Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:13 PM

909 posts, read 545,917 times

Advertisements

Team JASON.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/s...microwave.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Sorry, what's Team Jason?

I saw the news. Very disturbing.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:41 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

From the article linked:

https://fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/

Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

From the OP's link:

Members of Jason, a secretive group of elite scientists that helps the federal government assess new threats to national security, say it has been scrutinizing the diplomatic mystery this summer and weighing possible explanations, including microwaves.

After reading the story in the NY Times, I agree that it's a very disturbing concept. Microwaved brains!? Yipes!

Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
I live in GZ and knew some of the diplomats affected - I live in the adjacent apartment complex no less. Not people that I would feel inclined to disbelieve. I figured it was probably due to something like the NYT article described. For that matter, my wife and I started experiencing headaches and my tinnitus started getting noticeably worse around the time this was happening, but before the story broke. We took a business trip out of town for a week and the problems dissipated, and returned when we came back. Since the story broke, we haven't had issues, but we have since relocated full-time anyways.

If you think about it, world powers have always had secret tools and weapons that they don't divulge to the public. Look at the still as-yet unidentified stealth helicopter that crashed in the Bin Laden raid... it's entirely plausible that governments have developed and deployed sonic weapons.

The bigger question to me is, why? Most of the people affected were midlevel staff who it wouldnt really make sense to harass or punish for tensions between the US. I am a legal resident and businessman whose financial foundation is in China and married to a Chinese woman, so it doesn't make much sense for them to target me - though I am a well-known figure in the provincial expat community. What would be gained by targeting me and my family?

If this is indeed what happened, I would suspect that it was a rogue element within the local PSB - possibly only a couple individuals even - who decided to take action against Americans as revenge for sanctions, etc, without the implicit permission of the central Government, who clamped down and stopped it once it came to light. Beijing has been pretty averse to causing tensions with the US in the grand scheme of things and again, I don't think that there's much they would gain from causing brain damage to American consular staffers... Certainly not, relative to the fallout. But, there definitely is, or was, something going on.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-02-2018 at 11:48 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
They withhold this kind of stuff from the public for good reason though, there are some things the public is better off NOT knowing about.

If you really want to be shocked check out 'The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'. Still in effect today!!! This is why we are still driving cars with internal combustion engines/ wheels, still using fossil fuels, etc etc.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 PM

435 posts, read 176,400 times
This is exactly why we need to be doing everything we can to educate our population. Things like this and hacking are harder to trace and prove. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than conventional weapons as well. I would rather buy one or two less fighter jets and use that money to develop a crap load of very talented hackers or forensic computer analysts.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:33 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,114,969 times
Microwave dish parties are always fun, here's one in Costa Mesa, Ca.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es75riu6Xnw

Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They withhold this kind of stuff from the public for good reason though, there are some things the public is better off NOT knowing about.

If you really want to be shocked check out 'The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'. Still in effect today!!! This is why we are still driving cars with internal combustion engines/ wheels, still using fossil fuels, etc etc.

Based on what? Simply because inventions can be kept secret doesn't necessarily mean any of them are viable replacements for the internal combustion engine and/or fossil fuels.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I live in GZ and knew some of the diplomats affected - I live in the adjacent apartment complex no less. Not people that I would feel inclined to disbelieve. I figured it was probably due to something like the NYT article described. For that matter, my wife and I started experiencing headaches and my tinnitus started getting noticeably worse around the time this was happening, but before the story broke. We took a business trip out of town for a week and the problems dissipated, and returned when we came back. Since the story broke, we haven't had issues, but we have since relocated full-time anyways.

If you think about it, world powers have always had secret tools and weapons that they don't divulge to the public. Look at the still as-yet unidentified stealth helicopter that crashed in the Bin Laden raid... it's entirely plausible that governments have developed and deployed sonic weapons.

The bigger question to me is, why? Most of the people affected were midlevel staff who it wouldnt really make sense to harass or punish for tensions between the US. I am a legal resident and businessman whose financial foundation is in China and married to a Chinese woman, so it doesn't make much sense for them to target me - though I am a well-known figure in the provincial expat community. What would be gained by targeting me and my family?

If this is indeed what happened, I would suspect that it was a rogue element within the local PSB - possibly only a couple individuals even - who decided to take action against Americans as revenge for sanctions, etc, without the implicit permission of the central Government, who clamped down and stopped it once it came to light. Beijing has been pretty averse to causing tensions with the US in the grand scheme of things and again, I don't think that there's much they would gain from causing brain damage to American consular staffers... Certainly not, relative to the fallout. But, there definitely is, or was, something going on.
Appreciate you giving us your experience with it. I had wondered if it dissipated or left lingering damage, this is all a bit freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies