Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM

104 posts, read 180,572 times

Advertisements

I can understand why some people may feel this way. I personally don't and will say whatever un PC, but truthful thought comes to my mind. I've had many black people pull the race card on me, but it is usually because THEY are the racist ones. the race card usually just labels said person as an idiot, and tends to be a conversation killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 PM

564 posts, read 893,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Is it a surprise to anyone that so many white people -- justifiably -- feel this way? Look at the reaction that people draw when they utter one negative word about Barack Hussein Obama, even if it has nothing to do with race. There is no easier way to elicit a response to the effect of, "well I guess you just aren't ready to have a black man as President."

Seriously, every time I've been in a conversation with at least five other people, and have expressed my dislike for Obama, at least one person in the group has played the race card on me. EVERY time.

Funny how no one is ever accused of being anti-white for not supporting John McCain.
We already know this, some races will pull that card every conceivable time when a white is in the right, and they have no place else to go. Whatever the argument may be, it appears when they want they're way sooo bad...backed in the corner...poomf out it comes. It is a emotional tactic meant to throw you off and back you up, but it has lost all effect on me. When they throw it at you, don't even deny it, 'cause they're on the ropes-go on forward with your case and you will prevail.

How did I come to this conclusion? I'll give you a case in point, if your IQ is above 85 you'll shake your head when I'm done. A driver who has worked at the plant for 5 years now, is, well, um, sociable? I have a better word, but I'll refrain. During his first 4 years the former management repeatedly "asked" him to stop making personal calls on the company phone. He complied. After that management left, he then "resumed" his "sociable" behavior for almost a year during this managements "reign" Once they got settled in, they started going over costs. And low and behold! Did they get a shock at this drivers amount of minutes over what was allotted! I never did get the exact thousands of dollars over the year, but it was enough to have closed door discussions. Now this individual should have been fired, well, no, we are union. So, they instead gave him a written warning and took $500 out of his check. Get this. He filed a grievance with the union because he believed he didn't have to pay a dime. The union came in, and I was told it was a circus in there! How in the world do you defend the actions of this? In the end he paid the $500, especially when they said we have the right to make him pay for the overtures of the whole year! LOL Well the worst part of it all---this white branch manager was accused by said "sociable" employee of being racist during this union/management meeting. They said the branch manager was visibly "hurt" by the accusation. This is one of the most fairest/honest managers I have ever seen. I cannot believe someone could throw such an accusation at someone who has never showed anything but fairness at all levels, when it is plain to see these actions would have been taken against anyone of any race/religion or whatever.

I don't associate with this driver, I keep my eyes straight, and head forward when I pass. I know what he's about, and thus he'll never make up dirt on me. After all I will protect my family, and job. A case of "you owe me something" to the max is the way I look at it.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I remember in one of my sociology classes the topic of race was brought up. My prof gave out some paper detailing a list of all the little inconveniences that come along with being black, for instance; Finding a hair stylist that can actually work on your hair. I made the comment, to the class, that the crap on the list had nothing to do with race but everything to do with capitalism. For instance if there were a larger marker for hair stylists for the black community in our area, there would be more options. Given that our community has a low black populace there aren't going to be many businesses catering to them. Same way for ANY minority in a town. After I said that two black girls refused to talk to me and called me a racist....
You make a good point with the supply and demand argument regarding hair dressers. However,capitalism is not the only thing to blame here. For example, TO THIS VERY DAY many makeup companies do not make colors to suit darker skinned (Black, Latina, Native American, etc) complexions. This goes for both high end (ex Chanel) as well as drugstore brands. There are tons of women out there who would purchase these products, but they're simply not made. It's not as though the colors are available, but only in certain markets. They just don't exist, period. People of color are ignored by many major companies, and you better believe it's about race.

And hell yes, it's extremely inconvenient. Something as trivial as buying makeup, getting your hair done, etc becomes a major chore for black people. Even black hairdressers are trained only to deal with chemically straightened hair. Do you know how difficult it is for a black woman who doesn't straighten her hair to find a hairdresser, even a black one? Simply wearing your hair the way it grows out your head is a huge deal for blacks.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:59 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,315,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Interesting. More details on the study here:

Fear of messing up may cause whites to avoid blacks | Science Blog (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/fear-messing-may-cause-whites-avoid-blacks-15776.html - broken link)
In other words; it is black people's fault if some white people don't like them. EXCELLENT!!! But that being said, I have to wonder when will white people ever take responsibility for their actions or behaviors? White folks are always blaming other people for the problems that they create.

C'mon white people...grow up!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
OK, here's the deal. I talk like an educated white person. If I meet a guy who speaks Ebonics, how do I talk to him? How do I determine exactly where is the line between condescending, and talking down to him? How accurately can I size up each and every individual, to judge immediately where that person will draw that line. Furthermore, if a black person has a chip on his shoulder (and some do), there is likely no space between those two 'tudes, and they even overlap. Who should I be, or who should I pretend to be, in this conversation? I heard two black guys on the bus yesterday, and one of them used the N-word in every single sentence. In what language do I talk to him, so he will not feel that I am using my whiteness to imply my superiority?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:20 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, here's the deal. I talk like an educated white person. If I meet a guy who speaks Ebonics, how do I talk to him? How do I determine exactly where is the line between condescending, and talking down to him? How accurately can I size up each and every individual, to judge immediately where that person will draw that line. Furthermore, if a black person has a chip on his shoulder (and some do), there is likely no space between those two 'tudes, and they even overlap. Who should I be, or who should I pretend to be, in this conversation? I heard two black guys on the bus yesterday, and one of them used the N-word in every single sentence. In what language do I talk to him, so he will not feel that I am using my whiteness to imply my superiority?
I think that's the probelm with this whole thing. If you just be yourself, there will be no question of how you have to talk to someone. If the people you are talking to are not being nice, then just leave them be.

That's what everyone seems to forget, common sense, respect & kindness trancends all racial lines. People of all races respond positively to them, and if they don't, were they really worth your time anyway?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 PM

257 posts, read 1,058,965 times
Quote:
Just be yourself. Don't assume that a person speaking "ebonics" is uneducated. And don't assume that every black person speaks "ebonics." You already have the pre-conceived idea that the black person runs the greater risk of feeling inferior in your interaction. But it might just be the other way around.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,963,265 times
Quote:
A person speaking ebonics probably views television and listens to radio, therefore they would have no problem understanding you, they have probably also had conversations with other blacks who do not use ebonics.
Just speak to the person as you would anyone else, if they get an atitulde and it's not your fault then don't accept the blame.
Self Preservation and common sense will tell you not to use the "N" word.
To make it easy on yourself, just speak to blacks as you would to whites.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
It is not a question of whether they will understand the content of what I'm saying. It's a question of whether they will understnd my attitude when I say it, and interpret it as a favorable attitude. Personally, I don't have a serious problem with this, but my post was intended to be mostly rhetorical, indicating that I could understand how a person could feel uncomfortable with that dichotomy going on.

I live in the "diversity" part of town, and I shop there, and the people I encounter know that if I didn't feel OK about being in their 'hood, I wouldn't be, so it is not an issue that I concern myself about.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown17 View Post
Just be yourself. Don't assume that a person speaking "ebonics" is uneducated.
If someone is educated and speaking "ebonics," then they are play acting, and shouldn't be taken seriously....ESPECIALLY if they are talking ebonics to someone outside of their cultural sub-subset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies