the party.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And smoking pot, doing other drugs,drinking and just all around partying (according to his own book)...
So he was smoking pot? So have millions of other honorable, successful people. Ever hear of Steve Jobs? Bill Gates? Newt Gringrich? Sarah Palin? Lincoln Chaffee? All of them partook, that doesn't affect their character, right?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:53 PM

894 posts, read 1,548,166 times
Many of us share your views and the pain of his loss. He was a brother in arms and a man of character. I pray that others will follow his lead.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:15 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
I thank John McCain for making me realize that "the lesser of two evils" still isn't what I want. May he rest in peace but he was not one of my favorite politicians. But he's dead now, so I won't run him into the ground. I'm not going to act like he was the best thing that ever happened to the country, either.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-01-2018 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-01-2018, 07:11 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
The man said he was a Republican but most of the time he voted like a Democrat.
So he was bipartisan and voted in the interest of his people. Like every politician should do.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
I think it wonderful that Sen. John McCain is being honored in such a way. The ceremony is truly beautiful, seeing the Honor Guard always impresses me (Visit the Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for an awe inspiring experience, performed multiple times a day, 365 days a year) and seeing all the dignitaries from both sides of the aisle is a wonderful sight, it truly is. What an impressive display.

Moderator cut: trolling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies