Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
McCain's entire life from childhood, through school, the Academy, Navy, and then politics has been characterized by one trait. He got attention, and ego gratification by being a contrarian, and going against the grain to generate that attention. McCain got it by being a thorn in everyone's side.
Were you thinking those things when you voted for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Wow, same as me.

McCain solidly had my vote against Obama until the Palin pick at which time, that campaign went off the rails. Honestly, IMO, his biggest mistake and while there's all sorts of analysis on why he lost, I believe Palin cost him the election.

I've aligned with him on many things and other times I disagree with him, but I always felt like he loved this country and was fairly honorable in politics. As you said, I won't forget the time he defended Obama against that vile woman who was trying to say that Obama wasn't an American. That was really some class there and a great example of how we should all support each other, even on opposing "sides."
McCain's candidacy was dieing in the polls BEFORE Palin was announced. The Palin pick was a Hail Mary attempt at resuscitation of a dieing campaign.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Enough with the fake praise that he is a hero and a true patriot..2 things most liberals care nothing about. Is it ONLY because he didnt like Trump? Is that the only reason you seem to care all the sudden? Its one thing to heap criticism on the dead, but its quite another to heap obsequious flattery just to hurt someone else.

So...?
Yeah...pretty much!

But hey, he was a good guy and somewhat moderate so I don't "hate" him as much as others and at least he was a decent human being.

I'll never worry about hurting poor old tRump - he makes the Grinch look like a pussycat!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:12 PM

662 posts, read 313,311 times
I am not suddenly praising McCain, I left the Republican party in 2008 because of the tea party wing taking over and turning the party into a circus. Trump is now the ring master for all of the repub clowns and they will only get more and more petty, thin skinned, and full of paranoid conspiracies.
The reason I give McCain respect is because first, unlike president bone spurs, he served his country with honor and dignity instead of ducking responsibility like our coward president. On top of that, McCain wasn't petty like the majority of whining republicans are now. They think the whole world is out to get them on George Soros' payroll and anything they disagree with is some big liberal conspiracy. John McCain actually stayed focus on the substance of issues and fought for what he thought was right.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:14 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Be honest......why troll with the question? You like many on the right are hypocrites with your attacks both on the surface and masked against the left. You do the same crap you accuse the left of doing. Both political sides are quite sad in today's world. So much he said/she said. When will people get it through their thick skulls to look in the mirror before they speak. I find both sides of the political landscape pathetic, and the "other" affiliations are not much better, because at the end of the day we're are all the same - humans.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hmm I can understand why Liberals would like McCain, maybe your thread should have started with why do you Republicans suddenly praise McCain? If I had my choice between McCain for president, and yes, I voted for him, or Trump? Hands down it would have been McCain. Was he a perfect man? No, but Trump couldn't carry his gym towel. McCain was a class act. Trump? Don't make me come over there.
If even PART of what's written in this article is true - then yeah, some "class act" he was.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The obvious way to manipulate Dems is to say the opposite of what Trump really wants. He should pretend he wants open borders, free health care and education for illegals as well as instant citizenship.
Trump manipulates cons very well. As soon as he takes issue with a person, cons will trash said person. You’re so easily played, it’s really sad.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? Show me 1 post where i "loved" McCain"..EVER
This is easy.

Give me one reason why liberals shouldn’t like McCain.

Then give me a reason why YOU shouldn’t like McCain.

You’re not from this state, and you don’t know the man personally. So what’s your beef.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:23 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I just might answer your question, OP, if it weren't riddled with false assumptions, nonsensical generalizations, and insults.
This.

Also, dear OP, your question has been answered, again and again. Some liked McCain, but liked Obama more. Some liked McCain, but didn't care for Palin. Some didn't like McCain's policies, but respect him for his military service. Some like anyone who opposes Trump. which is probably what you're fishing for, but which certainly isn't anything like a comprehensive answer.

People have been honest about their feelings, which run the gamut, as human emotions always do. Anyone who refuses to accept that can go pound sand.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:25 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I just might answer your question, OP, if it weren't riddled with false assumptions, nonsensical generalizations, and insults.
This.

Also, your question has been answered, again and again. Some liked McCain, but liked Obama more. Some liked McCain, but didn't care for Palin. Some didn't like McCain's policies, but respect him for his military service. Some don't like him at all, for the same reason. Some like anyone who opposes Trump, which is probably what you're fishing for, but which certainly isn't anything like a comprehensive answer.

You tell me: Why do people who loved him in 2008 hate him now? The question makes about as much sense, doesn't it?

People have been honest about their feelings, which run the gamut, as human emotions always do. Anyone who refuses to accept that can go pound sand.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 08-28-2018 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies