Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:29 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
An Italian America from New York and a Protestant white from Mississippi tend to have more common heritage, customs, language and religion, ancestry, genetics etc than they do with non-white Americans Asian, middle easterner, or using your extreme examples a somali or non-English speaking Hispanic mestizo from Mexico.
You just explained the exact problem with "White Identity" and why so many find it valueless. Because it doesn't stand for anything specific, its just simply exclusive of something else. Also I find your general assertion to be wrong anyways. An Italian New Yorker would probably have far more in common with an Arab New Yorker then he or she would with a White Protestant Southerner.

In terms of heritage, customs, language, religion, ancestry, genetics....what does a a Italian from New York and a Protestant White Southerner have in common? I would love to see you attempt to bridge this gap.

Quote:
You just want to keep pretending that many even most white Americans don't share heritage, history, ancestry, language, religion, commonality etc with each other more than they do with other groups. That serves liberal's purposes.
Whatever bonds White Americans have, its not because they are white its because they are American. And would therefore apply to any other American of any racial background. Like I said before, being white is a non-identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 04:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
You just explained the exact problem with "White Identity" and why so many find it valueless. Because it doesn't stand for anything specific, its just simply exclusive of something else. Also I find your general assertion to be wrong anyways. An Italian New Yorker would probably have far more in common with an Arab New Yorker then he or she would with a White Protestant Southerner.

In terms of heritage, customs, language, religion, ancestry, genetics....what does a a Italian from New York and a Protestant White Southerner have in common? I would love to see you attempt to bridge this gap.

Whatever bonds White Americans have, its not because they are white its because they are American. And would therefore apply to any other American of any racial background. Like I said before, being white is a non-identity.
Well you're entitled to your opinion. I don't know what makes you the expert on all things white American and how they relate to each other. White Americans all share closer genetic ancestry and heritage with each other than they do with most non-whites. It's not for you to decide what should and does bond them or not. Saying white is a non-identity is absurd and just shows your antagonism.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well you're entitled to your opinion. I don't know what makes you the expert on all things white American and how they relate to each other. White Americans all share closer genetic ancestry and heritage with each other than they do with most non-whites. It's not for you to decide what should and does bond them or not. Saying white is a non-identity is absurd and just shows your antagonism.
Third time I will ask: What do a Italian from New York have in common with a Protestant White Southern from Mississippi? If you think White Americans share some special bond, then please describe it because as far as I can tell it doesn't exist.

After this point I will just assume you can't answer the question and just move on.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:07 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Liberal white men will truly be the death of western society and this country if we let them. These men start off as libertarians and eventually swing to the left. Once in power, they are hideously dangerous. They will institute the very laws they believe are for the advancement and progression of society which then ends up destroying them and the entire country in the process.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Liberal white men will truly be the death of western society and this country if we let them. These men start off as libertarians and eventually swing to the left. Once in power, they are hideously dangerous. They will institute the very laws they believe are for the advancement and progression of society which then ends up destroying them and the entire country in the process.
There is no such thing as "Western Society".

Old 08-30-2018, 05:42 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:

The adherence and allegiance to Christian/Catholic tenements and the God of the Bible for a major point. I thought that was plainly obvious. The morals you learned, the laws that give you "rights", the public and/or private education you've gained, the government that retains justice and order, all were established from Protestant ethics are still largely followed by both groups you mentioned today. And that's not even including the socio-economic factors from marriage, sex, and children which both groups have followed well into the 21st century with similar marital rates, relationships, and large families.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The adherence and allegiance to Christian/Catholic tenements and the God of the Bible for a major point. I thought that was plainly obvious.
Wouldn't an Italian Catholic from New York have more of religious bond with another Catholic from Latin America then a Protestant? How about a Southern Black Baptist with a White Southern Baptist? Since there are millions of Christians all over the world. Many of whom are not "white" it can hardly be used as special bond concerning "white identity"

Quote:
The morals you learned, the laws that give you "rights", the public and/or private education you've gained, the government that retains justice and order, all were established from Protestant ethics are still largely followed by both groups you mentioned today.
Notions such as rule of law, individual rights, education and law and order are vastly older then the Protestant reformation. The origin of some of these things predates civilization in Europe itself dating back to Ancient Mesopotamia, Persia and Greece. Hard to use such things as a form of bonding between "White Americans" when the foundation of such things was put in place by people who were not American and sometimes not even white.

Quote:
And that's not even including the socio-economic factors from marriage, sex, and children which both groups have followed well into the 21st century with similar marital rates, relationships, and large families.
If these are the only things unifying these two groups then its pretty obvious its not much of a bond. Which was exactly my point. White identity has been used from the inception of this country as a marker of exclusion, not as a rallying point for a shared culture or heritage.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
With some of the things he's done, he should have more than a " dark feeling". But that would require him to have a soul....

Old 08-30-2018, 07:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Third time I will ask: What do a Italian from New York have in common with a Protestant White Southern from Mississippi? If you think White Americans share some special bond, then please describe it because as far as I can tell it doesn't exist.

After this point I will just assume you can't answer the question and just move on.
They tend to share a lot in common, and more than they tend to share with people who aren't even white. You are seriously asking me to list all they usually have in common lol. I already answered that. Race, western European history and heritage, language, religion, both tend to have multi-generational ancestry in America, clothing, appearance (I could be confused for having Italian ancestry myself)..

Now you tell me what a white American like me has in common with most people who are not white Americans I see nowadays. What do I have in common with muslim Somalis, dressed in muslim clothing, speaking a foreign language or a mestizo from latin America speaking Spanish? I'd say very little to nothing in common.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
They tend to share a lot in common, and more than they tend to share with people who aren't even white. You are seriously asking me to list all they usually have in common lol. I already answered that. Race, western European history and heritage, language, religion, both tend to have multi-generational ancestry in America, clothing, appearance (I could be confused for having Italian ancestry myself)..

Now you tell me what a white American like me has in common with most people who are not white Americans I see nowadays. What do I have in common with muslim Somalis, dressed in muslim clothing, speaking a foreign language or a mestizo from latin America speaking Spanish? I'd say very little to nothing in common.

What about a person of Latino descent that speaks primarily English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies