Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:34 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times

Advertisements

I normally would never leave my kids in the car alone. However, a few weeks ago I was getting gas and the debit card on the gas machine was not working. I was thinking about pulling my 7 and 5 year olds out of the car to run in and pay. After a second, I decided that me running into the gas station (car doors locked) while I can see them the entire time was safe. I never ran so fast in my life lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I normally would never leave my kids in the car alone. However, a few weeks ago I was getting gas and the debit card on the gas machine was not working. I was thinking about pulling my 7 and 5 year olds out of the car to run in and pay. After a second, I decided that me running into the gas station (car doors locked) while I can see them the entire time was safe. I never ran so fast in my life lol
But you weren't running so fast because you didn't think your kids were safe, you were running so fast because you were worried that a busybody might see what you did and try to ruin your life over it.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
This mom left her kid in a car unattended for 5 min while she went in a store. A do gooder took video with her cell cam of the mom leaving the kid in the car and turned it into the police. An arrest warrant was issued and the mom was suddenly a criminal.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...-legal-battle/

My mom used to leave me in the car all the time for long periods of time. I guess my mom would have got the death penalty.
If I saw a four-year-old in a car alone, I would be calling the police then and there. Take your kid into the store with you.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
But you weren't running so fast because you didn't think your kids were safe, you were running so fast because you were worried that a busybody might see what you did and try to ruin your life over it.
Exactly why! I knew they were safe. They were in a locked car, alone for 45 seconds and I can see them the entire time.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:42 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I guess they would.

Back then you could also beat the snot out of your kids and no one interfered. It was your own business what you did with your kids.

One of our neighbors knocked his daughter's front teeth out because she wouldn't have sex with him any more.

Everyone knew what happened, but no one did a darn thing about it.

Now we have a lot of whining, hand wringing, and free-range parenting laws being passed to ensure that parents can be a neglectful as they want and not face any consequences.
No back then people were prosecuted for child abuse and neglect and rape and incest. There weren't any seat belt laws though and parents could discipline their children without someone calling the police.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:49 AM

23,984 posts, read 15,086,618 times
All these rules. And neither the kids nor the parents are any wiser than years ago.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
This mom left her kid in a car unattended for 5 min while she went in a store. A do gooder took video with her cell cam of the mom leaving the kid in the car and turned it into the police. An arrest warrant was issued and the mom was suddenly a criminal.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...-legal-battle/

My mom used to leave me in the car all the time for long periods of time. I guess my mom would have got the death penalty.
To be honest, I did it one time. It was for two minutes at a cleaners with a floor to ceiling glass window. I never took my eyes off them, but I was still super uncomfortable. Even back then, it really wasn't a very good idea. I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Thank goodness for drive thrus, thats all I got to say.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh yeah I know just saying how even the idea of seat belts and car seats and cars have changed.
There were no car seat or seat belt laws when I was a kid or even when my first was born and the seats were no where near as complicated as they are today. I have a difficult time putting kids in and out of some of these restraints so I guess I'm the dumb grandparent.

Moms child restraint was swinging that right arm across and pinning you against the seat if she had to hit her breaks hard.. Dad stomped the breaks on purpose causing us kids to fly forward. We knew we were in trouble then. We would look at him looking at us through the rear view saying "I TOLD YOU TO SIT DOWN AND BE STILL".
I remember laying in the back window of our woody wood wagon on long trips, it was my favorite spot, and riding in the bed of the truck. All these things would probably get you in trouble today.
I still do that at times and my kids a grown. They tell me to knock it off.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
If I saw a four-year-old in a car alone, I would be calling the police then and there. Take your kid into the store with you.
If you're so concerned, why not stay near the car until the parent returns?

Old 08-28-2018, 11:07 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I never left my kids alone in a car for 10 seconds let alone 5 minutes. My kids were my greatest treasure. More people should report this form of endangerment.
If it's hot, I agree with you. But if it's a chilly winter day? Meh. I often asked to wait in the car when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies