Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 06:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times

Advertisements

So they took actual death certificates in the last year.
They compared them to statistics from the last 7 years to guesstimate what was the normal trend for death in Puerto Rico.

They then took that information and applied it to the deaths in the last year to try and accurately estimate how many died because of the hurricane -- as opposed to what would have been normal trends.

Let's say the 2900 is high -- even if it is 2000 -- it's not 64.

Today in North Carolina a lady had a heart attack. Lines were down. She is recorded as a fatality because of the hurricane.
In Puerto Rico-- the doctors would have put a heart attack.

Yes -- Puerto Rico had previous infrastructure problems plus the logistics of getting aid to them further complicated the recovery.

Yes -- there were errors made. Given that FEMA should have had a contingency plan for Puerto Rico -- given their reality -- poor infrastructure, etc......there is no question...there were things overlooked by FEMA.

Trump & FEMA need to acknowledge the problems, commit to making sure they can be fixed in the future and stop playing silly games for their egos.

People died, their egos should be able to take a little hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,295,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They compared them to statistics from the last 7 years to guesstimate what was the normal trend for death in Puerto Rico.

They then took that information and applied it to the deaths in the last year to try and accurately estimate how many died because of the hurricane -- as opposed to what would have been normal trends.

Today in North Carolina a lady had a heart attack. Lines were down. She is recorded as a fatality because of the hurricane.

Yes -- Puerto Rico had previous infrastructure problems plus the logistics of getting aid to them further complicated the recovery.

Yes -- there were errors made. Given that FEMA should have had a contingency plan for Puerto Rico -- given their reality -- poor infrastructure, etc......there is no question...there were things overlooked by FEMA.

Trump & FEMA need to acknowledge the problems, commit to making sure they can be fixed in the future and stop playing silly games for their egos.

Keyword in bolded statement is today. Not six months from today.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,236,110 times
Quote:
The head of FEMA was asked about Puerto Rico and he so much as said that one death is too many, and that FEMA's goal is to provide aid in those times of crisis. He implied mistakes were made and lessons learned.

When Hayley was Governor -- she introduced the lane reversal of the major highway leading into Charleston. It was a great idea but wasn't handled properly. The state didn't communicate clearly how and when the reversal was being carried out and folks got caught on a one way road out when all they wanted to do was go home from work. There was no blame assigned, no pouting, ....they fixed it -- and next time it went smoother.

That's how you do it.

Trump could have merely said -- the report guesstimating the revised death toll is heart breaking. It is a guesstimate but it is true that any death is too many. Puerto Rico's location, infrastructure issues, made it difficult for FEMA to respond. There were important lessons learned and we will work with the Puerto Rican government to improve and be ready for future disasters.

It's not his fault. It isn't but he's reaction -- he's refusal to have the federal government accept responsibility for mistakes made because his ego is so fragile is disturbing and insensitive.

I also think he suffers from social awkwardness that renders him incapable of knowing what behavior is appropriate at this critical times.

Throwing the paper towels like it was some kind of sporting event .....was not funny or charming.
Fists pumps and silly faces as if he is heading to a rally when he is going to a somber 9/11 memorial.....

He's awkward.

For me, he lacks compassion, empathy and that means he just doesn't know how to behave or what to say...unless it is scripted for him.
this is all perfectly said.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,094,011 times
We have so called experts that use a computer to tell us what the temperature will be on July 22, 2062 in Times Square NYC, so it seems easy for them to also guess how many people died six months after a hurricane which includes dying 3 months after because of cancer and five months later from a heart attack. The experts claim that 2975 people died as a result of a hurricane ,within six months. What was the total amount of deaths on the Island in the same time period?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
So I gather the latest narrative is that Democrats BLAME Trump for the disasters.

Nope that's not it -- that's a feeble attempt at deflecting.

Trump is not to blame for the damage in Puerto Rico and nobody ever said he was.

What he was responsible for as President was providing aid, recovery etc...in a timely fashion via FEMA

It didn't happen. Yes Puerto Rico has unique challenges but as the President and his fans remind us constantly, everyone was well aware of these challenges. FEMA is meant to adjust its aid based on the unique requirements of the location.

Nobody is blaming Trump for the deaths.

Trump is being accused of not recognizing the disaster to its full effect and dismissing the damage in Puerto Rico -- including the fatalities.

He continues to dismiss it all because he doesn't want it to reflect badly on HIM...he doesn't care about the people.

And don't think he cares anymore for any of us....unless it gets him a vote.

He's not a compassionate person.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:44 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,850,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I cant believe I have to explain this, but for example, what if someone looked away for a second and got beaned in the head by a roll? Just one small example of physical. Mental....sigh. if you cant see the indignity, well...
When I saw him throw those paper towels, to people that had probably lost their homes, lost people they loved, or were just really worried about their situation, I found it appalling. Trump has no class or empathy. I think he was so used to his dad and others getting out of jams, he has no feeling that people may be hurting.

Oh here, have a paper towel, see how generous of a president you have. Trump is a low life cad and not even presidential and commander in chief material; yet there he sits in all his glory. When and how this terrible part of our American history ends, is a mystery. The sooner the better for the sanity and security of our country.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,871 times
Quote:

why not take the ACTUAL death certificates that shows the cause of death and medical records and see if it was related to the hurricane and at what level......they have all the information in Puerto Rico right there.....but instead they paid $300,000 to some university to do a computer model test to come with some numbers.

FEMA is not made to do everything and where is Congress on this? the executive branch can't do the job of Congress and the job of the state and local government of Puerto Rico.

so if a hurricane hits my state and I die of a heart attack 2 months after, how does that has to do with the hurricane?.......that's like blaming a bad day at work for my heart attack and blaming the CEO of the company.......or blaming my ex-wife because she left me and I blew my brains out with a gun.

if you are going to attach any death to a hurricane especially during the recovery phase, you need to back it up with medical records....lack of food, lack of water or lack of medicine.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,283,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
When I saw him throw those paper towels, to people that had probably lost their homes, lost people they loved, or were just really worried about their situation, I found it appalling. Trump has no class or empathy. I think he was so used to his dad and others getting out of jams, he has no feeling that people may be hurting.

Oh here, have a paper towel, see how generous of a president you have. Trump is a low life cad and not even presidential and commander in chief material; yet there he sits in all his glory. When and how this terrible part of our American history ends, is a mystery. The sooner the better for the sanity and security of our country.

now you are talking $hiat......I'm from Puerto Rico and I was told by the people there was that Trump was handing food and stuff by hand like he did in Texas and Florida but it was very crowded and the people in the back couldn't come up front to get the stuff and meet the President and they were telling him from the back to throw them the items and he did. Nobody there was offended.

the media blew this out of proportion because they hate Trump.

when a famous person is handing out stuff in any event and is crowded the people in the back are left out and is not uncommon for the celebrities and people to reach out and throw them items to interact with the people in the back.

that's how stupid people are that get offended for small things especially when they weren't even there.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,404,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Deaths. Based on a computer model. Ridiculous.
That didn't stop the institutionalized Trump Derangement Machine from engaging in another week of fake news.

I could type up an invented death toll, print it, and send it to the Washington Post and they'd then cite it as evidence of deaths: "But look, its printed by a computer! It must be true"! That's essentially the same process that the are citing.

The communist institutions and supporters in this nation frequently circularly reference one another's political BS to "support" further BS.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:00 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
The "deaths" statistic is a figure based on formulas and other statistics. It's not a count by any means.

He sent a lot of aid to PR, many people went there to help. I have no problems with how he, or we as a county, handled the PR situation. People who focus on paper towels or how he speaks instead of what actually occurs aren't really seeing the big picture and should be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies