Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:48 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I take all polling with a grain of salt. But some have been shown to be better than others. Anything from the alphabet channels or WaPo is not even polling but propaganda trying to help the democrats. But Gallup or Rasmussen have proven to be more accurate.
The most accurate poll historically has been the Selzer poll, which was D +2 recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
I am not a Trump supporter and only started the thread because it would make good discussion. And I like to read the tea leaves and see where things might be going. I would prefer that the dems take both houses. I would like some good old fashioned gridlock. We almost have that now with the GOP as it is.

As a Libertarian I was fine with the tax cuts but iffy at best with anything else Trump or the GOP wants to do. Plus I want to see the dynamic of Trump and the Dems. Might be different than many expect.
Money isn't everything when America crumbles around us because of what Trump did... If money was all that matters, then I'm all for Trump being in office the full term because my retirement is rocking!

But no, I care about the environment, income equality, infrastructure, consumer protection, our country's standing, etc. more than the extra hundred dollars I'm getting in my paycheck from a temporary tax cut.

Favorability rating also isn't everything as attested by the below facts:

"....favorability doesn't always foretell success in non-Presidential elections. In October 2002, during President George W. Bush's first term, Democrats had a favorability rating of 58%, one of their highest ever and Republicans had a favorability of 53%, also relatively high. Despite this, Republicans gained a net of 10 seats in Congress. In-power parties usually lose seats during midterms."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/24/polit...ity/index.html

Old 09-24-2018, 06:03 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The most accurate poll historically has been the Selzer poll, which was D +2 recently.

Are you talking about Ballotpedia that Selzer runs? Because I believe they show other polls but do not poll themselves.

Link?

Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I love it that the leftists are still bleating about Russians. The rest of America thinks they are fools.

The Real Wave Is Red : Republican Sentiment Soars To Record High

Americans are VERY tired of this nonsense.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 PM

542 posts, read 448,583 times
Rasmussen has struggled with accuracy for many years. Remember, a broken clock is right twice a day. The biggest problem with polls in reflecting accuracy when there is late breaking news (like the effect of the FBI on Hillary Clinton). The polls, due to there collection dates (3 days or more), do not always capture the voters who are persuadable and volatile.

Republicans are worried or at least pretending to be (maybe trying to motivate unhappy GOP voters who may sit this one out). Even if you don't trust polls unless they say what you want to hear, the candidate do because many polls have a strong track record for accuracy.

Here is a great place that evaluates polls.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Here is another interesting page on the same site.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 09-24-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Are you talking about Ballotpedia that Selzer runs? Because I believe they show other polls but do not poll themselves.

Link?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j4bh7uofb...BER+5+2018.pdf

Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 PM

542 posts, read 448,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I love it that the leftists are still bleating about Russians. The rest of America thinks they are fools.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/24/majo...rump-poll.html

It would seem, according to this poll, most American's disagree with you

Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Do they? Is that how it seems?

Seems to me that the GOP is split right down the middle. The Never-Trump Republicans are advising other Republicans to vote Dem in the midterms.

You really think Bill Kristol or Jeff Flake reads Breitbart or listen to Rush or care about the alt-right conspiracy theories? That bozo in the WH has done pretty well at uniting the left. Keep hoping though.
I'd agree with that. The country is due for a middle centered party to take over, one with cooler heads and reason behind their actions.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I haven't heard much about the Russian stuff except from Trump.

And you folks.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'd agree with that. The country is due for a middle centered party to take over, one with cooler heads and reason behind their actions.

Our current two headed party who pretends to be two parties does not want any competition. Very tough to break through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies