Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times

Advertisements

thank God we live in a country with a real leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM

185 posts, read 96,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Like I said in another thread, this isn't the protest you all think it is. If it was, the Wapo, NYTimes and all the usual suspects would be wringing their hands and talking about "Europe's Deplorables" and how the protests must be crushed, et al.

This is middle/working class Europeans asking for a bigger slice of the welfare pie. Macron is the first French president that stopped beating around the bush and told the French people they have to work for a living. This is the inevitable result of that. Notice how all of the concessions/walkbacks are of more welfare or of rolling back tax cuts.

Oh, and BTW, all those Black and Brown folks already in Europe aren't going anywhere.

If they ain't going anywhere, they ought to level up. But trust me, they'll look for the next best thing. It's happened here in America, once ICE started cracking down on illegal immigrants, where they go? To Canada of course. Sooner or later Canadians will get tired of the B.S.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The French and the Dutch aren't sending anyone to that meeting said one report. That's not true according to the link but others are not participating.

https://www.news24.com/Africa/News/m...awals-20181207

This link say otherwise and France is in the boycott with other UN nations.

EU countries mass BOYCOTT of UN meeting making MIGRATION a HUMAN RIGHT
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...s-human-rights

A NEW United Nations initiative to class migration as a HUMAN RIGHT is being boycotted by European Union (EU) member states, including Italy, France and Austria, who have all rejected the proposals in favour of tougher border controls.
PC GONE MAD: Criticising migration could become CRIMINAL offence under new plan |UK Express

A LEADING MEP has warned EU citizens they could be “jailed” for criticizing migration policies if a new United Nations agreement is acted upon. “One basic element of this new agreement is the extension of the definition of hate speech.

“The agreement wants to criminalise migration speech. Criticism of migration will become a criminal offence.

“Media outlets that give room to criticism of migration can be shut down."

Kewl !!!
The Great Obama was in favor of this plan ...... we dodged a bullet.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Default Burning France: What the rioting is all about, away from the media lies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bya...feature=em-lsp

Friday 14th December 10am Westminster #yellowvestuk full details here https://twitter.com/Recolutionisco1/status/1072928889880670208?s=19

Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Macron is facing a vote of no-confidence.

So you now have Merkel standing down, Theresa May not standing in a future General Election and the prospect of Macron being ousted.

Europe is indeed undergoing rapid change.

Emmanuel Macron faces no confidence vote in France - what happens next?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM

May survived??? It should have been a vote of the people, not the globalist buddy, buddies.
The foxes, watching the hen house, is the perfect analogy

Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I really don’t know what the rioting is about and I don’t care what the reasons are. I’m just happy to see people take to the streets. I wish it would happen in this country for once because our politicians DAMN SURE don’t listen to us.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
May survived??? It should have been a vote of the people, not the globalist buddy, buddies.
The foxes, watching the hen house, is the perfect analogy
May survived only on the promise that she would evenually stand down and would not fight another election.

I am not sure how the French system works but Macron is in real trouble and is very unpopular.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I really don’t know what the rioting is about and I don’t care what the reasons are. I’m just happy to see people take to the streets. I wish it would happen in this country for once because our politicians DAMN SURE don’t listen to us.
Pounding sand, makes no noise.
Everyone knows... Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
At first I thought it was just a bunch of hoodlums wreaking havoc, but after spending a few days in Paris and talking to people, I realized that they've had ENOUGH of their government answering only to the rich and not listening to the people.

People in Paris can take public transit, but people who live in rural areas have to rely on cars. Often times these people live paycheck to paycheck, so having higher gas taxes means less money for them to live off of. The gas tax was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

In France, unemployment is VERY high among young people and if you want a good job, you have to live in a bigger city which has a much higher cost of living. Most of my friends (who are 25-30) live in the suburbs of Paris with roommates because it's cheaper and commute an hour or more into the city to work. In most cases, when you first start working, you are only a temporary employee. It takes years to get a CDI which is a contract with the company meaning you are a permanent employee. It's hard to fire people with a CDI and they get full benefits.

But the problem is, what is the government supposed to do about high housing costs and high cost of living? They don't have any control over why rent is 2000EUR a month in Paris for a small apartment.

I wish people in the US would be more like the French and protest when things aren't right. Imagine how much change we'd see if thousands or millions of people marched in DC. Yes, you can vote, but only for politicians who make promises. What happens when they don't keep those promises? Wait another few years and vote in another one who also makes promises?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies