Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 569,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Europe has always been a political cesspool. Religious wars, world wars, seesawing between extremes...they've got it all.
You keep forgetting that America had slavery, invading, and other horrible things going on as well. Most Americans trace their ancestry from Europe... study history

Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,616,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Here’s a nice list of his issues with the first with citations.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speec...ess-disgusting
A trash blog that I’m sorry to have clicked on that takes things out of context and makes things up. Quote and source Trump saying that the government should criminally penalize speech based on its content. I’ll wait.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
You keep forgetting that America had slavery, invading, and other horrible things going on as well. Most Americans trace their ancestry from Europe... study history
Almost all countries in the world have a history of slavery and war.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,604,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
No states allow marriage to six year olds or nine year olds, or even 12 year olds. There are none of these marriages. All states have age of consent laws too, and none are set below 16.

That is incorrect. Many states have no minimum age set at all. Tenn recently fixed this, but until a year ago you could marry a 12 year old. And that happened. Even younger, and not just Tenn.

Over here in America in 2018 we still have girls marrying their statutory rapists who impregnated them, and that is mainly due to Christians who insist upon it. Their parents, I mean.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I included something here and now I'm taking it out ...

About Half of US States Set No Minimum Age for Marriage
"If you thought child marriage didn’t exist in the United States, think again."
Cultures changes over time. When my grandmother, born in the late 1800's didn't marry until age 18, she was thought, by her siblings to be an 'old maid', as they married young and had had their children by age 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
No states allow marriage to six year olds or nine year olds, or even 12 year olds. There are none of these marriages. All states have age of consent laws too, and none are set below 16.
Quote:
Well this is more looking at ancient times with a modern filter. Child brides were a more common thing across cultures then and still not eradicated today. In this case, something that (classic)progressive thought is doing away with what had been old largely religious norms.
Child brides in Western cultures typically referred to marriages of state, not actual marriages to children by adults.

Women who had reached sexual maturity were not considered children, like the pre-pubescent. That's what we're referring to here - pedophilia requiring that element of sexual attraction to a pre-pubescent person or a person engaging in sexual activity with a pre-pubescent person.

That's the definition of pedophilia, and that's what Mohammed was. A pedo. Doesn't mean he didn't ALSO have age-appropriate relationships. Just that he had sex with pre-pubescents (well, at least one - assuming that the religious text is accurate).
Child Marriage and Religion in the United States
"In New Jersey, the law remains that minors can marry with parental consent at 16, and anyone younger can marry with consent of both parents and a judge’s approval. (my bold)
<snip>
Marriage involving minors — which most often involves young girls and older men — doesn’t always occur due to strict interpretations of religious custom.
<snip>
“It isn’t exclusive to the Muslim population,” she says, negating the notion that child marriage is only an issue among those who practice Islam."
_______

Old 10-26-2018, 09:59 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,233,931 times
Quote:
That is the Islamic justification as well phantom, age of consent was as low as 9 years old(when they claim it was consummated) with the onset of puberty.
Reading comprehension problems? I said marriage of state, not actual marriage. IE to ensure secession. These were marriages in name only, not examples of children being sexualized.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:59 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,920,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Interesting. So the headline to this thread is not true.
Of course it's true. If the court says you are meanly speaking ill of Mohammed, you don't have free speech protection.

Or were you defending the behavior itself-----saying it's okay for old men to force kids to have sex, and they shouldn't be criticized for it??

Old 10-26-2018, 10:02 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,233,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is incorrect. Many states have no minimum age set at all. Tenn recently fixed this, but until a year ago you could marry a 12 year old. And that happened. Even younger, and not just Tenn.

Over here in America in 2018 we still have girls marrying their statutory rapists who impregnated them, and that is mainly due to Christians who insist upon it. Their parents, I mean.
Again, age of consent is 16, at the lowest level in the US.

And if there are any actual child marriages they are either in religious zealot sects or foreigners. This is not an American practice and never has been.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:03 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A trash blog that I’m sorry to have clicked on that takes things out of context and makes things up. Quote and source Trump saying that the government should criminally penalize speech based on its content. I’ll wait.
notnamed is right ...

"Someone can write an article or book, totally make up stories and form a picture of a person that is literally the exact opposite of the fact, and get away with it without retribution or cost. Don’t know why Washington politicians don’t change libel laws?"
Donald Trump on Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 in a tweet

oops, there's more ...
Donald Trump inaccurately describes libel law
""I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money," Trump said at a February rally in Fort Worth, Texas. "We're going to open up those libel laws.""

Old 10-26-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
notnamed is right ...

"Someone can write an article or book, totally make up stories and form a picture of a person that is literally the exact opposite of the fact, and get away with it without retribution or cost. Don’t know why Washington politicians don’t change libel laws?"
Donald Trump on Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 in a tweet
That poster is not right. Trump is 100 percent right. Libel is specifically excluded under the 1st Amendment and is a private action brought against a private party for false statements. It has nothing to do with free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.