Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times

Advertisements

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) on Thursday slammed President Trump over his tweet claiming that statistics showing that nearly 3,000 were killed in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria were falsely inflated.

Ros-Lehtinen told reporters that Trump has a “warped mind that would turn this statistic into fake news” about himself.

“It might be a new low,” she said. “Boy, that’s saying something … How could you be so self-centered and try to distort the truth so much?”

... “3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico,” Trump tweeted. “When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000.”

“This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico,” he continued. “If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!”

- The Hill

Why does Trump make EVERYTHING about himself? He has no idea what compassion is. Apparently he thinks that tweeting about how great he is solves every problem. I'm sure that the people of Puerto Rico who went without water for weeks and without electricity for months definitely feel "loved" by the POTUS. Get real and pass the paper towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) on Thursday slammed President Trump over his tweet claiming that statistics showing that nearly 3,000 were killed in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria were falsely inflated.

Ros-Lehtinen told reporters that Trump has a “warped mind that would turn this statistic into fake news” about himself.

“It might be a new low,” she said. “Boy, that’s saying something … How could you be so self-centered and try to distort the truth so much?”

... “3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico,” Trump tweeted. “When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000.”

“This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico,” he continued. “If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!”

- The Hill

Why does Trump make EVERYTHING about himself? He has no idea what compassion is. Apparently he thinks that tweeting about how great he is solves every problem. I'm sure that the people of Puerto Rico who went without water for weeks and without electricity for months definitely feel "loved" by the POTUS. Get real and pass the paper towels.
The people of PR must be really proud of their corrupt government for leaving all those supplies to rot while they played political games with the citizen's lives.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,106 times
Trump is right, the death toll attributed to the hurricane have been outrageously inflated to make things appear a lot worse than they truly are. Anyone who died following the storm was instantly added to the storm death toll regardless of cause of death, it's easy to do and hard to prove otherwise.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Trump is right, the death toll attributed to the hurricane have been outrageously inflated to make things appear a lot worse than they truly are. Anyone who died following the storm was instantly added to the storm death toll regardless of cause of death, it's easy to do and hard to prove otherwise.
Exactly. How many police and fireman died of health complications AFTER 9/11? Their deaths have not been added to the body count that I am aware of. If you died in a car crash 30 miles away from downtown NY on 9/11/2001, your death was not added to the body count. The media is trying to take EVERY death in PR regardless of the cause as part of the storm.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Exactly. How many police and fireman died of health complications AFTER 9/11? Their deaths have not been added to the body count that I am aware of. If you died in a car crash 30 miles away from downtown NY on 9/11/2001, your death was not added to the body count. The media is trying to take EVERY death in PR regardless of the cause as part of the storm.

Just because people did not die during the storm doesn't mean deaths afterward were not a direct influence from the storm. Without power and fresh water, I have no doubt that thousands did die in the months afterward. By the way, the 3000 was not from the government, it was from an independent study.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:43 AM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Quote:

Trump is right. When he left the island the death toll was surprisingly low. The deaths came from their local government hoarding the supplies that were given to them which resulted in people not getting the care they needed.

The Left trashes Trump so much that he feels the need to strike back at them to set the record straight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Left tries to blame Trump for what is going on in Venezuela...

Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Just because people did not die during the storm doesn't mean deaths afterward were not a direct influence from the storm. Without power and fresh water, I have no doubt that thousands did die in the months afterward. By the way, the 3000 was not from the government, it was from an independent study.
Nobody is saying these people didn't die, they just weren't killed by the storm. If some old lady died a month after the storm because she slipped and fell on her wet driveway and that water came from an ice chest from a worker trying to fix her power that was knocked out by the storm she shouldn't be counted in the hurricane death toll... unless you're using Democrat math.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:04 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Trump is correct!

Death toll for over a year was about 64. then via a hierarchical coding edit, subsequent deaths long after the hurricane past, were inflated to 3k.

Standard methodology was used to determine the 64 deaths. The 3k deaths were based on creative statistics and coding changes.

Pr is in the middle of the atlantic ocean. Pr is mismanaged. PR was a wreck as far as infrastructure and communications. FEMA is not there to build nations. It is there to help and so it did. PR needs to take responsibility.

Even the PR gov complimented Trump. now he has backed off a bit for political advantage.

It is common for coding changes or new technology to reveal incidents that were not counted and as such can create epidemics without a single case being reported. Most deaths from radon, 2nd hand ciggy smoke, etc are statistical projections.

Take any situation and you can use stats and coding to generate a pandemic wher there is none except on paper.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yes, later deaths are added to the tolls of 911 if they can be accounted for...

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...y-one-to-2752/
9/11 death and injury total still rising

"The 9/11 death and injury toll is still rising as this week’s 14th anniversary of the terrorist attacks approaches.

Nearly 21,000 people have filed eligibility claims with the September 11th Victims Compensation Fund as of Sept. 6, up more than 4,000 from this time last year, according to updated data that fund officials released Wednesday.

More than 9,000 claimants have been determined eligible for compensation of medical bills and other expenses, and more than 6,000 have received compensation decisions."

Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM

29,542 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying these people didn't die, they just weren't killed by the storm. If some old lady died a month after the storm because she slipped and fell on her wet driveway and that water came from an ice chest from a worker trying to fix her power that was knocked out by the storm she shouldn't be counted in the hurricane death toll... unless you're using Democrat math.
And just how, exactly, do you know what you are claiming to be true? Have you seen any report categorizing the dates and causes of death? What the actual numbers may be or proof "enemies of Trump" are trying to inflate these numbers unfairly? If not 3,000, what is the number far as YOU are concerned?

What strikes me most of all when I read many of these comments either condemning Trump or defending him is clear partisanship bias, blindness. Rather than consider the numbers as reported, along with the source and ongoing efforts to get the numbers right, we decide what to believe based on our political bias.

Trump is a chump either way if you ask me, not because I was never a supporter and never will be, but because of what the man says and does, and all the lies, almost daily, coming right out of his own mouth. I've commented about this before, also today in another thread, and again I've got that typical feeling it's past time not to waste any more time this morning. No one changes their mind about anything anyway, regardless the facts, reason, logic, or lies...

“I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you’ve thrown our budget a little out of whack,” -- Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies