Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 06:51 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the bold.

It is true that often black women are called "angry" or "mean" or some other sort of connotation when we are assertive and white women are often called "hysterical" or a ***** for being assertive or just expressing themselves in a way people don't want women to express themselves.

It is really ridiculous honestly.

On the blue, I don't think we will really know because of the other hullabaloo. I do think the fine is excessive that she received. I'm inclined to believe that she didn't break the rule only because of how she reacted to the call. I'm sure she is p*ssed at her coach but she cannot change the fact that any coaching is a penalty on the player. I can understand how she got angry at the whole situation.

Also, even if he was trying to signal her, it is common for the umpire to warn the player to tell the coach to stop before a penalty. Her coach noted this as well and said that same umpire does it often but didn't in this case. I agree with that and feel maybe this umpire just had/has a personal dislike of Serena.

I'll note that I believe that I think that that whole situation kind of took Serena out of her game. She went down hill after that first interaction. Again, I love her and I do think she could have behaved better but I also understand how "into" a competition an athlete can get. She has always been hyper competitive but I think she let her frustration get the best of her in this situation. I do think the umpire could have told her first to have whatever he saw of the coach doing - to have her get him to knock it off. That would have avoided the whole thing. But this interaction took Serena out of her element and it was the reason why she lost. She is old enough IMO to realize that often people try to get under your skin to negatively influence your performance. I understand she is sick of stuff like what occurred since it has been something she's dealt with at this particular tournament before, but she should know better IMO and should have kept her head in the game instead of the conflict with the umpire.
shudder to think that Naomi played a great match and actually beat her...……...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
WHO defended Bobby Knight and John McEnroe?
No-one in this thread has, but their temper tantrum are part of their fondly remembered legacies while many are using this to tarnish Serena's legacy. Jeez people get so defensive over things sometimes (even myself.)

Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Any one can be satirized but don't use racist stereotypes. Comparing Bush to a chimp isn't racist yet Obama is. Know why, Obama is black and people often compare blacks to chimps. Huge lips were common too...
The cartoon did not make Serena look like a chimp and it's still called racist. Obama was only half black and if someone's features of any race are reminiscent of a monkey or simian that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I've seen caricatures of Trump that made him look simian.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, you are engaging in stereotypes and prejudice with this post.

Your grandmother's experiences with black women do not mean all black women have a "chip on their shoulders."

My grandmother was also a Depression baby and she was the only black person who worked as a director in "personnel" back in the 1950s-1980s at her job. She was frequently called a racist label in front of her given name. She was called a "nigg-a-rette" as well at her job and was the butt of all sorts of racist jokes by the white women she worked with.

Her experiences with white women made her distrust and dislike white people in general. She grew up in a working class home but lived around a lot of whites, as did her mother, my great grandmother. Both of them, because of their experiences with ignorant, racist, dirty/filthy white people in their neighborhoods and who they worked with - exclaimed how happy they were when I went to college at an HBCU because I wouldn't be around white people.

Their experiences are not my own. I don't think all white women are sheisty like my grandmothers did - dirty and underhanded is what they called white women - out to stab you in the back and throw you under the bus and not caring about anyone or anything but themselves - they basically considered white women to be selfish, self absorbed racist. Yet I'd personally not state these things about white women. I know a lot of white people myself and I know some that get angry, some that are dirty/underhanded and a large amount of kind and compassionate white women who also get angry about things that warrant anger.

That is the point. Serena's anger was warranted. Most people who get angry are angry for a particular reason. My grandmother was angry about being called a nigg-a-rette yet I bet all the white women at her job, like yourself, wondered why she couldn't "take a joke" or why she looked "mean" and all this silliness that people like to say about black women based probably on some black woman who has been mis streated by whites as I'm sure those black women who worked with your grandmother did. Mistrust and prejudice goes both ways. My point was and is we as women today shouldn't continue those prejudices of each other and your comments previously and this one is insinuating that black women are a generic stereotype.

I'll note I still know a lot of black women who think of white women like my grandmother did - especially the dirty/underhandedness and them being cruel people to get back at you but smiling in your face - being fake/two faced. However, I'd NEVER say that white women as a group are prone to these things like you are doing in regards to common prejudices of black women.

ETA: I am nearly 40 years old. I also dealt with a lot of white girls as a youngster who were VERY similar to how my grandmother described a majority of the girls at my school were sheisty and very cruel "mean girl" sorts of girls - this was not as common with the black girls. Black girls will talk sh*t to your face and you may fight, but they didn't torment people for days on end like the white girls did and laugh about it. So I did notice these streaks that my grandmothers spoke about; however, I decided to look at people as people and not as a generic group. I also had some good friends who were white and so I based my view of white girls/women on them, not the worst acting amongst them. FWIW those mean white girls were VERY cruel to my best friend when I was a girl, who was also white and I had to beat their a$$ about it a few times until they stopped messing with my friend. They rarely talked about me, because, I'd beat their a$$ if they did, unlike the other girls who weren't as rough as I was when I was a girl - another of my best friends was half black/half Mexican and she got horrendously bullied by this group of white girls to where she actually left our school because it was relentless. They mostly bullied her and teased her about her frizzy, what they called "napitty nap" hair and talked about how she looked like a gorilla and then would get all lovey-dovey once a teacher was around and put on a two-faced sort of personality - same thing my grandmothers spoke about. FWIW many black women still think that a lot of white women are "two faced" meaning they will be nice to your face but have these horrible thoughts about you behind your back. Interestingly, you are kind of being this way with your comments. I know enough genuinely nice white women though to know not to make vast generalizations about you all as a group. If anything black women are the opposite of two-faced in a lot of ways. We say what is on our mind and don't hold back and we won't speak ill of you behind your back to save your feelings or make you feel good. The whole "angry" black woman thing IMO is just us being genuine and not fake - something that a lot of people seem to want women to do - smile, grin and bear it, be a "good little woman" and be pretty and never do anything to make someone upset or show any emotion. I'd rather a black woman tell me how she feels versus a white woman who will put on a show of happiness then be an a$$hole behind your back.
so you both have experienced racism. join the human race. It happens to most people.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This thread is about black “angry” women, not just Serena Williams.

I already posted the stats that say black women are largely unmarried and that black men date outside their race. This is a direct result of the perception of black women being “angry” as the OP-ed in the Op believes is perfectly fine to do.

I’ll do it again:

Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried | WBUR News

As an alleged black man you really don't want to play the "stats and stereotypes" game.

You may think that you are elevating yourself or hurting black women but the same people who nod and agree with your anti-black women posts ALSO believe ALL of the negative "stats and stereotypes" about black men.

You can not IMPROVE your own standing as a black man but stepping on the necks and backs of black women. That's not how it works my friend.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No-one in this thread has, but their temper tantrum are part of their fondly remembered legacies while many are using this to tarnish Serena's legacy. Jeez people get so defensive over things sometimes (even myself.)
No, they're not fondly remembered although people laugh at what idiotic behavior they displayed.

Unlike SW, neither one was wildly popular and in the case of John McEnroe, he was hated for being such a brat. Like I posted the other day, SW has gotten a pass apparently but her behavior was so over the top this time that everyone is talking about it.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:07 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Steroids will do both of those things
but those man arms. no woman has muscle like that naturally even if a woman body builds. hmm but steroids can do that .. i guess maybe you might be right. but they look freaky. i think i have seen pics of women who are in extreme body building, but even then you can see they are women.

i dunno, i saw the video where it described her body and she def has a mans body, based on where her navel is placed.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times

The cartoon definitely has some strong racist undertones to it. Its doesn't help that her opponent Osaka is depicted looking like a white woman.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
^^^ The logic: racist satirical cartoons of black people exist, therefore all satirical cartoons of black people are racist.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I don't see a similarity between those two cartoons.

In addition, if you really think it's terrible and racist - why are you posting it for the fifth or sixth time in this thread? Must it be on every page?

Look at any editorial cartoon and you'll see they exaggerate features. In Obama it was his ears. Trump his hair with a bloated face. Hillary has sagging jowls and big bags under her eyes.

That's the nature of editorial cartoons and black people aren't exempt from those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies