Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If Trump were President then, we wouldn't have had the Cuban missile crisis. Khrushchev wouldn't have put missiles in Cuba. He did it because he thought Kennedy was weak after his inaction when the the Russians put in the Berlin Wall.
Nope Kruschev did it because the US deployed Jupiter Ballistic missiles in Turkey and Italy.

It was the way of the cold war.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Cool heads prevailed during that time. In today's climate, how confident would you feel that we'd won't all die if we were going through that situation with today's administration/politics?
Someone like Trump would never have been elected during the time.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Well, the Russians thought they could get away with it when Kennedy was President. I don’t think they would try wth Trump.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It wasn't cool heads that prevailed. It was open US aggression that initiated the issue.

The US deployed Jupiter Ballistic missiles in Turkey and Italy (geographically speaking on the Soviets doorstep).

In response Kruschev deployed Soviet missiles to Cuba.

JFK and his admin had a hissy fit, that the USSR would act like the US and blockaded Cuba and stomped around the Caribbean being very aggressive to Soviet ships in International waters.

Then the US threw it's pacifier out if the crib and threatened nuclear annihilation if Soviet missiles were not removed. Kruschev and Kennedy had a chat and both sides stood down and removed their missiles.

There was a similar event with the deployment of IRCMs to the UK and Europe in the 80s. It wasn't as confrontational, but the run up was pretty much the same.

So we voluntarily went through that in the early 60s, we could have avoided the confrontation by just not being douches. So far since Reagan the only statement of anything that might cause something similar was Hilary Clinton having a platform including enforcing a non-Fly zone over Syria (given Russia was known to be already operating in the Syrian theater). That was one key issue that for me made Clinton an unacceptable candidate, either she would risk open war with Russia, or, was clueless of the probable outcome of that platform therefore not just dangerous, but incompetently dangerous. Not that I voted Trump either, but could not in good conscience vote Clinton.
The conundrum over which I choose to suspect the majority of Americans were struggling with.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's way more complicated that you realize because Turkey is the country with the proof....but they got it illegally by bugging the Saudi embassy. ooops!
I do not doubt that at all. I have admittedly not been following it as closely as I probably should.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Actually Trump has leveraged American muscle without triggering a war. His standoff with Kim Jong Un resulted in Kim coming to the table. Maybe there is something to Trumps approach even if it sometimes looks clumsy.

Obviously Kennedy handled it well, the weapons were removed from Cuba and no war ensued. The only thing I do know is that showing weakness is dangerous and could lead to war. In situations like that we need to show strength, show our resolve to go to war all while praying that we do not have too.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually Trump has leveraged American muscle without triggering a war. His standoff with Kim Jong Un resulted in Kim coming to the table. Maybe there is something to Trumps approach even if it sometimes looks clumsy.

Obviously Kennedy handled it well, the weapons were removed from Cuba and no war ensued. The only thing I do know is that showing weakness is dangerous and could lead to war. In situations like that we need to show strength, show our resolve to go to war all while praying that we do not have too.
Kim picked Trump's pocket. Made him look like a fool (of, course that's easy to do).

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Nope Kruschev did it because the US deployed Jupiter Ballistic missiles in Turkey and Italy.

It was the way of the cold war.
He also perceived JFK as weak. I doubt any of our foreign enemies perceive Trump as weak.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He also perceived JFK as weak. I doubt any of our foreign enemies perceive Trump as weak.
Wrong. Putin regards Trump as his pet Poodle.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:42 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
For real? You don't dispute deploying nuclear ballistic missiles to the Turkey/Soviet border of the time, but then say Kennedy was perceived as weak by Kruschev. Other than lobbing a B53 nuke at the Kremlin how much more aggression could Kennedy project? It's not like he challenged Kruschev to a dance off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies