Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Apparently trump does not have the patience or capacity to thoroughly research important issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShIOgueZ0Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
After enduring and presenting power point ranger briefings, I get his reluctance to sit through a repetitious hour long droning.

First thing we are taught is (1) tell them what you are going to tell them; tell them, then tell them what you told them and (2) to mitigate that : BLUF Bottom Line Up Front.

Boring and manipulative. But lots of pretty pizzazz pictures to fill in the pages.

Then three options are presented for decision. Option 1 is so far out there and risky that it won't be selected. Option 2 is right in the middle so it is the only reasonable course of action. Option 3 is so status quo or low risk that it achieves next to no discernible change so it would be silly to select that because if you weren't going to take a step why have the briefing?

And there are those presenters who read the briefing, word for word.

I admired the senior leaders who would stop the briefing and say "I can read, just give me the facts." That really puts the briefer on the spot and they must think on their feet AND they must know the material.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Barr and Graham were just speculating on it.

Nevertheless that's a pretty sweet dig at Trump from Graham.

Probably still ticked off from when Trump gave out his cell phone number.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
After enduring and presenting power point ranger briefings, I get his reluctance to sit through a repetitious hour long droning.

First thing we are taught is (1) tell them what you are going to tell them; tell them, then tell them what you told them and (2) to mitigate that : BLUF Bottom Line Up Front.

Boring and manipulative. But lots of pretty pizzazz pictures to fill in the pages.

Then three options are presented for decision. Option 1 is so far out there and risky that it won't be selected. Option 2 is right in the middle so it is the only reasonable course of action. Option 3 is so status quo or low risk that it achieves next to no discernible change so it would be silly to select that because if you weren't going to take a step why have the briefing?

I admired the senior leaders who would stop the briefing and say "I can read, just give me the facts." That really puts the briefer on the spot and they must think on their feet AND they must know the material.

If only there was evidence Trump has ever uttered that statement.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

Apparently trump's attention deficit goes well beyond what you claim. The staff and people who work with trump try many techniques to hold his attention including putting trumps name in every paragraph.

Quote:
Reuters reported that briefers had strategically placed the president’s name in as many paragraphs of briefing documents as possible so as to attract his fickle attention. In September, the Associated Press reported that top aides had decided the president needed a crash course on America’s role in the world and arranged a 90-minute, map-and-chart heavy lecture at the Pentagon.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...sident/549794/

Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Most Presidents, including the sainted Obama, had briefing papers of at most two pages on any one issue.

Distill it and present it. You don't make a watch when all somebody wants to know is what time it is.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most Presidents, including the sainted Obama, had briefing papers of at most two pages on any one issue.

Distill it and present it. You don't make a watch when all somebody wants to know is what time it is.
Not sure if you just made that up but president Clinton and president Obama were known for extensively reading the entire document/briefing, etc..

Quote:
Bill Clinton famously loved long briefings, to the point that aides became frustrated with his tendency to focus too much attention on minutiae and lose the big picture. But although Barack Obama also liked briefings on the longer side—three-to-six page policy papers, and lengthy president’s daily brief—he asked aides to present memos demanding a decision to him with his options distilled in checkboxes at the end.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...sident/549794/

Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
the CEO, in this case the president, has a lot of stuff on his plate. he doesnt have time for minutia. condense your information down to the information they need to make a decision.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the CEO, in this case the president, has a lot of stuff on his plate. he doesnt have time for minutia. condense your information down to the information they need to make a decision.
Yeah, like eating fast food with a college football team. Meanwhile, we supposedly have a humanitarian crisis and a crisis of the soul going on.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:34 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times
This really isn't a big deal. If you work in business you are familiar with presenting executive summaries - a one page summary highlighting the high points of the topic. Busy executives don't have time to get down in the weeds with the details, generally. That is your job if you work for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies