Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the NFL season be suspended pending investigation?
yes. 1 10.00%
no, but institute a lifetime ban from the NFL for any player proven to have assaulted a female. 4 40.00%
no, sweep it under the rug as has been done in the past. 0 0%
other (please explain below). 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDhItRUutY0

A 6-mo pregnant woman was assaulted at an NFL game last week. At least this time it was just a fan. Recently star player Kareem Hunt was caught on video assaulting a woman. He knocked her down, and then viciously kicked her. He has been released, but the team now admits there were three prior violent incidents in which Hunt was involved. Now he's headed to rehab, and eventually will likely be back on the field as a big star.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinio...-against-women

Quote:
[T]he league’s all-too familiar ugly relationship with violence against women is once again front-and-center.
Two fresh cases, different but connected, involving NFL players have sparked a firestorm. Domestic violence awareness organizations are blasting the league -- again.
Given the frequency of such cases, one must wonder whether there is not just correlation at work, but causation. Could there be a link between the CTE and the violence. Should the NFL season be suspended until the NFL violence against women (NFL-VAW) is further investigated? If it prevents one incidence of violence against women, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
My dad told me to never hit a girl.

When I was 19, the only thing between me and the door to get out was a friends psychotic girl friend PO'ed at the world, with a steak knife in her hand.... With me not being off the hit list by association. It didn't turn out so well for her.

I'd have to hear the circumstances that led up and let due process play out.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
why would the whole season be suspended?

Old 12-10-2018, 01:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
The punishment is usually death for standing up during play at Heinz Field. The team actually puts a warning on the scoreboard/makes an announcement during pregame to remain seated.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
That was my first thought even before scrolling down and seeing it was a fan and not a player. I assumed the OP would have been talking about Karrem Hunt. I wonder if OP thinks an entire police department should go on trial when one bad cop shoots someone.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Because in the world of busybodies like travis t, anything that bothers/concerns/annoys/displeases him needs to be banned, and the ban upheld by all levels of government and backed by their inherent threat of force and violence.

So....something bad happens at an NFL game, ban the NFL. Because all the owners, employees, players, fans, secondary and tertiary industries related thereto...they ALL MUST SUFFER because this one thing bothered/concerned/annoyed/displeased travis t.

It's a busybody thing. When a housefly is buzzing around the house, NUKE THE EARTH!!! That's their solution to everything. overkill-y bans and legislation meant to clamp down on life such that nothing can bother/concern/annoy/displease them again.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That was my first thought even before scrolling down and seeing it was a fan and not a player. I assumed the OP would have been talking about Karrem Hunt. I wonder if OP thinks an entire police department should go on trial when one bad cop shoots someone.
But we have much more than 'one bad cop' here. Reread post#1, and the Florida link I posted. There's a long string of cases. If a police department develops an extensive track record of bad shootings, then absolutely the feds should and do step in to investigate and intervene.

Seattle police dept as we speak is under a 'consent decree' with the US Dept of Justice due to repeated problems. Obviously it is not practical to "suspend" an entire department, but I see no reason why we could not suspend the NFL season.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Let them play. If they beat women it's between them and the law.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:04 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDhItRUutY0

A 6-mo pregnant woman was assaulted at an NFL game last week. At least this time it was just a fan. Recently star player Kareem Hunt was caught on video assaulting a woman. He knocked her down, and then viciously kicked her. He has been released, but the team now admits there were three prior violent incidents in which Hunt was involved. Now he's headed to rehab, and eventually will likely be back on the field as a big star.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinio...-against-women

Given the frequency of such cases, one must wonder whether there is not just correlation at work, but causation. Could there be a link between the CTE and the violence. Should the NFL season be suspended until the NFL violence against women (NFL-VAW) is further investigated? If it prevents one incidence of violence against women, it's worth it.
I’m no fan of hunt but what you say is BS. If that’s what you call a viscious kick is hate to see you in a school yard tussle. If an NFL athlete visciously kick a woman on the ground she’s not going to just get up and walk away as that lady did. No excuse for him or your false description.

Continue with your outrage

Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
NFL players are hero celebrities but they are just a cross section of the public.

We have some players that donate to charities and use their status for positive things with kids and community and then we have jerks that beat up on women. The only thing that makes a case like Kareem Hunt assaulting that woman different than other assaults is that he is a pseudo celebrity and so the incident gets press coverage.

I think players that violate the law should be treated like any other person where depending on the crime they could be suspended from their job, fired and ultimately have their day in court.

We shouldn't put these guys up on a pedestal until they earn the position through their good behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies