Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:16 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It will be. Hiring companies look around.

I will never forget in 2005 my future employer said, "I ran your credit (Illegal for him to do it in his state). It was all I needed to know about you. If I were to offer..."
Absolutely. Hiring managers will often search out perspective employees on social media. Young people really need to watch what they post on places like Facebook or Twitter. As far as credit, yes they feel someone with credit issues may not be a responsible employee. Another big issue is tattoos on exposed areas such as the lower arms or neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:20 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Looks like not many Leftists in college or HS these days will ever get a job in their lives with the way they behave.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Didn't HS/college behavior always affect future job prospects? It's not called a "permanent record" for nothing.
Of course it's always been present in some form or another.

If you attended high school in a smaller city or town and did stupid stuff throughout those years; it eventually came back to bite you in the hiney if after your college/university years you applied for a job at some national/multi-national company that had set up shop in that city/town.

Those of your peers already employed there would have been quick to remember you performing some criminal behaviour you got away with due to the period or your family wealth.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
A "permanent record" has facts, thus evidence. Legal protections (those pesky individual rights inside courts of law) have all manner of evidentiary rules for stuff like official, permanent records.

Hearsay, rumor, innuendo and false accusations have no evidence, which is why courts of law generally ignore them. But, under mob rule, "not in court of law" apparently makes hearsay, rumor, innuendo and false accusation the equivalent of due process. Because, you know, not court of law and all.

No, people subjected to the whims of mob rules will not go to jail, but have their life, reputation, families, etc destroyed? Yeah, so what? Not jail, because not court of law, so no foul, right?
Very true, which is why despite all the mob chanting of ‘Lock Her Up’ Hillary isn’t in jail.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:18 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
If you act badly in high school and college and then LIE about it, yes, it says a lot about your character and your fitness for a job.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:18 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You're completely missing the actual point.

Apart from the fact that being a Justice is a lifetime appointment to preside over the country's laws, and is therefore not like any ordinary job - the true issue isn't that he's a sleaze, but rather that he was shown to be lying, he was shown to be hostile and lacking in self-control, and he was shown to be flagrantly biased. That's what should disqualify him.
That's an absolute lie on your part. He was being attacked before he was even nominated. The left was going to oppose any nomination by President Trump. They would fabricate anything to block or delegitimize any appointment by him. There is NO evidence that the party Blasey Ford described even happened. The other totally unsubstantiated allegations of gang rape are inexcusable. No one of the left cares about his angry testimony in response to the outrageous allegations and questioning. That is just another pathetic excuse to defend character assassination.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
That's an absolute lie on your part. He was being attacked before he was even nominated. The left was going to oppose any nomination by President Trump. They would fabricate anything to block or delegitimize any appointment by him. There is NO evidence that the party Blasey Ford described even happened. The other totally unsubstantiated allegations of gang rape are inexcusable. No one of the left cares about his angry testimony in response to the outrageous allegations and questioning. That is just another pathetic excuse to defend character assassination.

Every party attacks the other parties Supreme Court nominees. Every party knows that eventually, a justice *will* get appointed from the opposite side. This is not new.

What we've witnessed is typical vetting of a Supreme Court justice. This one happened to have a few allegations against him. If they skipped him and moved on to the next, there would also have been opposition but maybe not to this degree. Neil Gorsuch seemed to get nominated with only the "traditional" amount of fanfare. To boot, Kavanaugh has proven to be a bit of liar in his past justice function and with his credit.

We all knew that a right-leaning judge was going to be appointed. I still disagree that Kavanaugh was fit for the job. He wasn't. Besides the Blasey-Ford allegation and his response to it, the other things were bothersome before that even came up. Of their list of 90 or so potentials, they could have done better for the country.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 AM

301 posts, read 189,317 times
Yeah, actually - the choices we make, the people we surround ourselves with, the "mistakes" and crap behavior we're guilty of as "kids" can and sometimes will affect your future. You don't just get to brush that sort of thing off and blame adolescence. So many people say "oh, everyone acts that way" but guess what? THEY DO NOT. I didn't, ever. I have nothing to worry about.

Diving into a potential SCJ's past and uncovering information that speaks to his character is relevant, regardless of when these things happened. If someone is up for a promotion at an investment bank and has fraud or embezzlement allegations brought against them that somehow didn't come to light until then, it matters and it's important to look into the behavior behind the situation. If someone is going to head up the DEA and at the 11th hour, a college friend speaks up and lets us know that they had a drug problem in school, it matters. For the 453735th time, this is about character - not crimes.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You're completely missing the actual point.

Apart from the fact that being a Justice is a lifetime appointment to preside over the country's laws, and is therefore not like any ordinary job - the true issue isn't that he's a sleaze, but rather that he was shown to be lying, he was shown to be hostile and lacking in self-control, and he was shown to be flagrantly biased. That's what should disqualify him.
Not in my book. He was being crucified and burned at the stake. I'd yell out in pain if that happened to me too.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I heard from co-workers blasting Kavanaugh's confirmation and how he's a sleaze-ball and dirty old man. How can his college day behavior some 30 years ago can be used to determine his job qualification today? Did we just ignore his 30 year service? I'm sure nobody here is a perfect angel in college. If this sets a precedent, it'll be hard to find any qualified perfect model citizen to hold public office.

Don't worry about it, not that many people are running to be on the SCOTUS. And, yes, those select few should be held to the highest of standards, they make decisions that will affect millions for decades.

We aren't talking about someone who applies to work at McDonalds, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies