Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Well in 2022 Trump won't be in office so your point is mute. The new Democrat President will likely elect someone like her to replace her. But will Repugs attack her replacement? Probably.
SCOTUS justices are appointed and have to be confirmed. They aren't elected. If Republicans continue to hold the Senate, what makes you think they wouldn't refuse to hold a hearing in, say, 2022 if Trump didn't get reelected in 2020 ?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:44 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Any way their satanic little brains can think of. I would like to share a weapon I used when I was attacked right after the 2016 election by an alcoholic neighbor with a bad case of TDS. I said "you know... mental illness can be treated" and she blew her stack like Mt. Saint Helens. It was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time. And always stay calm and act concerned for their well being, don't let them light you up. It makes them even crazier if they cant get you angry and agitated.
Having spent a fair amount of time in the metro, and having had a relative who lived there for almost two decades, I can't imagine that there are scads of happy, calm Trump haters in Mesa .

Old 10-07-2018, 12:49 AM

609 posts, read 303,289 times
My money is on "racism" or some catlady claims she bullied her in high school.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:54 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Gorsach was comfirmed without any attacks. And there were no scandals with him. Kavanaugh will always be a stain on the supreme court.
You mean Gorsuch was a give away because he was replacing a conservative seat, so the Democrats didn’t manufacture a scandal against him.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:57 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
William Rehnquist died in office.

Antonin Scalia died in office.

Both appeared considerably healthier than Ginsburg.

The reason you consider this an unlikely outcome for Ginsburg is what.....??
Ginsburg is so frail and old already...there is very little chance she will live to meet her stated goal of five more years on the bench.

I did the math on it in another thread, it was generally like 20%. (actuarial tables) But that's just an average for persons her age...and not knowing her family history it could be less/more.

But based on her current apparent level of vitality....I think that's pretty conservative. Not that I wish some decrepit old person a bad end - but honestly, I can't see another outcome if she sticks with her plan. I think she has passion for her role as a progressive guardian, but she can retire with dignity - she's earned it....she leaves nothing on the table by retiring, really.

And the harm it would do to the Court to have a seated judge kick off during a session for example...its just bad PR...that you have people so old they are dying on the job. I wonder if she has considered that Americans don't like the idea of the very aged making decisions they won't be around to have to contend with.

With regards to timing, I think its reasonable to think there is a pretty good chance that Trump will be able to pick her replacement.

Whether he'll have a Republican Senate, on the other hand...not nearly as good of a chance for that.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:33 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Ginsburg is so frail and old already...there is very little chance she will live to meet her stated goal of five more years on the bench.

I did the math on it in another thread, it was generally like 20%. (actuarial tables) But that's just an average for persons her age...and not knowing her family history it could be less/more.

But based on her current apparent level of vitality....I think that's pretty conservative. Not that I wish some decrepit old person a bad end - but honestly, I can't see another outcome if she sticks with her plan. I think she has passion for her role as a progressive guardian, but she can retire with dignity - she's earned it....she leaves nothing on the table by retiring, really.

And the harm it would do to the Court to have a seated judge kick off during a session for example...its just bad PR...that you have people so old they are dying on the job. I wonder if she has considered that Americans don't like the idea of the very aged making decisions they won't be around to have to contend with.

With regards to timing, I think its reasonable to think there is a pretty good chance that Trump will be able to pick her replacement.

Whether he'll have a Republican Senate, on the other hand...not nearly as good of a chance for that.
How will we even know if rbg kicked the bucket? She looks lifeless half the time now. She could probably be dead during cases and it wouldnt appear any different until everyone left for the day, and she didn't..

Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
How will we even know if rbg kicked the bucket? She looks lifeless half the time now. She could probably be dead during cases and it wouldnt appear any different until everyone left for the day, and she didn't..
i was thinking similar....great post by the way. RBG could be gone tomorrow, in any case, almost certainly DT will name the Justice to replace her and with Republicans likely to increase their Senate advantage and the naming of a woman as the next Justice, the Dims are toast and they know it.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:29 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
If Ruth Ginsburg leaves the Court in 2022 and Pres. Trump nominates Amy Barrett, how will the Dems attack and slime her?

The Democrats will have no more llegitimate issues to attack her on than they did last time. So will will inevitably resort to lies, personal attacks, etc. as they always to.

What form will the coming attacks against Amy Barrett take, the next time they have an opportunity to destroy a conservative?
Most likely the same way republicans went after Obama for eight years.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
If Ruth Ginsburg leaves the Court in 2022 and Pres. Trump nominates Amy Barrett, how will the Dems attack and slime her?

The Democrats will have no more llegitimate issues to attack her on than they did last time. So will will inevitably resort to lies, personal attacks, etc. as they always to.

What form will the coming attacks against Amy Barrett take, the next time they have an opportunity to destroy a conservative?
By claiming she got where she is on her back with her legs open. Liberal hacks seem stuck in that mode.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:40 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:

The same way Republicans would slime her. It's just not their turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies