Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,765,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
According to the Nike ad?
Would't you agree he has taken more than little heat for starting the kneeling movement? Even the president of the US is raving about it. Many teams did not sign him for that reason, so of course he sacrificed something. His career. You don't have to agree with him to admit he got something started, and based on sales figures Nike made the right call with this ad campaign. The ad itself is not about him, it is an inspirational ad, and it just ends with him (I am referring to the TV ad).

Old 09-09-2018, 04:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,674,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
This is why the ad is imperfect, IMO. Yes, he sacrificed his career. Yes, I agree with what he's doing and I think he should be commended for it. But, the ad almost wants to spin it into a situation wherein he's now dirt poor and barely getting by because of this sacrifice. JMO. I wish they'd presented it differently.
Again, you're too focused on money. How about the love of the game? How about the fact that he wanted to retire on his terms?

It's hard enough for these guys when they retire because so much of who they are involves being in uniform. But he's been shunned. I don't say that out of pity because I always said he had the right to do what he wanted and team owners had a right to do what they wanted if they didn't like it.

He could have gone about this a completely different way and come out a hero, but he chose an ineffective, lazy way to protest that amounted to little more than grandstanding, in my opinion.

He sacrificed his career for nothing because in the end, taking a knee didn't do a damn thing.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,610,015 times
It's really hard for me to pick a good guy in this debate. I admire protesters who are willing to stand up (or kneel) for what they believe in, but I have serious issues with some of Nike's other practices, unless they have seriously changed their ways with regards to labor. This new campaign does not make them heroes. It just makes them a company who has taken a marketing risk that may or may not succeed.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Took a lot of "courage" to make $39 million at the NFL.
He sacrificed his career. He isn't playing football, is he?

Quote:
And now he's sold out to one of the worse exploiters of child slave labor on the planet.
That is old news, like 20 years old. They've made it right. Try again.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,564,166 times
I don't care what you think of Colin Kapernick and the stand he took, but it's a little ridiculous to try to say he sacrificed nothing. He had a pretty good career as an NFL quarterback. Now he doesn't. It's because he took a knee. That's a sacrifice.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
With 39million or more, does he have to worry about a career?
That's not your call.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Took a lot of "courage" to make $39 million at the NFL.

And now he's sold out to one of the worse exploiters of child slave labor on the planet. Says you got to "stand" for something. LAWL

Perfect metaphor for those who support him.

Yeah, those people who exploit child labor in China are ALL over, eh?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
To be fair he took some heat for his political views
For some he is a hero for minority rights
For some he has hurt American football and disrespected veterans

Old 09-09-2018, 04:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,423,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Again, you're too focused on money. How about the love of the game? How about the fact that he wanted to retire on his terms?

It's hard enough for these guys when they retire because so much of who they are involves being in uniform. But he's been shunned. I don't say that out of pity because I always said he had the right to do what he wanted and team owners had a right to do what they wanted if they didn't like it.

He could have gone about this a completely different way and come out a hero, but he chose an ineffective, lazy way to protest that amounted to little more than grandstanding, in my opinion.

He sacrificed his career for nothing because in the end, taking a knee didn't do a damn thing.
I disagree with both but ever notice that everyone knows Kap's name while very few know who Malcolm Jenkins is?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:44 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,098,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It's really hard for me to pick a good guy in this debate. I admire protesters who are willing to stand up (or kneel) for what they believe in, but I have serious issues with some of Nike's other practices, unless they have seriously changed their ways with regards to labor. This new campaign does not make them heroes. It just makes them a company who has taken a marketing risk that may or may not succeed.
I agree with you. Nike has very unsavory business practices that will offend sjws and feminists. However Nike to virtue signal to a segment of Americans while they have issues across the globe with labor is a a huge slap in thr face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies