Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is private property open for all to use, at will?
Yes 2 1.74%
No 113 98.26%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's a statewide problem, here, and afflicts other coastal states, as well. Not just local.
Public use of beaches is highly variable by state/ county/ municipality. No shortage of municiipalities permit public use but deny access through private property and ban roadside parking. Only those private properties in close proximity of a public beach/ parking tend to be impacted.

As I understand it, 60% of Florida coastline property is private property.

Florida recently enacted a law that stops counties/ municipalities from allowing public use of private beach front property without a court order. Reportedly, many counties/ municipalities intend to take it to court based on historic and continuous use. Then there’s the challenge of enforcement.

This does not present a challenge to Miami because all beach is public land.

One would think public use of your property was apparent before you bought your property. One would think this would have been disclosed before you closed, although I appreciate disclosure requirements vary state to state.

Imagine the public access/ use thing was baked into the price you paid for the property.

Given lot size is a common factor in determining assessed valuation for tax purposes, seems reasonable that the portion of a lot open to public use would be exempted from the assessment.

If I felt as strongly about this as you do, my time would be better spent lobbying the state/ county/ municipality with like- minded property owners instead of posting to an anonymous online forum.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 10-17-2018 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Its already been explained to you, many times. You didn't do your due research on beach property before you bought it and now you are upset.

Context matters, so do not think that just because nearly everyone who voted says that private property shouldn't be open to the public means that you won anything. Context always matters in everything.
Yes, context matters. But what remains unclear and unexplained to my satisfaction, anyway, is what makes beach property any different than any other property.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:34 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, context matters. But what remains unclear and unexplained to my satisfaction, anyway, is what makes beach property any different than any other property.
I think one big part of it is tourism. Beaches bring tourist. Tourist bring money.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Florida recently enacted a law that stops counties/ municipalities from allowing public use of private beach front property without a court order. Reportedly, many counties/ municipalities intend to take it to court.

One would think public use of your property was apparent before you bought your property. One would think this would have been disclosed before you closed, although I appreciate disclosure requirements vary state to state.

Imagine the public access/ use thing was baked into the price you paid for the property.

Given lot size is a common factor in determining assessed valuation for tax purposes, seems reasonable that that portion of a lot open to public use would be exempted from the assessment.

If I felt as strongly about this as you do, my time would be better spent lobbying the state/ county/ municipality with like- minded property owners instead of posting to an anonymous online forum.
Posting to this forum to air the issue and collect a number of viewpoints is most definitely time better spent than posting to an anonymous online forum to tell others they shouldn't have.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You don't believe in personal responsibility, which is the essence of the nanny stater.

Deadbeats aren't my responsibility ether, but the difference between us, is that I don't wish to punish the responsible, and brand/treat them as criminals.
Using any kind of intoxicant is not being responsible. Want to fry your brain using intoxicants, feel free but I will step over the residual mess lying in the gutter without a second thought and laugh at the "responsible" person.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Public use of beaches is highly variable by state/ county/ municipality. No shortage of municiipalities permit public use but deny access through private property and ban roadside parking. Only those private properties in close proximity of a public beach/ parking tend to be impacted.

Florida recently enacted a law that stops counties/ municipalities from allowing public use of private beach front property without a court order. Reportedly, many counties/ municipalities intend to take it to court based on historic and continuous use. Then there’s the challenge of enforcement.

This does not present a challenge to Miami because all beach is public land.

Given lot size is a common factor in determining assessed valuation for tax purposes, seems reasonable that the portion of a lot open to public use would be exempted from the assessment.

The problem, as I see it, is a complete lack of recorded public use easements on privately owned property. Without that, private property is exactly that... private, not available for public use. It isn't the owners who screwed up on this, it's the government agencies that allowed carveouts of privately owned property with no preservation of anyone's "presumed" but legally non-existent right to use someone else's private property.

Watch Knick v. Township of Scott (SCOTUS, 2018). Same assertion by a government agency that the public has a right to infiltrate private property, without the government having to pay the private property owner just compensation as required by the 5th Amendment.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I think one big part of it is tourism. Beaches bring tourist. Tourist bring money.
Huh? There have been lots of references to this kind of thing with no legal connection made whatsoever.

Why would anyone in their right mind think they can access someone else's private property as they please? Be it beach, pasture, or frozen tundra?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
It doesn't need to. By statute and because of long-standing practice (which is cited in the statute), the public gets to use that sand. You can be stomp your foot & hold your breath all you want, but the statute exists.
Florida recently enacted legislation to prevent counties/ municipalities from overriding private property right unless there is a court order to do so. In otherwordd, the county/ municipality must sue private property owners and prevail.

It is very controversial.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...208175159.html

Imagine many private property owners will expect the municipality to enforce the law and address trespassing.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We went all over England this year. In the northern farm country there was mile upon mile of open fields divided by hedgerows. There, anyone is allowed to cross anyone else’s land. The only rule is you must close the gate behind you.

I think that’s nice. I am not in favor of invading the privacy of property owners, but If I owned forested land, for example, I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to walk through it.
Yeah but you don't want the government mandating that it's okay either...

I don't like the idea of having no control over the land I own. Yes, 99.9% of the time, I would allow people to cross it if they needed to, but that decision should be left to me, not the government. What's the point of owning land if you can't control it?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:50 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Huh? There have been lots of references to this kind of thing with no legal connection made whatsoever.

Why would anyone in their right mind think they can access someone else's private property as they please? Be it beach, pasture, or frozen tundra?
Absent any recorded public use easement, that's the question, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies