Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,639,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
I wonder how many Ford-shamers on this forum would be singing a different tune if that had been their daughter or wife testifying.
I wonder how many grown women never told their fathers and brothers the things that happened to them in high school and college. I'll bet a LOT.

According to Chris Wallace - his daughters came forward with things that had happened to them in HS and he was quite shocked.

I wonder how many older men who support Kavanaugh would see him if they knew what had happened in the past to their sisters, mothers, wives, and daughters

Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,565,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not me. I've known a more than a few women (including one of my sisters) who got sexually assaulted by men on dates, and it was their own damn fault for being in those situations.

And I have re-watched Ford's testimony and she still comes across to me as mentally unbalanced. And I have known other people like her, and that's just their manner and personality and not because they ever suffered any traumas in their lives.
So women who get raped/sexually assaulted on a date are responsible because they were got themselves into a "situation" called "dating"?

How about the woman who is regularly beaten, raped and threatened with death by her partner? She doesn't leave, so it's her fault, right? Do you know anything at all about psychological complexity? A whole constellation of variables that stem from one's life experience go into how one responds to such situations. It cannot be reduced to a simple formula.

And how about the 8-month-old infant and 82-year-old woman who were raped (both happened in the town I was living in several years ago)? I guess the infant's diaper was too provocative? And the 82-year-old woman should have known better than to walk to the corner market at sundown?

Clearly, you know nothing at all about rapists. It makes no difference whatsoever where the victim is, what she/he is doing, or what she/he wears. Most rapists are "power rapists," meaning that they rape in order to exert power over someone more vulnerable; rape is seldom driven by sexual desire and it certainly isn't unleashed by the victim's behavior. After all, most men don't rape, regardless of the "situation." In sum: It is the rapist who is responsible for a rape. Nobody else.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM

8,444 posts, read 4,784,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I always believed the 2nd accusers allegation that during a drinking game Kavanaugh may have pulled his pants down and exposed himself to her. Seems in line with many drinking games I participated in. I saw one to many penises I did not need to see lol I do not believe that in itself disqualifies him, however, if true that he was contacting his friends prior to the allegation coming out to see if they would back him up then he lied under oath. He said he did not know about the allegations until the New Yorker story. I have yet to see these texts to see if they prove he knew prior to when he said BUT if they do in fact prove that then he lied. Stupid too. Why lie if you knew you contacted many old friends?
Kavanaugh DID NOT lie about his drinking as he did say "sometimes he had too many beers" vague but admitting to drinking too much. Kavanaugh DID NOT lie about the drinking age. He never said he was 18 during his senior year summer he stated that some friends were so were legally able to obtain beer.
Not enough evidence to reject his nomination on Ford's allegation alone because too many holes and inconsistencies in her story. Swetnick is a whackjob. Her interview contradicts her sworn affidavit. She saw him "hanging around" the punch bowl. Please.
So long as you conclude that Kavanaugh should not be confirmed the dems don't care how you get there.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM

2,695 posts, read 1,683,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I always believed the 2nd accusers allegation that during a drinking game Kavanaugh may have pulled his pants down and exposed himself to her. Seems in line with many drinking games I participated in. I saw one to many penises I did not need to see lol I do not believe that in itself disqualifies him, however, if true that he was contacting his friends prior to the allegation coming out to see if they would back him up then he lied under oath. He said he did not know about the allegations until the New Yorker story. I have yet to see these texts to see if they prove he knew prior to when he said BUT if they do in fact prove that then he lied. Stupid too. Why lie if you knew you contacted many old friends?

We are so fixated that even stupid drinking party games where a girl flashes her breasts or a man his penis or either sex mooning can immediately derail a SC nomination in this hyper-partisanship atmosphere. So one is forced to lie to cover up these incidents and then lie to help friends cover them up.

If this country acted more sensibly and took things that matter seriously and ignored these stupid antics of teenagers and young adults, we might be elect more sensible individuals. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,565,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, they had one shot at this and if it’s successful they can’t possibly do something like this to the next nominee without looking awful. In my mind they already look as awful as they can be, but there are still independents out there who somehow haven’t figured out this is all a game. They sure would if they pulled this same stuff on the next one.

I want everyone to remember the actual confirmation hearing where every few minutes some woman protester would come into the hearing screaming and yelling and get arrested (all after they got their bail money from the protest organizers first). This whole thing has been a circus, and it’s 100% the fault of the Democrats. I really hope they pay at the polls.
So Kavanaugh can scream and yell, manifesting a clearly unstable personality, and yet still deserve a seat on the SC, while women protesters who do so deserve to be imprisoned? Got it.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 AM

3,010 posts, read 1,191,748 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSED1t1fknk

Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,129,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It was incredibly bizarre and really stupid for him to make the remark about the Clintons, who have absolutely nothing to do with any of this ****show right out of the blue for no reason at all.

Everyone picked up on it immediately, and pegged him as not only partisan, but prone toward conspiracy theories. Just a really really stupid thing to say, and I think it made everyone think twice about his judgment.

It actually sounded like one of those paranoid Trump tweets, and despite the RWNJs ability to kid themselves into believing that just everyone believes it--nobody other than the extremist right wingers do.
I think the "Clinton" reference came from the fact that reportedly at least one of Balsey-Ford's team is a Clintonista who may/might/was sent over to help.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 AM

45,904 posts, read 27,553,766 times
I originally thought Kavanaugh would be pretty much a centrist on the court... not anymore.

With their behavior, Dems have turned him into Clarence Thomas #2 if he is approved.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 10-02-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,639,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think the "Clinton" reference came from the fact that reportedly at least one of Balsey-Ford's team is a Clintonista who may/might/was sent over to help.
We don't need a conspiracy theorist on the SCOTUS.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,129,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't forget - she has the support of her "beach friends" as well! Whatever the heck that even means.

And yes, she owns several homes (worth millions of dollars) she can choose from when it comes to where to live. Funny, though, only one has two front doors - the one she uses to "host Google interns."
Don't forget that she's afraid to fly...... But only to D.C. I guess as she's been quite the world traveler over the years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies