Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
If he is not making any money doing this then he should be left alone assuming most of his neighbors don't have a problem with it. 1 or 2 complainers who probably have a religious or ethnic pretext for their protests can deal with it for a few weeks.
But he's costing the city money. Who should pay for that?

Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
If he is not making any money doing this then he should be left alone assuming most of his neighbors don't have a problem with it. 1 or 2 complainers who probably have a religious or ethnic pretext for their protests can deal with it for a few weeks.
Yep. If you have hundreds or even thousands who love to come see the display and then you have a few complainers? They should not have any say. If I hate Jay Zs music, do I get to complain and cancel his concerts? Absurd nonsense by busy bodies. Looks like there are plenty of them here or else they have ulterior motives.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It didn't seem to cost anything last year when they used "volunteers" to help keep order, according to the article.

Now they want him to pay an exorbitant fee for the full time cops to sit in front of his house doing (mostly) nothing instead of sitting wherever they would usually sit in Woodbridge doing (mostly) nothing? Sounds an awful lot like extortion to me. They know he cant afford to pay $2k a night on top of what must be an enormous electricity bill, which is exactly the point. It is a clever way of silencing people or stripping them of their liberties by ramming bureaucratic red tape down their throats.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
The city, that’s what they are there for. Their citizens who overwhelmingly support it.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Every community has rules so that what one person does doesn't infringe on other people's rights. If you don't like those rules, move to the sticks so you don't have someone living right next door to you.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, until you live near one of these overly elaborate Christmas "amusement park" lawn displays, you have no idea the havoc it causes for everyone in the neighborhood. Just because one person wants to put up enough lights to illuminate the planet doesn't mean I should have to fight traffic to get in and out of my own home, have to chase people from parking on my own lawn, or clean up the trash these gawkers leave behind.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yep. If you have hundreds or even thousands who love to come see the display and then you have a few complainers? They should not have any say. If I hate Jay Zs music, do I get to complain and cancel his concerts? Absurd nonsense by busy bodies. Looks like there are plenty of them here or else they have ulterior motives.
So now your neighborhood is comparable to a concert venue?

Don't the "few complainers" pay property taxes and have a right to enjoy their holiday in their own home? I hope one of these monstrosities moves in next door to you and lets you see just how intrusive it is to your quality of life. The desires of one man does not cancel out the rights of everyone else.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
This article says he collects 'tens of thousands of dollars in donations each year that he donates to charity.'

And I'm sure he's taking those donations as tax deductions, so he's benefiting whether he pockets the money or not.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
So now your neighborhood is comparable to a concert venue?

Don't the "few complainers" pay property taxes and have a right to enjoy their holiday in their own home? I hope one of these monstrosities moves in next door to you and lets you see just how intrusive it is to your quality of life. The desires of one man does not cancel out the rights of everyone else.

That is really the bottom line. It is so easy to not understand how this is a problem until you actually live near one of them. You are trying to relax in your own home, or get out of your own driveway, and you can't because of the circus created on your own street.

I, too, hope the people who think this is ok get one of these monstrosities built right next door to them, and then we will see how THEY feel.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
I don’t have issues with any religious minority at all, in fact I have Jewish friends that I hang out with and interact with Jews all the time. What makes my blood boil and upsets me is the Anti-Christianity by many of the Jews. They take advantage of the Establishment Clause and wants to shovel their religious and culture down in our throats of the majority and many more loyal to Israel than America. Thankfully Muslims have no issues with Christmas and its decorations at all, neither do any other religious minorities besides the Jews and atheists.

Jews are the one’s who challenged the blue laws, religious public displays and Christian holidays at the courts. Thank God they lost
Expecting the Establishment Clause to be enforced is hardly taking advantage of it. Your remarks sound like you take issue with the clause and Constitution.

Teaneck NJ is the most Jewish city in NJ. It has 17 synagogues. It also has a Muslim mayor and a ban on Sunday shopping.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Expecting the Establishment Clause to be enforced is hardly taking advantage of it. Your remarks sound like you take issue with the clause and Constitution.

Teaneck NJ is the most Jewish city in NJ. It has 17 synagogues. It also has a Muslim mayor and a ban on Sunday shopping.
That’s why I hate the Establishment Clause and the Constitution in general.

Teaneck is the most Jewish town in Bergen County, but not in all of New Jersey. Lakewood, NJ is.
Many of those synagogues are made into one so couple of homes next door could be tax exempt. You can technically fit all those Jews into 2 or 3 of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies