Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 01:00 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was around 7% when Trump took office. It was nearly 30% in 2009.
My numbers may be wrong I got them from here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=detr...&client=safari

Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,715,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Factories open, and close. The media typically reports the closings, and under reports job creation by small, and large business alike. These are probably old, obsolete factories, and any production will probably go to the South. Just more examples of Unions killing themselves, and companies doing what they are supposed to do. Try to make money for their stockholders.

The lack of knowledge of business, finance, and economics by the Left never ceases to amaze me.
Ah, so I'm sure you were saying the same when Trump was pushing the 400 jobs he "saved" for Carrier as if it was a world-changing event! Turned out Carrier actually lost jobs in the end (in total), but never mind - I'm sure you were happy to see all those Press Releases and rallies.

But then, two years into his term, the loss of 15,000 GOOD jobs (paying many times what Carrier did) - that means nothing, right?

And you are amazed?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,757,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
My numbers may be wrong I got them from here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=detr...&client=safari
Well, at least it shows the trend going back to 2009.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:17 PM

26,601 posts, read 15,170,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know Obama was coming. He can share the blame on the economy, but can't be given any credit for it either.

What does your comment have to do with my post?

Obama pushed GM into a special bankruptcy where they could avoid significant structural changes - including to some inefficient union policies. Even the CEO said this was a mistake.

Throwing a mountain of money at an insolvency and inefficiency problem without making significant changes is what a fool does or what someone does to do political favors as a short term fix.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:20 PM

4,266 posts, read 3,190,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup -- especially with the auto industry pointing to trade wars/tariffs as part of their problems.
The auto industry is changing....rapidly Sedans are going away and that along with raising interest rates (according to several experts) are two of the main reasons for the rif (reduction in force).

Old 11-26-2018, 01:25 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,705,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Maga!!!

I think MAGA stands for Make American (jobs) Go Away.

Trump certainly hasn't done a damn thing to help any of them !

Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 PM

29,652 posts, read 14,769,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
This is the inverse of how things actually function. You need to refine manufacturing and develop better ideas/products in order for manufacturing to be strong.

And this thread has left me scratching my head overall. The US is not a growing market in comparison to many other parts of the world. We are closing ourselves off from growth in order to see minor increases in a more stagnant market. Add to it that the greatest profitability/job safety would be in producing products that can be sold in multiple markets.

We already have an auto market that skews heavily towards a type of vehicle (large trucks and SUVs) that are not desirable in significant quantities in most other parts of the world. If you want irony- Ford was able to bring back the Ranger small truck because it was already being produced for other markets.

And for the 800th time- automation and streamlined manufacturing practices are real things. They exist. They would have peeled off the majority of jobs over the last several decades regardless of where those jobs occur.

And the idea that MAGA includes folks moving form Michigan or Ohio to the sunbelt to chase manufacturing jobs is a joke. Those folks wanted the return of high playing, low threshold, long-term jobs in the communities where they already reside. That was the whole allure...

Exactly. With countries like France and Spain , and provinces like British Columbia blathering that they will be ending ICE vehicles sales by 2040, there is a wide open market ... potentially... for something that no one is really interested in at the moment. Seems like a huge gamble.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Gee, WHY should that be with the allegedly BOOMING! economy?
To be fair, politics aside, the pricing on new cars have gone up - and wages haven't increased as much.

That, combined with more reliable cars that tend to last longer, people are hanging on to their current cars or buying used cars instead.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,348,625 times
These plants are focused on manufacturing sedans. Demand is way down for sedans. That is what is driving these plant shutdown.

Ford saw this coming and sharply decreased sedan production.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:12 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,363,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
jobs are coming back, to include manufacturing jobs

we should not have bailed-out failed companies
Which manufacturing jobs, Foxxconn, Mercedes, BMW. How about coal country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies