Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 06:08 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Republicans have the numbers to pass e-verify without a single Democrat cooperating with them.
Bingo. Leave it to Republicans to blame the Democrats for the things the Republican majority failed to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I hear a lot of democrats claim that conservatives "vote against their own self interests" but I've never fully understood how anyone could vote for their own self interest by supporting candidates who in turn support illegal immigrants either through illegal immigration, sanctuary city policies or abolishing ICE.

Can anyone explain this to me? The only way I can see where it might make sense is if the voter is a legal US citizen but has family members who are illegal, otherwise I can't rationalize it.
I don't think Democrats as a whole, and certainly not as a political party, support illegal immigration. They support legal immigration, but the party does think that people who were brought here as children, and are American in everything but heritage, have only known America, go to school or work here, should be given a path to citizenship. Not people who came as adults, and thus made that choice.

Republican leadership (not the base) actually supports illegal immigration, since their donor companies use them as cheap workers w/o benefits and can't make any demands on them.

One way to stop illegal immigration is to stop companies from hiring them. But neither party focuses on that. They focus almost exclusively on the border. We should focus on the border, but should also raid the farms and companies that are using illegal immigrants as workers. Those workers undermine American wages.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
When it doesn't count US Indians who were always here and free persons. Illegal aliens are not "the People" and are more alien than US Indians. Why would you count someone who is not supposed to be here and is to be removed? Also to be a slave is a form of being considered an outsider. How many times are we going to go over this?
We don’t count Indians exempt from taxes because they were expressly carved out of the census by the Framers. The Framers did not carve out “outsiders and foreigners” no matter how much you wish they did. That’s why outsiders and foreigners living in the US are counted, but Indians exempt from taxes are not.

As I said, you’re just making things up to suit your agenda. The Constitution offers zero textual support for your claim.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Bingo. Leave it to Republicans to blame the Democrats for the things the Republican majority failed to do
So we'll see you guys writing letters and holding up signs demanding Trump to pass everify? More effective than complaining on these forums.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You, of course, know that some democrats need to be on board to pass laws. You do know this, don't you?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
1. Because illegal immigrants don't actually negatively impact me. They actually improve my daily life a great deal.
2. Because I am not so dense a human being that I lack compassion and cannot imagine myself in their situation. There but for the grace of god go I.

Really? So you are exempt from paying your share of the over $100 billion a year that illegals cost us? You don't give a damn about your fellow citizens who have lost their jobs to them, had their ID's stolen or lost a loved one who was killed by one of them or had some other heinous crime committed against them and you call yourself compassionate?????

Just what are they doing to improve your life? Is it all about you and no one else? What a selfish anti-American attitude! Have you no respect for the rule of law either?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? So you are exempt from paying your share of the over $100 billion a year that illegals cost us? You don't give a damn about your fellow citizens who have lost their jobs to them, had their ID's stolen or lost a loved one who was killed by one of them or had some other heinous crime committed against them and you call yourself compassionate?????

Just what are they doing to improve your life? Is it all about you and no one else? What a selfish anti-American attitude! Have you no respect for the rule of law either?
The $100 billion number you cite is completely fabricated and literally every time you cite it someone provides you with a link completely debunking the source. Yet you continue to cite it. Why?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So we'll see you guys writing letters and holding up signs demanding Trump to pass everify? More effective than complaining on these forums.
I even provided a link proving that the Democrats blocked e-verify the last time the Republicans ask for it but these lefties just ignore it and still blame the Republicans. Must have a cement block between their ears.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:37 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You, of course, know that some democrats need to be on board to pass laws. You do know this, don't you?
Not with a Republican majority in Congress but nice try at the blame game. The fact is, the Republicans are having a lot of trouble passing any laws with the clueless Twitterer-in-Chief at the helm.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I even provided a link proving that the Democrats blocked e-verify the last time the Republicans ask for it but these lefties just ignore it and still blame the Republicans. Must have a cement block between their ears.
Republicans do not need a single Democrat vote to pass e-verify. Not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies