Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Anderson Cooper has won several awards, including the DuPont Award for his coverage of tsunami in the Indian Ocean in 2004, and a Peabody Award for CNN's coverage of Hurricane Katrina. He has also received eight Emmy awards and the Edward R. Murrow Award

Don Lemon won an Emmy for a special report on real estate in Chicagoland and various other awards for his reporting on the AIDS epidemic in Africa and Hurricane Katrina. While at NBC, Lemon covered the explosion of Space Shuttle Columbia, SARS in Canada and numerous other stories of national and global importance. He certainly isn't the best journalist, but he is probably not the worst either. He has been cited by Rolling Stone Magazine for his on air gaffes.

Most of those who watch these two do not take everything they say as truth.

I watch other independent sources like
BBC News BBC - Homepage
Reporters without Borders https://rsf.org/en/

I read factcheck.org https://www.factcheck.org/
and accuracy in media https://www.aim.org/

Try watching many sources and figuring out what is real instead of just watching any of the mainstream media including foxnews.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed by awards given by other journalists. Slobbering, knee-padded sycophantic toadies.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Progressives feeling smug while lapping up the "news" from Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper.
That is like saying the right gets all of it news from Hannity and Rush Limbaugh.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Actually I got as far as the OP's name and quit.
Reputations will do that to ya.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:39 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes, they do that purposely, and they explain why they fact check the Onion. So it is not like they are naive about it or think they are doing a real article.

From Snopes--

"...The Onion may be the most well known source of satire in the United States, but its content still manages to fool readers on occasion, especially when they encounter it removed from its original context. That phenomenon occurred yet again on 18 August 2018, when the Facebook page “Black Twitter” posted a video purportedly showing a news report about a judge in Detroit who ruled that a white female teenager accused of murder should stand trial as an African-American man instead...

"..The photograph and headline stemmed from a 22 January 2018 item published by The Onion which consisted of nothing more than those two elements.

"....The Onion is, of course, a satirical web site that was founded in newspaper form in 1988. .."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ju...rican-american

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ic...n-border-wall/
Yeah, I've seen stuff on this forum passed off as truth that turned out to come from the Onion.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:40 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Newsflash: "Progressives' don't get their news from Don Lemon OR Anderson Cooper.
Those on the right never read a newspaper or go to reputable journalistic sites. They seem to thrive on absurd sensationalism and know that they will never find that outlandish stuff at legitimate news sources. Just like the folks that would actually purchase The National Enquirer when it was still pushing garbage like two-headed alien babies.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Actually I got as far as the OP's name and quit.
Reputations will do that to ya.
You just reminded me that I forgot to rep the OP, so I went back to do it. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is the folly of our times. Even when someone tries hard to create news so outlandish - so far-out - that NO ONE in their right mind would buy it, millions do! And they repeat it and are shocked by it. Many of the headlines even show up in places like....here!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.08a07817733f

"Nothing on this page is real,” read one of the 14 disclaimers on Blair’s site, and yet in the America of 2018 his stories had become real, reinforcing people’s biases, spreading onto Macedonian and Russian fake news sites, amassing an audience of as many 6 million visitors each month who thought his posts were factual."

This is why it is often useless to talk sense to many people - they aren't even close to being grounded in reality.

And he's laughing at "alt right conservatives"
"We live in an Idiocracy,” read a small note on Blair’s desk, and he was taking full advantage. In a good month, the advertising revenue from his website earned him as much as $15,000"

I echo the publisher of this satirical web site
"Is there ever a point where people realize they’re being fed garbage and decide to return to reality?”
millions of liberals believe the conspiracy sites too

for nearly a decade from 01-08 liberals were believing alex jones and his 9/11 was an inside job done by bush

Old 11-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

for nearly a decade from 01-08 liberals were believing alex jones and his 9/11 was an inside job done by bush
Liberals did NOT believe that.

Truthers did--and most Truthers are not liberals.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:47 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I realized just how utterly stupid some folks were becoming when they fell for a guy in a pimp suit straight out of a bad 1970's movie infiltrating and uncovering scandals at an ACORN office...
C'mon - look at "Who is America" - Dick Cheney signed a waterboarding kit and many political officials promoted "gunimals" - guns inside stuffed animals for use by 3 year olds to defend their preschools.

You can't beat reality with ACORN.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

I don’t recall that being the case but there are plenty of examples of people on this site that believe 9/11 and Sandy Hook were hoaxes. Remember those who thought that a military exercise called Jade Helm was an effort by Obama to take away guns. Just look at all the people who believe there is actually a deep state, ignorance reigns supreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies