Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:54 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times

Advertisements

This isn't to be mean, just realistic and I've heard it from some women cause they were wondering why. They were curious why guys weren't hitting on them anymore. Well, the "Me too" movement doesn't help. Don't get me wrong, a lot of men did things that were inappropriate and they used a position of power to their advantage, and in no way do I support that. At the same time, I can say many guys (normal good guys) are scared to approach women and give them any impression they are interested. So from my perspective the entire dating/approach spectrum has changed whether women want to admit it or not. From now on, many guys will not be aggressive or appear interested at all. So if you are insecure and don't get hit on, this could be a viable option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 01:11 AM

575 posts, read 339,237 times
So, you are putting workplace sexual harassment/abuse on one end of equation.

And free-time dating activity [and/or lack thereof] on another end.

Interesting train of thought

New batch of 'shrooms ?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Ive said this before in another thread: if you respect women this #metoo movement shouldn't affect you. Its men that are overly aggressive with their unwanted inappropriate behavior and comments laced with sexual innuendos that should be worried.

The main reason why men dont hit on women is because they lack confidence, not because of the #meetoo movement.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 09-01-2018 at 01:35 AM..

Old 09-01-2018, 01:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
This isn't to be mean, just realistic and I've heard it from some women cause they were wondering why. They were curious why guys weren't hitting on them anymore. Well, the "Me too" movement doesn't help. Don't get me wrong, a lot of men did things that were inappropriate and they used a position of power to their advantage, and in no way do I support that. At the same time, I can say many guys (normal good guys) are scared to approach women and give them any impression they are interested. So from my perspective the entire dating/approach spectrum has changed whether women want to admit it or not. From now on, many guys will not be aggressive or appear interested at all. So if you are insecure and don't get hit on, this could be a viable option.

Forgetting for a moment that sexual harassment in the workplace is not at all the same thing as dating, what conclusions are you suggesting we draw from your theory?

Are you saying the #metoo movement should never have happened? Are you saying that women who pushed back against inappropriate and unwanted sexual advances from superiors have ended chances at love for the rest of us???

Your theory has some holes in it.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 AM

575 posts, read 339,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Forgetting for a moment that sexual harassment in the workplace is not at all the same thing as dating
Kinda hard, to forget, eh ?

Quote:
I think it's more of an excuse/validation for low-esteem males, as to why they "can't be bothered"

Old 09-01-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Forgetting for a moment that sexual harassment in the workplace is not at all the same thing as dating, what conclusions are you suggesting we draw from your theory?

Are you saying the #metoo movement should never have happened? Are you saying that women who pushed back against inappropriate and unwanted sexual advances from superiors have ended chances at love for the rest of us???

You also forget that many relationships develop in the workplace where most people spend the majority of their time. I never said that men should sexual harass a woman at all, my point was that men hit on women (human nature), but there is a line between hitting on women and being inappropriate. I think we have reached the point where many men (the good guys women are always complaining about that don't hit on them) are not going to pay them attention.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ive said this before in another thread: if you respect women this #metoo movement shouldn't affect you. Its men that are overly aggressive with their unwanted inappropriate behavior and comments laced with sexual innuendos.

The main reason why men dont hit on women is because they lack confidence, not because of the #meetoo movement.
I'm not sure you are completely understanding the thread. I understand completely that many women were disrespected and it shouldn't be tolerated, but there are probably a few cases where some didn't mean harm. So guys will be way more conservative for now on, so women shouldn't expect the same attention. So when guys decide to play video games and avoid women, they shouldn't be alarmed when men aren't the initiator.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You also forget that many relationships develop in the workplace where most people spend the majority of their time. I never said that men should sexual harass a woman at all, my point was that men hit on women (human nature), but there is a line between hitting on women and being inappropriate. I think we have reached the point where many men (the good guys women are always complaining about that don't hit on them) are not going to pay them attention.
I don't think we've even come close to that point.

People are wired to pursue each other. But the reason guys don't (usually) just walk up and hump women like animals is because as humans we have the capacity to use intellect to temper instinct.

If #metoo makes some people reevaluate their behavior and thought processes, that's good. And if a man can't tolerate the risk involved in a dating scenario, he shouldn't proceed.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I don't think we've even come close to that point.

People are wired to pursue each other. But the reason guys don't (usually) just walk up and hump women like animals is because as humans we have the capacity to use intellect to temper instinct.

If #metoo makes some people reevaluate their behavior and thought processes, that's good. And if a man can't tolerate the risk involved in a dating scenario, he shouldn't proceed.
Awesome, I love how someone takes one line that I said and then use it to express their opinion, without reading the entire message.

Great, so no men will approach any women and the women can now decide which guys to go after. That is fine by me, as long as women don't complain that guys don't hit on them anymore.

Women do forget that guys have been sexually harassed, they just don't say anything.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:46 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Guys hit on women on social media or in bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies